Self/RadiusDamageFactor support for PowerProtection

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Self/RadiusDamageFactor support for PowerProtection

Post by Major Cooke »

Just as the title implies. While it's not difficult to implement on the scripting side, it's a matter of circumstances to restore damagefactors to how they were after the powerup expires. One cannot simply just restore it to the previous setting in the event there are two that modify the properties at once. Since protection stacking is multiplicative, caution must be taken to ensure they are mixed properly.

So this would most likely be best done inside ApplyDamageFactors or something similar.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Self/RadiusDamageFactor support for PowerProtection

Post by Rachael »

How is it that for hundreds of people, the modding features that exist are just fine, or they only need one or two additional features at most per 4 months or so... but every waking moment that you touch the engine you need 2 or 3 per week, at least?

You've engaged yourself into a very annoying habit here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Uh... Is "no" an appropriate answer? I have to agree with Rachael here and besides, I have no idea what I am supposed to add here.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Wouldn't it make far more sense for AbsorbDamage and ModifyDamage to include the inflictor and source, anyway? Then not only would this be more easily handled via scripting, but it'd also allow stuff like reducing a powerup's effectiveness against other players without having to have a player version of every damage type that players have access to.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Arctangent wrote:Wouldn't it make far more sense for AbsorbDamage and ModifyDamage to include the inflictor and source, anyway? Then not only would this be more easily handled via scripting, but it'd also allow stuff like reducing a powerup's effectiveness against other players without having to have a player version of every damage type that players have access to.
I really like this way of thinking, better. It's solving problems from a top-down perspective rather than bottom-up - allowing far more flexible and generic solutions and avoiding this barrage of hacks altogether.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's most definitely better here than creating a significant mess.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Wouldn't that cause mod incompatibilities with left-out parameters? Don't get me wrong, I've been DYING for source and inflictor on powerup things like ModifyDamage but incompatibility is a big concern.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Major Cooke wrote:Wouldn't that cause mod incompatibilities with left-out parameters? Don't get me wrong, I've been DYING for source and inflictor on powerup things like ModifyDamage but incompatibility is a big concern.
That's what the versioning system is there for. This has been done before, too, with the "Die" virtual.

Edit: Or maybe not even that. Seems you don't even need explicit versioned changes if the parameter is optional.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Okay, that makes things MUCH simpler. THAT I can program in myself.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”