From old NVIDIA to new AMD GPU - Worse Performance?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Batandy

From old NVIDIA to new AMD GPU - Worse Performance?

Post by Batandy »

These days i've made a small upgrade to my hardware in order to play the latest titles, i've replaced a NVIDIA GTX 760 with an AMD RX 580, it's quite a big jump, yet, performance on Gzdoom seems to be worse?
I knew that NVIDIA drivers ran better OpenGL but i didn't expect a 6 years old GPU to outperform a brand new gpu which can run most modern games at 1080p ultra just fine.
One thing to note is that the rest of the system is still the same, i'm planning to build myself a brand new pc in the near future.

Gigabyte 990xa-ud3, Amd FX 8320, 16 gigs of ddr3 ram dual channel, Windows 10 pro

I noticed by playing some of my mods, for example in the sewer area of The Crimson Deed, there's a noticeable 20 fps difference between my new card and the old one. Some Golden Souls 2 maps run worse too. I'm running the exact same settings from my old pc, replicated with a new config just to be sure.

Is there anything i can do to boost my performance or is my best bet to wait for the possible VULKAN integration in the sourceport?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: From old NVIDIA to new AMD GPU - Worse Performance?

Post by drfrag »

I mentioned earlier that according to my own estimations you get half the performance on amd with equivalent hardware. Seeing user benchmarks i see that amd is roughly twice as fast so you'd get the same performance in GZDoom. But there are many more games out there than Doom.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 2159vs3923
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The main problem with AMD is that draw call submission is synchronous with the main thread. On NVidia the main thread only queues the parameters and returns immediately, leaving the actual work to a background thread. In this time the engine can prepare the next draw call, and this is precisely what you lose with AMD. It has been a problem for a long time, even back in 2007 my Geforce 8600 offered better performance than AMD's top model of the same vintage.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately, I am not surprised.

AMD's actual hardware sometimes tends to be faster than NVidia's (at least, according to people who've told me and know more than me about it), but their OpenGL implementation is such a pile of shit that you wouldn't ever see it. It's been this way since even before multi-core processors, as Graf is alluding to - I've been using both brands for a very long time.

Worse - AMD tends to deprecate their hardware more quickly than NVidia does. NVidia will still support chipsets for about 8 years after they're released, sometimes more, but AMD abandons them completely about 5 years after.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote: It's been this way since even before multi-core processors, as Graf is alluding to
That 2007 system WAS multi-core. The interesting thing is that the first driver I had for that card was a lot slower, it was after 6 months that I got an incredible performance boost by a driver update. I never measured what caused it but it sounds reasonable that this was when they first deployed a multithreaded driver.

For whatever reason, neither AMD nor Intel ever went that route with their driver - and now look who dominates the market today...
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Rachael wrote:Unfortunately, I am not surprised.

AMD's actual hardware sometimes tends to be faster than NVidia's (at least, according to people who've told me and know more than me about it), but their OpenGL implementation is such a pile of shit that you wouldn't ever see it. It's been this way since even before multi-core processors, as Graf is alluding to - I've been using both brands for a very long time.

Worse - AMD tends to deprecate their hardware more quickly than NVidia does. NVidia will still support chipsets for about 8 years after they're released, sometimes more, but AMD abandons them completely about 5 years after.
Graf Zahl wrote:
Rachael wrote: It's been this way since even before multi-core processors, as Graf is alluding to
That 2007 system WAS multi-core. The interesting thing is that the first driver I had for that card was a lot slower, it was after 6 months that I got an incredible performance boost by a driver update. I never measured what caused it but it sounds reasonable that this was when they first deployed a multithreaded driver.

For whatever reason, neither AMD nor Intel ever went that route with their driver - and now look who dominates the market today...
Understood, yeah I was expecting this. Well, if anything, if you want someone to test your updates on an AMD, I'll be glad to help, especially if you're going to eventually work on Vulkan support (My previous card didn't run Vulkan that well compared to this card, and now I can see why people love it, it's such an incredible step up from OpenGL that even talking about the possibility of having that in Gzdoom makes me excited).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's not that easy, unfortunately. Without some extensive changes to the renderer, Vulkan won't matter much. It got its bottlenecks squarely in places where Vulkan does not help.

Return to “General”