Problems Using md2tool

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ligmatism

Problems Using md2tool

Post by Ligmatism »

I'm trying to convert a .dmd model to an .md2 model using a program called md2tool (the .exe in the Doomsday bin folder) and every time I try to use it the command prompt closes almost immediately. I've tried compatibility modes, dragging-and-dropping the .dmd onto the .exe, and running through DOSBox, and none of these options have worked. I haven't found any alternatives to converting .dmd files to .md2 files thus far. Any help is appreciated.
Cherno

Re: Problems Using md2tool

Post by Cherno »

Just to clarify; if you run the exe inside DOSBox, what happens?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's not a DOS program, but it does need to be run at the command prompt. Otherwise it will indeed just exit immediately.

Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Once you have your parameters set up, you can write a BAT file to batch-process your files easier.
Ligmatism

Post by Ligmatism »

Sorry for the late reply, but how do I set this up? I don't have a lot of experience with the command prompt.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

You start the command prompt (Right click on Start -> execute -> "cmd", then inside the prompt navigate to the program dir. type in the exe name and the comand prompt window should show all parameters. Decide which ones you need to use and then type the exe name again followed by the correct parameter syntax.
Ligmatism

Post by Ligmatism »

Ah, thanks.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Cherno wrote:You start the command prompt (Right click on Start -> execute -> "cmd", then inside the prompt navigate to the program dir. type in the exe name and the comand prompt window should show all parameters. Decide which ones you need to use and then type the exe name again followed by the correct parameter syntax.
You can also hold shift and right click the folder to get an extra option in the dialog box to "open command window here", saving you the extra time of cd'ing to the program directory.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've noticed in the current version of Win 10 that doing that doesn't give me "Open command window here" but "Open PoweShell window here" instead. While I realise that PowerShell is probably more flexible and (ahem) powerful, I am far more familiar with the command window and find it easier to use, so I'd much rather that was still the option.

Usually if I want the command window, I click on the start menu and just type cmd[enter] and that gets me to a window open in my user folder. From there I can easily navigate to where I want to get to.

@Chewcumber Possibly the easiest way to get to a folder, if you are unfamiliar with using the prompt, is to create a folder that is easy to navigate to. Perhaps create a folder in the root directory of your c drive called md2tool and drop the files that you need into it. Then once you have your command window open, type

cd\md2tool [enter]

and you should now be in that directory (folder). From there you will be able to type md2tool [enter] and see the options that it spits out (much like my screen shot).
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I just remembered that you can also right click the windows icon in the lower left portion of the task bar to either run cmd normally or as administrator (windows 8 and higher).

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”