Actor StatusBar Property

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Actor StatusBar Property

Post by Major Cooke »

It'd be nice if we could set status bars via actors, so in the event the camera is set upon an actor, it can use that instead.

Right now, the system is inflexible because we have to hard program exceptions in for anything and everything we want to take into account. I'm trying to make a weapon with a controllable bullet, and it's a mod that I'm intending to allow other mod compatibility with.

This is how I envision it working:
  • If the statusbar property is defined, and any player camera is found viewing through it, it will display its own status bar instead of the player's.
  • Otherwise, it just uses the player's own.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Actor StatusBar Property

Post by Graf Zahl »

The system is inflexible because so much depends on it. Besides, whether the engine exchanges the entire status bar or you implement one status bar class with several drawers for the different cases makes very little difference.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I can see the proposed feature working well for mods that are designed to be compatible with other mods - having a single status bar for that would require whichever mod "wins" to be prepared to handle all the other mods being loaded.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you want it, find someone to code it. If I have to do it I can outright tell you that it won't happen.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Try using ACS and HudMessage to display the bullet-related stuff.

At least that's how i made my CTF system's universal score counters, so it could help
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

ACS HUDs are a mess - there's no exception.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Agreed, I avoid ACS like the plague unless it's specifically for map control because it's easier there.

Furthermore, if you modify anything ACS related, you invalidate your saved games.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Is there a tutorial on how to get an actor in the playsim to do screen draw stuff with a specific player (basically doing hud without actually going through the statusbar class)?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

There's RenderOverlay in an event handler but that doesn't have a lot of the handy functions StatusBar has. I would imagine you could copy over the exported ones for event handlers, provided there's no catches. I wouldn't be surprised though if Graf slaps me with a wet trout for suggesting that. :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

I mean more like calling the Screen.Draw* stuff... I remember a thread elsewhere about an interactive object triggering a menu but sadly I had too little idea what I was doing to pay any attention to that
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Major Cooke wrote:There's RenderOverlay in an event handler but that doesn't have a lot of the handy functions StatusBar has. I would imagine you could copy over the exported ones for event handlers, provided there's no catches. I wouldn't be surprised though if Graf slaps me with a wet trout for suggesting that. :P
Consider yourself slapped. :mrgreen:

The event handling is giving me nothing but headaches because it doesn't do any separation between system and level based events. I think if I am ever going to redesign the engine I'll just throw it out and put something less invasive in its place, but that'd not be compatible anymore.

Don't ever expect me to add more features on top of it.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”