No 4k option on res select, only 1440p

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

invictius

No 4k option on res select, only 1440p

Post by invictius »

Nor can I use custom resolution to get it. I don't think it's due to my desktop being at 1080p before opening, as the 1440p option is there. (Trying not to use 4k desktop before launching as it causes multiple issues with my windows 7 install)
Enjay

Re: No 4k option on res select, only 1440p

Post by Enjay »

Invictus, you've been here long enough to know that a bug report should contain more detail than this. In this case, hardware specs and GZDoom version could certainly be relevant.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I guess he meant that there is no 4K preset in the predefined list.
It's still possible to specify such resolution manually, or (in case you actually have 4K display) to don't touch anything and have the native resolution by default.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If that's the case, it's very easy to fix as all custom resolution presets are menu entries.

I ask a favor though - please be very conservative about any entries you add, as they will appear for everyone no matter what their hardware supports, and getting it too cluttered will cause problems with ... well, it being too cluttered - which is a major problem that exists in the other menus.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Enjay wrote:Invictus, you've been here long enough to know that a bug report should contain more detail than this. In this case, hardware specs and GZDoom version could certainly be relevant.
Oh, I thought i mentioned I was running latest/3.7.1. _mental) is right. And I'm guessing I need a github account to change what Rachael mentioned. I tried editing menudef in gzdoom.wad but it didn't make any difference.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, you don't have to. Added
invictius

Post by invictius »

Rachael wrote:No, you don't have to. Added
So I just wait for this to be compiled in the next version?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Rachael wrote:Yeah.
Thanks, I'm guessing not a lot of devs have 4k displays (One of the first things I did after getting one was to run gz with models etc)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can't speak for all devs, but my prediction is that most of us actually don't even use the preset menu.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why should I use that menu? In my opinion it is totally useless, unless you want to record a video at a very specific size. It was merely added due to community pressure, not because it serves a genuine purpose.

I either run the game fullscreen or if windowed drag the window at the edges to get a size I can work with. If I need some scaling I use the scale sliders but not the presets.

It also gives a wrong impression at what it does - no, it won't give you real UHD if you run your desktop at 1920x1080. GZDoom never changes the screen resolution, when all is done it downscales the scene to your actual display in desktop resolution.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:It also gives a wrong impression at what it does - no, it won't give you real UHD if you run your desktop at 1920x1080. GZDoom never changes the screen resolution, when all is done it downscales the scene to your actual display in desktop resolution.
I didn't think of that.

For that reason, I did this commit.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”