Option to disable all multiplayer-exclusive items in MP

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Kostov

Option to disable all multiplayer-exclusive items in MP

Post by Kostov »

There is already an option to disable multiplayer-specific weapons in multiplayer:

Code: Select all

sv_noweaponspawn (boolean)
Default: false
If true, weapons that are flagged to appear only in multiplayer are not spawned when playing in cooperative mode.
Making a similar option that applies to other items that spawn around the map—such as ammunition, health pickups, and even barrels (such as in E1M1, where they cover up an armor pickup in the corner of the room)—would be great, because, in my opinion, there are too many of them in MP.

The only way to disable MP-specific items in GZDoom right now is to start a game in singleplayer, create a save, and load that save in multiplayer.
Last edited by Kostov on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Option to disable all multiplayer-exclusive pickups in M

Post by Rachael »

Coop in Doom has never been properly balanced. It doesn't help that both Deathmatch and Coop, despite having very different needs, use the same sets of items (other than keys). That being said, removing all the extra items means that with 3-4 players you run out of items real fast.

I suppose such an option would not be much trouble to add, but I'm not a huge fan of it.
Kostov

Re: Option to disable all multiplayer-exclusive pickups in M

Post by Kostov »

Rachael wrote:removing all the extra items means that with 3-4 players you run out of items real fast.

I suppose such an option would not be much trouble to add, but I'm not a huge fan of it.
That’s why it would be an option. I believe it’d work pretty well in 2-player co-op, which is how I play GZDoom multiplayer most of the time.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Option to disable all multiplayer-exclusive items in MP

Post by Rachael »

For this, I am thinking of creating a CVAR that combines several either tri-state or quad-state options into a single variable.

If I go tri-state it would allow you to customize several groups of objects as follows:
Monsters, Inventory, World Objects (Barrels, etc) - as: Default, Forced Single Player, Forced Multiplayer

For quad-state it would be the same group but it would have the additional option of not spawning anything at all.
Kostov

Re: Option to disable all multiplayer-exclusive items in MP

Post by Kostov »

Rachael wrote:If I go tri-state it would allow you to customize several groups of objects as follows:
Monsters, Inventory, World Objects (Barrels, etc) - as: Default, Forced Single Player, Forced Multiplayer

For quad-state it would be the same group but it would have the additional option of not spawning anything at all.
Quad-state sounds very interesting. You’ve taken my idea and expanded it quite a bit. I’m looking forward to whatever you come up with!

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”