MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Re: MetaDoom v5.2 "Klave" (Artipatch! p101)

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

LOLANONIMUS wrote:Hey hi I wonder if there is combatibility with metedoom or can do combatibility for doom touch not the delta touch but if there is no can not do it?
I'm pretty sure that ZScript can't be done in GZDv1.8.6 and GZDv2.1pre. For Delta Touch, you'll need to run the "dev" build of GZDoom, which is currently v3.6.0_Legacy, IIRC.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

LOLANONIMUS wrote:Hey hi I wonder if there is combatibility with metedoom or can do combatibility for doom touch not the delta touch but if there is no can not do it?
Ain't happening.

EDIT: For actual elaboration - Doom Touch is several years old (and thus, several years out of date) by this point, on account of being superceded by Delta Touch. In addition, I can't claim any support for Android-based ports because I don't have any Android devices and as such can't test on them. Sorry, but them's the brakes.
LOLANONIMUS

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hey tanks very tanks
dbj87jb

Post by dbj87jb »

Downloaded the latest version. This is the best Doom Mod out there!

One issue I've noticed however even with the most recent version of GZDoom, is that it crashes whenever I've got a Hell Hound (or similar Dog) attached & try to use it's melee attack, it has no issues with secondary fire (just throw the enemy & it explodes).
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

dbj87jb wrote:Downloaded the latest version. This is the best Doom Mod out there!

One issue I've noticed however even with the most recent version of GZDoom, is that it crashes whenever I've got a Hell Hound (or similar Dog) attached & try to use it's melee attack, it has no issues with secondary fire (just throw the enemy & it explodes).
What sort of crash? If it's a Very Fatal Error (with a crash log), post a bug in our Bugs forum. If it's a VM abort, what's the exact error?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

wildweasel wrote:
dbj87jb wrote:Downloaded the latest version. This is the best Doom Mod out there!

What sort of crash? If it's a Very Fatal Error (with a crash log), post a bug in our Bugs forum. If it's a VM abort, what's the exact error?
Figured out how to reproduce this.

I'll have a poke and see if it's my fault before i start hassling developers about it.

EDIT: Not my fault (I think), bug report filed. Thanks for the heads-up!
EDIT 2: Issue is marked as fixed, should work fine in the next GZDoom release.
namsan

Post by namsan »

I played new version of your mod, and I can safely say you made the Machinegun much more satisfying to use :D
I love it.
Dxd

Post by Dxd »

Not sure what it is exactly, but enemies that shoot bullets, their projectiles only go straight foward, not up or down, so if an enemy above me were to shoot the bullet would go right over me. Anything you know that can fix it?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Dxd wrote:Not sure what it is exactly, but enemies that shoot bullets, their projectiles only go straight foward, not up or down, so if an enemy above me were to shoot the bullet would go right over me. Anything you know that can fix it?
A_CustomMissile is bugged in 3.7.2. It's fixed in the next engine release.

In the meantime, I've find/replaced most instances of A_CustomMissile to A_SpawnProjectile, which should fix the issue. Give the devbuild of the mod in the OP a spin and see how that goes.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Since some people don't use the RL's alt fire as much, i checked the Doomwiki and discovered that in D4 you could apparently make the remote detonation rocket fire drop shards of the rocket that cause bleed damage on enemies.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Rocket_launch ... Detonation
I can see there being some difficulty with balancing this (their damage, what they cause on enemies, how many shards, their physics etc) and i haven't seen any proper gameplay footage of this nor if it's available on Snapmap.
But for what it's worth, there's some potential to make the alt fire of the rocket launcher a bit more usefull.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

