A better DSSECRET?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

A better DSSECRET?

Post by Enjay »

BONNNNNGGGGG!!!!!1111 A Secret is Revealed!

This is not necessarily a suggestion for the devs directly, but for any talented person able to produce a nice sound for the current DSSECRET in GZDoom.pk3. It's also, partially to gauge opinion to see if there is any appetite for replacing the current sound. Some people may be attached to it, I dunno.

I know that it's very easy to create a personal mod that replaces DSSECRET and put the mod on autoload but, to me, the default sound is a pretty obnoxious and far too loud sound (I have a 5.1 system and I can feel the sub shoving air around below my desk when I find a secret). If you are playing a nice, dark, creepy mod and you come across a secret, that BONNNNNGGGGG can really make you (a) shit yourself (not in a good way) and (b) rip you out of your immersion in the game. I just think that it would be nicer if GZDoom shipped with something a bit more subtle but still a generic electronic sound of some sort; something that better conveys the finding of something secret... somehow.

It would, of course, have to be something with appropriate copyright (presumably made by a contributor here (not ripped from another game) and compatible with the GZDoom license). I may have a go at something myself but I know that there are people on here who are far better placed to make something than I am.

Thoughts? Is it something to replace or am I massively out of step? Does the rest of the community love the bong existing sound?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: A better DSSECRET?

Post by Rachael »

The existing sound is one of the reasons why I turn off secret notifications. Honestly, I actually really like the sound - but I think it's for more sentimental reasons that I do - but I don't like it when it occurs. It's very distracting and intrusive and I feel like it kind of gets in the way, sometimes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Rachael wrote:Honestly, I actually really like the sound - but I think it's for more sentimental reasons that I do - but I don't like it when it occurs. It's very distracting and intrusive and I feel like it kind of gets in the way, sometimes.
I get that. To be honest, its association with Randi and the early days of ZDoom mean even I have an attachment to it. However, like you said, the way and how it appears (IMO) is just awful.

Perhaps someone can come up with something that sounds like a spitiual successor to the current sound but which is far less grating in use.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. The sound is very much a part of ZDoom's legacy. If you don't like it, it's dead-easy to autoload a replacement.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I've never had a problem with it.

(except when I play Quake and the secret sound from that seems so underwhelming)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I've always found it loud and out of place for Doom. It kind of works for Heretic and Hexen, but it's still rather on the harsh side.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I've been using my own somewhat replacement for years. I can't stand the original sound.
My replacement just uses the existing sounds DSGETPOW for Doom and ARTIUP for Heretic. Haven't specified for others as I don't play them enough to bother.
I find it way more fitting than what was shipped with ZDoom.

I also like the whispering of "secret" which is found in a few mods.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”