Need help with oblige

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
SHayden

Need help with oblige

Post by SHayden »

So I recently discovered oblige(kinda late to the party I know :P) and the only problem I have with it is when I want to create one/few map(s) or just one episode it has to be run with the IWAD of the game I've chosen and it replaces always the first map(s) or episodes, so my question is how do I make them run as...you know....separate map packs from the IWAD? :roll:
gramps

Re: Need help with oblige

Post by gramps »

Oh man, if it's not in those docs, who knows... can't you generate episode 1 and bulk-rename the maps or something?

Have not played with that thing in years. Gzdoom is pretty close to the point where we could do that kind of thing when the wad loads...
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Looks like I'll have to tinker with it a little bit huh? I thought renaming the maps would help but I'd surely need to do more than that it can't be that easy...
gramps

Post by gramps »

What are you trying to do? I thought you wanted to generate a single episode that isn't episode one, but I just read your post again and I'm confused now.

You need to run them with the iwad, because it has all the graphics and sounds and stuff in it. You can pick that full game setting if you want it to replace all the maps.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

No I mean I want to erase all the episodes/maps from the original IWADs and at the episodes list only have the ones from oblige that's what I want :P
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Generate a "full game" with Oblige. That should replace all four episodes if you set the gametype to "ultimate doom". I'm pretty sure you can't "erase" extra episodes from the IWAD without writing your own custom [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki]. Not sure why you'd need to, just for playing some random maps though...

Also shoutout to our unoffical Oblige discord server, here: https://discord.gg/AFws8ty . Some folks are doing a lot of cool stuff with new prefabs and shape rules.

8-)
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Thanks a lot for advice Caligari87 :)
as for oblige I found it very cool for making old school doom maps for nostalgic vanilla gameplay, I can play those for hours..
If I had creativity and knowledge I would probably create my own maps so this is my only way to quickly get some maps for ripping 'n' tearing :lol:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Maybe I got this wrong.
Do you want the Oblige maps to be in a stand alone IWAD,
in other words, not use the DOOM or DOOM2 IWAD at all?
Then have a look at the IWADINFO page.

Personally, for ease of use, I just use a batch file located in the generated maps folder, play.bat
for example:
Path\gzdoom-x64-g3.8pre-83\gzdoom.exe -iwad DOOM2 -file %1 nchud-main.pk3
and drag the map onto the batch file name.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

No no no, I may have expressed myself incorrectly....I do want to run them with the doom/doom2 IWAD but I want them to be separate map packs in-game
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sooo... you want there to be a "Which episode" menu like in Doom but it only lists the Oblige map packs as episodes?
gramps

Post by gramps »

Yeah, I still have no idea what's going on here, honestly. Interesting to hear that people still use oblige, though!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

SHayden wrote:No no no, I may have expressed myself incorrectly....I do want to run them with the doom/doom2 IWAD but I want them to be separate map packs in-game
I'm kind of wondering what is meant by map packs.
For example, a full set of DOOM2 maps for OBLIGE are still 32 maps, which is one map pack.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I think he wants the episode list to say for example:

Knee deep in the dead
The shores of hell
Inferno
Thy flesh consumed
Oblige episode

As for an easy way to accomplish this, I'm not sure. Probably would have to be done manually. Seems like more effort than it's worth though, especially if you're just going to play the maps once and then move on
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Trusty McLegit wrote:Seems like more effort than it's worth though, especially if you're just going to play the maps once and then move on
Yes and not really.....While I admit the effort may not be worth it, I still don't know how I would do something like that in general in case one day I set up on a mission to make my own map packs or something :P
I don't know anything about decorate or doom mod/map making and I really want to learn things...seeing how people make awesome mods, I don't have big ambitions but still I want to make things that nobody else seems to be making and might have to do them myself....that is why I sometimes ask questions like these, I'll learn more from direct approach than theory-crafting or wiki(I read the wiki like million times already and still don't understand most of the things it's trying to explain, I learned all I know by tinkering with the code via trial and error :P )

Return to “General”