Customizable default map marker color

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Gez

Customizable default map marker color

Post by Gez »

I was a bit surprised to see it's not already in; I suppose it's just not used often enough so it was forgotten about. The gray color is very hard to see on ZDoom's default brown automap background.
Get Phobo

Re: Customizable default map marker color

Post by Get Phobo »

I already asked for this in November. Perhaps it will get attention this time. :)
It is really surprising indeed. One of the most useful features getting no attention at all.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If I'm not mistaken, the map markers use graphics from the IWAD, don't they? Specifically, the AMMNUM* graphics lumps? While it wouldn't be difficult to create new ones for one's personal use, I agree that the default color doesn't look very good.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I wonder if they can have selectable colour translations applied like other graphics/fonts? Even if the colour choice was more limited than the full choice available for automap lines etc, being able to pick something other than the almost invisible grey would be nice.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

IMHO the default mark's font is ugly as hell. It was OK for a very limited set of automap colors and 320x200 resolution in nineties, but not now.
While keeping it by default, I made this PR to choose between small and big fonts for automap marks, and to select their text color.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why a number and not a font name? That's needlessly limiting.
In that case we could also convert the original markers into a custom font and allow color translations on them as well.
I think if this gets changed it should really be improved, i.e. lift the limit of 10 marks and more importantly, let the user add custom text to their marks. THEN this will be a really helpful feature.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Because these changes suite all my needs.

Marks' size and color are the main issue, not a "typeface" itself.
The default "font" is too old school for me, it will look like crap even with color translation.
I'm using only 2 or 3 marks at the same time.

Sorry, all these improvements are completely useless to me. I'm fine if someone else will do them.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok, then...
Gez

Post by Gez »

And we see once again that perfect is the enemy of good.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The least I'd like to see is to specify the font by name. Specifying it as an index is not going to fly.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Here is the list of font names created with Doom II IWAD loaded

Code: Select all

indexfont
ConsoleFont
BigFont
SmallFont
IntermissionFont_Doom
INDEXFONT_STRIFE_GREEN
INDEXFONT_STRIFE_YELLOW
INDEXFONT_DOOM
INDEXFONT_RAVEN
HUDFONT_RAVEN
HUDFONT_DOOM
Apparently, it's not user friendly and requires some filtering. And the question is how to do that.

Honestly, I cannot comprehend the importance of any sophisticated solution for automap marks.
I spent three times more on a font selector menu item than on my initial implementation of color/font customization.
With the exception of ability to choose own font for marks, it's a pretty useless complication.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

We do not need a font selector, what we need is a CVAR that takes a string so that the user can change the font to anything they want. The menu can just remain as simple as it was with the 3 obvious choices: BigFont, SmallFont and ConsoleFont.

Considering that I currently spend most time on improving the font system, I find it a bit counterproductive to have such an option limited to a few defaults.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

OK, here is a new PR.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The PR got merged. Is it complete enough to cover the bases to mark this thread as [Added]?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote:I think if this gets changed it should really be improved, i.e. lift the limit of 10 marks and more importantly, let the user add custom text to their marks. THEN this will be a really helpful feature.
Out of curiosity, how would the custom text have been implemented? Would the user press the "mark" button, and then a dialog box pops up prompting the user to type the name of the marker?

_mental_, just for discussion sake, I disagree that whatever Graf proposed is a useless complication. Speaking from a player perspective, I can definitely see it being more useful to apply custom labels to map markers.

For example, just by looking at a map, it's more informative to see "unreachable soulsphere here" rather than memorize what is 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...

But of course, I understand the meaning of "amount of development time spent VS amount of benefit gained" aspect of things and I respect that. :) I am simply throwing in my two cents. At any rate, even with your latest PR, it is already a huge improvement.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”