Master levels of Doom 2

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Bagpuss24

Master levels of Doom 2

Post by Bagpuss24 »

Hi All

I am new to this forum but looking for some technical help please.

Came across some old games and found the orignial WADS CD from 1995. Like this: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

So we have a Raspberry Pi to run both Doom WADS. The problem is getting the Master Levels of Doom 2 off the CD and onto the Pi is WAD files.

Can someone on here please help me so I can replay these?

Thanks
Louise
Korell

Re: Master levels of Doom 2

Post by Korell »

If you mean how to play the various Master Levels WAD files then I'd recommend using this: viewtopic.php?p=407714
It takes the Master Levels WAD files and puts an interface around them so that you can choose which one to play (as they were never originally designed to be played in any kind of sequence, other than the secret level from TEETH.WAD). The PSN version did put them into a sequence for a campaign, though, according to this: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

If you mean actually getting them off the CD, do they not show up on the CD as WAD files to simply be copied over? Digital copies can be found on Steam and GOG.
Bagpuss24

Post by Bagpuss24 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the WAD files on the disc! There is a 'Master' folder but no WADS! When I get chance I will send a screen shot of what I get in the folder.

I don't want to dowload them again as I already have them!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Ah, okay, so it is about getting the WAD files from the CD. I did some digging and found this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/5 ... -in-zdoom/

So basically, the CD has the WAD files stored within a DAT file and you'll have to extract them from it by using the DEICE.EXE program. However, this program is an old DOS program that won't run natively in modern Windows, so you would need to use DOSBox to run it to extract the WAD files. There should be a Linux version of DOSBox that you can use on your Raspberry Pi, too.

Post by Guest »

I have now got the Wad's off the CD :D

I would now like them all in one playable file. How do I do this?

I.E: I want to play them all in a row. And now have to go back in a type the next level.

Any help would be great
Thanks
Korell

Post by Korell »

Personally, I'd have to recommend the Master Levels Menu Interface that I linked previously, as it plays the levels in the way they were intended (i.e. pistol starts, and health and armour reset). When you use this mod it gives you a menu to choose the level to play. When you finish the level it takes you back to the menu to continue your game with the next level that you choose. Additionally, it records the stats for the levels you've played should you want to try to improve your time, but these stats are stored within your save game so you can start afresh with empty stats if you wish to do so.

Other than that, there are various mods that can merge the Master Levels into a single campaign, such as WadSmoosh. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52757

Return to “Technical Issues”