whatup876 wrote:Since some people don't use the RL's alt fire as much, i checked the Doomwiki and discovered that in D4 you could apparently make the remote detonation rocket fire drop shards of the rocket that cause bleed damage on enemies.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Rocket_launch ... Detonation
I can see there being some difficulty with balancing this (their damage, what they cause on enemies, how many shards, their physics etc) and i haven't seen any proper gameplay footage of this nor if it's available on Snapmap.
But for what it's worth, there's some potential to make the alt fire of the rocket launcher a bit more usefull.
Imagines Heretic's phoenix rod with an altfire to make the projectile explode into the tomed dragon claw's spiked ripper balls
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Shards? I mean "shrapnel". I was also thinking more in line with the Scrappers/Shotgun's alt fire from a mod named Dakka, where they kinda come off as tiny particles-like things that are fast but dissapear quickly or something.
But again, i feel like proper footage of the upgraded alt fire from D4 would need to be seen just to be sure.
Miru

Re: MetaDoom v5.1 "Klave" (Artipatch! p98)

Post by Miru »

whatup876 wrote:Come to think of it, MetaDoom's concept sort of expanded on multiple areas: weapons, enemies, items, effects and even on playable characters/Doomguy's designs with the gender based portraits and the mini figures.
One area that it may not have expanded on is levels and mapping, probably because gameplay themed maps as a whole is either hard, rare or never happens.

But at least it's fun to imagine and speculate ideas, be it content being used to represent parts of the series and ideas, the amount of textures, props, areas and things to reference, easter eggs and maybe just original areas that just try to feel like Doom. (sort of like The Way Id Did)

So i guess this could serve as a potential idea list.

* Phobos? you got Knee Deep in the Dead, Doom 64 (at least i believe it took place there) and the new area in Eternal with the BFG10K. (and maybe a bit of the Doom bible)
* Doom 3's dark corridors mixed with D64's techbases and that computer maze from E1M2.
* Some of the props include stuff that make areas feel a bit more "real" like tables, televisions or even bathrooms.
* Despite later games introducing a variety of props and objects to make levels look nice, they still had some walls/floors/ceilings lacking a bit in terms of color, compared to D1/2/Final/64 textures.
* Tei Tenga area with pre-release/cut Doom stuff.
* Some warehouse level taking inspiration from E2M2, some areas from D3/4, NRFTL and maybe that one TNT level with the truck.
* A Plutonia level taking place in a jungle-like area, with something to reference that cancelled D64 level with the Mayan pyramid.
* Flesh, bone and organs were a noticeable aspect of Doom, from some of classic hell levels, to the gore nests in D4, to that one MP map. (Boneyard)
* Hell in general had a variety of material since Doom 1/2, so i guess the material from other versions of hell can help to make it more abstract.
* Hell on Earth could be represented with Doom 2, a little bit of Plutonia, the cancelled Doom 4 and Eternal.
* Something to do with being cold and blue. (D64's In The Void, that ice level in D4)
* D64 meets PS1 Doom and maybe some other ports.
* Master Levels for D2 representation. (Blacktower meets Tower of Babel or Argent tower, Bloodsea Keep meets PS1 Mansion and some of D64's aesthetic, PS1 Final Doom port and MLfD2 both had some exclusive "night" skyboxes)
* Whatever can help to make the RPG/mobile games be represented.
* I think someone once thought of Doom 3's Mars city to mix with Doom 2's second level.
* "non-linear keyhunt inspired by doom 4 foundry with elements of doom e2 and doom1 map09"
* "spiderfest blending doom3 alpha labs and doom2 map26"
* Outdoor areas inspired by D3/4. (no oxygen limit this time)
* Something involving the TNT Pharaoh level and Plutona's Go 2 It.
* Knight Sentinel related areas mixed with D3's ancient Martian temples. (obligatory use of that one doom cover mock up with the soulcube)
* Dead Simple could be mixed with official Doom levels/areas that were technically based on Dead Simple. (it's probably one of the most cloned Doom levels)
* Plutonia map 29 could work for Hell on Earth representation while Plutona map 28 could mix with Doom 2's second level or anything to do with sewers.
* A level about some mapping tricks like Plutonia's invisible bridge, that Plutonia floating cube in map 06 and some weird Doom 64 mapping stuff.
* E2M8 mixed with D64's Watch Your Step while E3M8 could use those flesh pillars from D4's Spiderdemon boss fight.
* Both Doom 3 and 4 had lab areas where demon bodies were put inside those jars. (potential jumpscare easter egg)
* Use of hologram stuff, like either just things with text/signs or those UAC dudes talking about the company and its history.
* Whatever the level for the Baron duo boss fight could be.
* 3DO music being used.
* Whatever can be done with Wolfenstein 3D, pre Wolf id software and PS1's Club Doom.

