The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: The Guncaster - 3.2

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

PillowBlaster wrote: I didn't want to make Keks add a specific variation for just one Strat case. As much as given the confusion here, guess I'll have to ask him to do so.
Yeah it's not a big deal, I totally can live with it. It was my fault to not read the hidden note somewhere in the game.
PillowBlaster wrote:I went for smaller blasts, given they lag less. Each time I used empowered blasts, the game became uncomfortably slow, but I didn't want to cut down on already gutted effects; guess I'll see about it.
I myself have a potatoe PC and I get used to the lag, even in doom mods. And since your mods now can be played on 50$ chinaphones, lag is something that doesn't bother me at all and barely even notice it. Not that I care about lag much when the mod is good. However ironically, the prism lazer was always for me the most lag inductor regardless of platform I'm playing it, and my fps usually goes to like 3 even when I shoot at close range. For some reason it doesn't lag when it's just charging stage of spining around and my fps staying fine, as long I don't cross the beams. :V The apocalypse spell, even with spreadrune and ancient amplifier works like clock with no lag at all, however.

Besides, who needs a good FPS when everything around you is dead anyway? :lol:
PillowBlaster wrote:Otherwise, Chillgrasp does have empowered effect, it chains the blasts - I just didn't add much more to it.
which is why it feels very lacking. The reason I said that Chillgrasp needs new attack the most is because you're using both hands yet still magnet only one target. I'm not sure if my idea of magnetic everything and everyone around toward yourself while damaging them, and spin them like in carnival of death is possible, but it sure would be epic and most fitting for deadmask's Chillgrasp attack.
PillowBlaster wrote:As of the rest of spells - adding even bigger blasts to some of them is a bad idea; Annihilation at times makes me drop down to five frames per second, and if I'd add even more projectiles to it... yeah, I'd rather not. Unless I'll upgrade my gear, then I might go ham again. I use my own PC as my benchmark for obvious reasons.
Corpseblast and Annihilation are one of the least lag inducing spells for me. Well, except the rare times when there are 100 dead bodies in a single square meter, which is rare anyway. But hey, thanks for considering it! I really appreciate that you actually read my ideas and think of them. Shows that you actually care about community. :D
PillowBlaster wrote:I didn't bother much with environmental stuff lately, hence why Thunderstruck misses it; I'll admit this idea is a bit of a dud as it doesn't work out in custom environments too well. I am not the kind of person to remove features, so I kept it as-is. But trying to cooperate with it tires me these days.
The depth of your mod, all of the small details that most casuals barely even notice, is actually the best thing about your mod and why it's so awesome and alive. The affliction system, the environmental amplifier, the fact that single spell or attack has multiple hidden damaging sources (i.e. like pulverizer's ball's bullets shooting everywhere when you hold it, or skullfire's tiny damage that hurt enemies when it flies past them, with a small chance to light them on fire), the multiple unnecessary features just to add even more ways to kill enemies, some of which that even have animation for it, like ctrl + kick and all other features .

And as much it makes me to go out of my way and instead of "nightmare" difficulty I have to select at least ultra-violence, just to still have the affliction system, I love all of these little features and I hope they get even attention. Plz no cut out. ; ;
PillowBlaster wrote:Also, pet-peeve time: Using a plethora of colored fonts or text highlights is.. not helping on my reading; quite the contrary, even. I am not saying you should change your ways, but this grinds my gears.
The main reason why I use colored fonts on specifics spells or other words is so the TL;DR people would see a highlighted word there and would understand what this paragraph is all about. But... Fine, I'll try at least use more bright one next time.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I noticed you gave the player a mass boost when in suit or hulk mode, that's nice. With that said there's something that bugs me. The recoil that launches you back when you shoot isn't affected at all by this mass change. I would love it if it did. I'm not the biggest fan of recoil in general (I play with it set to 0.0) so when the auger sends my giant hulk ass backwards it irks me.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:I noticed you gave the player a mass boost when in suit or hulk mode, that's nice. With that said there's something that bugs me. The recoil that launches you back when you shoot isn't affected at all by this mass change. I would love it if it did. I'm not the biggest fan of recoil in general (I play with it set to 0.0) so when the auger sends my giant hulk ass backwards it irks me.
I actually only added that cause I wanted to prevent friendly fire knockback from explosions, locking out friendly fire damage in multi made no difference for A_Explode. I could probably add yet another cvar for that, though. (As much as I should be careful with that stuff by now, I feel. Cvar overload is no good for GetCvar, so far I got informed. Guess we'll see next update.)

Also, it's Augur~

EDIT: Lol added new cvar, whateva~
Wendigo
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Wendigo »

i get this
R_OPENGL: OpenGL driver not accelerated!
load order: guncaster 3.2, gc_addon
and if i flip it, i get this
Execution could not continue.

41 errors, 1 warnings while compiling GC_Addon.pk3:zscript.txt
im using gzdoom g3.7.2. what should i do?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Wendigo wrote:i get this
It probably means exactly what it says - depending on your system specs, it might be this problem which is not specific to Guncaster at all.
Wendigo
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Wendigo »

wildweasel wrote:
Wendigo wrote:i get this
It probably means exactly what it says - depending on your system specs, it might be this problem which is not specific to Guncaster at all.
ah, i see. weird because ive never had this problem before actually. thanks
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Make sure the draugh pet is NOT spawned, if he is, dismiss him.

Hold the button you use to open doors, while still holding that button press the button you use to activate items.
Turns out it was my GZDoom causing it not to work, I was running some dev build of 3.6 ish.

I updated it to 3.7.0 and some other stuff actually broke:

1. Using the Bassalissa Mask and gaining HP powerups and then taking it off allows you to retain all of that excess HP, intentional? I was running around in the powersuit and I had around 800 HP.

