I want both a MIDI and CD OST for my current project...help?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
jzag96

I want both a MIDI and CD OST for my current project...help?

Post by jzag96 »

I'm working on a project in which I'd like to include both a MIDI file and a CD quality (wav or whatever filetype) soundtrack in which the player would be able to switch between either at any point in the menu (kind of like how you can change your midi device at any moment)

Is this possible? If so, how could I go around doing it? I'm writing the songs so there won't be any issue getting any specific file types or anything like that. :D

Also, i'm new to scripting so I would appreciate if you could be as thorough about the process as possible. I've been using SLADE to do my work, so if it's possible in that program I'd like a tutorial using it. :)

Thank you very much! Hope to hear back soon
InsanityBringer

Re: I want both a MIDI and CD OST for my current project...h

Post by InsanityBringer »

An ACS script that uses the [wiki]SetMusic[/wiki] command can do this, with your MIDI and recorded music using different names, and perhaps you can have a CVAR defined by [wiki]CVARINFO[/wiki] and placed in the menu to tell the script what to use.

The alternative option is to put your high quality recorded music in another archive, so if someone only wants to play with MIDI music, they don't have to even bother downloading the bulky recorded music. Those who do want it can download it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

InsanityBringer wrote:The alternative option is to put your high quality recorded music in another archive, so if someone only wants to play with MIDI music, they don't have to even bother downloading the bulky recorded music. Those who do want it can download it.
That would certainly be the usual method: a download for the mod and a second hi-quality music pack download.

Being able to switch between music types on the fly is a cool idea and all but, let's be honest, how often are people going to want to go from one to the other during a game?
jzag96

Post by jzag96 »

I'll try those ideas! thank you very much!

And Enjay you're totally right, I'm partially doing it because of how much more often I feel motivated I to work on the music than to do anything else haha :p

Thank you both!!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

If people really love your music - you should provide a lossless format such as FLAC, or AAC/M4A as a separate 7z or zip package. I do however agree that the project should have MIDI as the default choice. I typically play with music off -- and if I want music, I'd want my synth of choice to handle that. Rarely do I go with the high quality path.
Last edited by Hellser on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

a lossless music pack for your mod seems a little overkill to me when OGG or OPUS would do the job fine enough, since it'll just bloat up the file size for no real gain (in fact, i recall having playback issues with lossless files that didn't occur when using lossy formats.) lossless quality is good for when you want to listen to the music, but not so much for implementing into a mod.

making the streamed audio pack a separate download is probably the best option, since some people still have problems with bandwidth.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I meant for the lossless to be a separate downloaded 7z/zip for those who are interested in keeping it in their music collection. Should've been more clear on that. :oops:

Return to “General”