[GZDoom][Heretic] Invulnerability Ring makes screen black

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Azatoth027

[GZDoom][Heretic] Invulnerability Ring makes screen black

Post by Azatoth027 »

Hello,

I've decided to play Heretic again after a long time and had a real blast until I used the ring of invincibility. It seems like using a renderer other than opengl-accelerated makes the screen turn black, leaving no visibility when using that powerup.
I found a thread similar to my issue (the only one I could find actually) and tempering with vid_forceddraw and vid_hw2d didn't help. GZDoom doesn't seem to recognize these commands anymore anyway.

I was using the following mods (in loading order): Removing them didn't help either.

My specs:
  • GPU: GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB
    CPU: i7-8700K 3.7 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB
I'm using GZDoom 3.7.2 Stable.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [GZDoom][Heretic] Invulnerability Ring makes screen blac

Post by Graf Zahl »

This looks like an engine bug. Something must have broken all non-inverse colormaps.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

"Works fine for me" (tm)

I think a configuration file post might help to pinpoint the issue, to be honest. The hardware specs here are way above the minimum requirements for GZDoom, I would not expect issues whatsoever.

(If you post such a thing, please edit out your name whereever it pops up, we don't need to see it unless you're really intent on sharing it)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Same as the OP, here. Tested it with my own settings and with GZDoom's default; same result.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It doesn't work for me with the latest build from the level_refactor branch. Doom's inverse colormap is fine, Heretic's golden one and Hacx's blue one are pitch black.
Azatoth027

Post by Azatoth027 »

Blue Shadow wrote:Same as the OP, here. Tested it with my own settings and with GZDoom's default; same result.
I did the same test. Moved my .ini's somewhere else and launched GZDoom with a brand new config file. Same result.
Rachael wrote:The hardware specs here are way above the minimum requirements for GZDoom, I would not expect issues whatsoever.
I was posting it just in case there was some hardware known to be problematic with the engine.
Rachael wrote:I think a configuration file post might help to pinpoint the issue, to be honest.
I attached mine in this post.
Attachments
gzdoom-Azatoth.zip
(7.79 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Azatoth027 wrote:It seems like using a renderer other than opengl-accelerated makes the screen turn black, leaving no visibility when using that powerup.
Okay - I must confess, somehow I missed this sentence. When I activated the software rendering, as your config file clearly did, my screen turned black, too.
Azatoth027

Post by Azatoth027 »

Also I have noticed that the save thumbnails were corrupted. No matter the context (powerup used or not) they are corrupted like this. I don't know if this is related.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The save thumbnails corruption I get occasionally while playing. It seems to affect the software renderer (I don't know about Softpoly).
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

I am having the same situation on both ends, both the save screen is causing some weird fuzzy glitch when you get to the menu AND that the invincibility spheres make my screen go complete black (apart from the HUD) until it wears off.
I never tried the Inv. Ring in that game yet but I know when in some mods like Brutal Doom and EXP Doom so far cause these sorts of problems for like, no reason what so ever. Try them and and see if you get the same thing. If it is, then we do have some engine bugs. (Also moderators and anyone else, I apologize if a message like this is similar, I thought I logged in when I joined but that was not the case)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The invulnerability effect is fixed. The savegame picture issue is not part of this report
Starman the Blaziken

Since when was it fixed? Just yesterday or something?
And I know, but I am saying that I also have the same problem he has as well, likely saying we are having the same bugs and issues here and so he is not the only person with these problems.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yesterday.
Starman the Blaziken

As new as I am to the forums here to admit, does this mean by the next GZDoom version it will be fixed?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Starman the Blaziken wrote:As new as I am to the forums here to admit, does this mean by the next GZDoom version it will be fixed?
Yes. 99.99999% of the time, releases have all bug fixes that were made at the moment of their release. In fact, bug fixes have been known to temporarily stall releases due to their perceived importance.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”