Another long list of ideas, some of them not even mine.

Sorry, i just felt like thinking about stuff again.

Anyway, hoping Doom Eternal brings back the Icon of Sin.
Good ideas for a level pack! Also, I have a few more ideas, still being a player of MetaDoom myself:

* A crashed UFO level based around the novels with references to the movie.
* Something based on other ID Tech 1 games (perhaps including a sly little swat at Raven Software games and their key fascination?), commercial and possibly otherwise.
* The Wolf 3D level could be based on a stage from Catacombs 3D, and feature the Commander Keens as part of a puzzle or two. Name that level “Attack of the Attackers”, as a nod to the original name of the game. Maybe even make a stage shaped like the iD Software logo itself?
* Maybe a stage based on the later shooters of iD, such as Quake, Prey, and Rage?
* A boss rush arena! Probably a linear corridor between arenas rather than just a single arena area.

I also have more enemy ideas. Namely, I think a grappler enemy could work, with players having to break free from grapples by pressing melee attack (or possibly also other weapons), to avoid damage. The Brier from Doom 2 RPG could work this way, for instance. And I really like the codex function, a good way to take a break from the action and puzzles.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRJMYZUzjA
We finally got Eternal footage after all this time.
It even shows how lives work, which kinda reminds me of the mod Dakka.
It won't fit MetaDoom that much, but i like to imagine it using an icon of Doomguy's face that was present in the arcade mode in D4 when you get a life. (like its pick up design being based off Wolf3d where it's Doomguy's head inside a sphere)
The reason why it won't work is probably because it's just a slightly altered megasphere and i can see it being annoying in toxic floors/lava sections where you can't come back to your progress.
But on the other hand, it could be a solution to death exits, even if it's a bad one and it's cheating.

Also, crazier idea: being a mod about Doom, imagine an option to bring back aspects of OG Doom that are gone in defalt GZDoom.
Such as: wallrunning glitch, props not blocking projectiles and being able to UNF shootable walls without hearing the UNF.
Attachments
ltud1mj.png
ltud1mj.png (55.44 KiB) Viewed 830 times
Miru

Post by Miru »

whatup876 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRJMYZUzjA
We finally got Eternal footage after all this time.
It even shows how lives work, which kinda reminds me of the mod Dakka.
It won't fit MetaDoom that much, but i like to imagine it using an icon of Doomguy's face that was present in the arcade mode in D4 when you get a life. (like its pick up design being based off Wolf3d where it's Doomguy's head inside a sphere)
The reason why it won't work is probably because it's just a slightly altered megasphere and i can see it being annoying in toxic floors/lava sections where you can't come back to your progress.
But on the other hand, it could be a solution to death exits, even if it's a bad one and it's cheating.

Also, crazier idea: being a mod about Doom, imagine an option to bring back aspects of OG Doom that are gone in defalt GZDoom.
Such as: wallrunning glitch, props not blocking projectiles and being able to UNF shootable walls without hearing the UNF.
Wallrunning would be an AWESOME pickup. Imagine this making the player not only go fast, but also literally dash along walls to their enemy, allowing them to open fire at new angles. Similar to the double jump I proposed before, it probably might not be that vanilla, but at the very least, the return of classic wallrunning might be fun.

I also noticed that when I gibbed a Hellhound, a human skull came out (this also happened with the Malwrath). I think maybe you should look into adding in some more specific skulls for gibs. I really like the Cacodenon gibs, though.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”