2. The ammo counter for Old Dreadful went wonky, Not sure what caused it but I had more ammo for it than the max I can hold.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/snfnefs09rykt ... 0.png?dl=0
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

i'm honestly suprised that the base fire-breath was not upgraded to be the constant fire-breath that the mask transformation uses. even if it was much weaker to not make it too powerfull compared to other spells like skullflame (or comet's as i like to call them).

Specialy since that mask.... is kinda OP >->. i can see why it was put in the add-on alongside the overlaping weaponry.

Besides that everything works fine on the latest stable. no bugs,no weird things, just casual blasting.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Personally enjoy that addition/alternative DeadMaker Mask, to grow into a super powered, hulking Dragon muscle tank that can bring even Baron's to their knee's in a few blows, mmm, love it, can you imagine brutalities? Can't get much more visceral then that.

You think Cygnis would be big enough to give Nithor that sizeable hug with the mask on? If not I could give him one. :3
Last edited by Rtma on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

I saw on an old post a few years back about the minigame "Gunsnake" built in, I was wondering how you access it? The post mentioned a console command but typing it doesn't seem to work!
Dinosaur_Nerd
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:And as much it makes me to go out of my way and instead of "nightmare" difficulty I have to select at least ultra-violence, just to still have the affliction system,
If you want nightmare difficulty while keeping the affliction system you can edit the zmapinfo.txt file in the pk3 and just comment out the NoPain part like this
Spoiler:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Besides, who needs a good FPS when everything around you is dead anyway? lol
I need good FPS all the time in order to enjoy the spectacular goresplosions thank you very much...

There are not enough kisses in the world to express how happy I am that such care and attention went into optimizing all this so it doesn't end up like a slide show.

Guncaster crew, you guys rock!
Rtma wrote:can you imagine brutalities?
do not want
Spoiler:
Rtma wrote:You think Cygnis would be big enough to give Nithor that sizeable hug with the mask on? If not I could give him one. :3
All mortals shall hug Nithor!
baddude1337 wrote:I saw on an old post a few years back about the minigame "Gunsnake" built in, I was wondering how you access it? The post mentioned a console command but typing it doesn't seem to work!
Gunsnake was a game written in ACS, and seems to have been removed from the loaded ACS list in 3.0.
It might still be possible to add it back into the game by compiling the ACS source found in

Code: Select all

source/no_couches_here_only_acid/Gunsnake.acs
all the CVars still seem to be in place, so in theory it should work if compiled and added back to the LOADACS.txt file.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:
I need good FPS all the time in order to enjoy the spectacular goresplosions thank you very much...

There are not enough kisses in the world to express how happy I am that such care and attention went into optimizing all this so it doesn't end up like a slide show.

Guncaster crew, you guys rock!
Can express appreciation for said optimisation as well, can play on certain maps again that was otherwise unplayable back in the 2.8a era.
Rtma wrote:can you imagine brutalities?
Dinosaur_Nerd wrote: do not want
Heh, not asking for it, not expecting to, sharing out aloud the possible immersion involved, in correlation to the subject, have you guys considered applying your custom colours to the first person graphics, like having pink scaly skin in Third person would also apply in First or would that be too much effort?
Spoiler:
You got me curious. o.-.o
Rtma wrote:You think Cygnis would be big enough to give Nithor that sizeable hug with the mask on? If not I could give him one. :3
Dinosaur_Nerd wrote: All mortals shall hug Nithor!
Hehe, all form giant appendages to initiate Project Backbreaker. :3
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Besides, who needs a good FPS when everything around you is dead anyway? lol
meh...

I'm pretty sure apocalypse spell doesn't have any "goresplosions" and erase any corpse for all the dirty disgusting bodies to begin with, so no chance of witnessing any gore when using this spell, which is why I like it. This is one of the least laggy spell for me, even under ancient amplifier effect; I have no idea how PillowBlaster even having lag with it. I'm not sure if it's related to the video card brand, though.

Besides, the most lag inducing thing for me, which cause more lag than Prism Laser, is still the old dreadful charged blast. But this blast is so insanely brokenly overpowerful, it erases the whole of map entirely, so who cares if your fps stuck at 5 for a couple of seconds?

Aren't people enjoy PillowBlaster's mods simply because they are so insanely gamebreakingly overpowered to begin with?? I don't want to save a few of framerates in exchange of everything getting nerfed in to oblivion, or simply turned to be blunt, empty and boring.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:Gunsnake was a game written in ACS, and seems to have been removed from the loaded ACS list in 3.0.
It might still be possible to add it back into the game by compiling the ACS source found in

Code: Select all

source/no_couches_here_only_acid/Gunsnake.acs
all the CVars still seem to be in place, so in theory it should work if compiled and added back to the LOADACS.txt file.
Aye. It's a little something I did for fun. I tend to leave development scraps like this in for people to learn from.

This one is from before I rewrote the shop the first time. We thought, once the shop was out of the way, we'd throw this in with a secret item. As noted on the highscores screen, you were supposed to be rewarded with artefact prizes. In the end, we didn't pursue the idea further, cuz it's more fun to just play the mod and find secret items that way. That, and we just had better things to accomplish (adding Nithor, Draugh, Augur, ...).

Today, we have more possibilities, so maybe the idea can be revisited in a way it helps the player use what the mod already has to offer.

@MRWL: We improve performance with every update. The Prism Lazer and Dreadful Nuke in particular hardly lag at all anymore, so take a look. Pillow will probably never nerf anything here.
phantombeta
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@KeksDose
Since it doesn't seem to have been explained yet, could you explain why you folks would rather use single-precision floating-point over double-precision?
IMO it's kinda bad practice to do that in ZScript, since you'll be introducing tons of floating-point round-off error whenever you store them in the member variables.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”