Peter's Sexy HUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Peter's Sexy HUD

Post by NightFright »

I wasn't aware of a new GZDoom release. Normally it shouldn't mess with sbarinfo stuff like this. I cannot see anything significant in the changelog that would explain a change of code behavior. I noticed that the texture system got a revamp in 3.7.0, though. Since the split statusbar completely relies on a textures lump, it would probably break if significant changes to declarations etc were applied. However I find that hard to believe since developers usually try hard to maintain compatibility to older mods with deprecated code.

In your screenshot you can clearly see that the bar is cut in completely different places and assets like the mugshot background (black square) are placed incorrectly. This indicates that positions defined in textures lump are not properly interpreted. I assume the normal (non-split) version works properly?

I cannot test this by myself before next week, but I am strongly tending towards this being a problem with GZDoom. If stuff doesn't work any more the way it did before, that's usually the case.

Unless you are loading other mods affecting the statusbar, of course. Be sure to check your launcher settings (if you are using any) and autoload sections in your gzdoom.ini file.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Seems like he has your wide Doom HUD in autoload.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well, in that case: Please remove the widescreen mod from autoload. It's either one way or the other, but you cannot use both at the same time.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Awww, yeah, thanks! I could have known it myself, completely forgot of that autoload stuff (that was not in autoload folder tbh).
The reason of that problem was not your hud but this mod:
viewtopic.php?t=37623
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Please never mix widescreen graphics with this mod. It's based on the original graphics and will obviously cause problems otherwise.
foashes

Post by foashes »

Is there any way to get the border (the green thing?) of the HUD back? I came across this because I wanted a HUD that looked like vanilla but showed level stats. Is there anything I can edit in the pk3 to get the green border to the sides of the hud back?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

That's not exactly the purpose of this project, but OK. Load the file attached below after the actual status bar mod and see what it does for you. Don't forget to leave fullscreen mode, this is a mod for the normal version of the HUD. And you shouldn't have transparency activated for this, either.

Oh, btw: This status bar IS 100% vanilla (provided you do not activate transparency or Boom colors). The green border tiles weren't exactly there in the first place in original Doom since widescreen did not exist back then. GZDoom adds these to cover the gaps since nothing is drawn underneath them in non-fullscreen mode.
Attachments
sbarinfo.pk3
(10.36 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
foashes

Post by foashes »

Thanks! I wasn't expecting such a quick reply, plus a file!
supra107

Post by supra107 »

I feel like there should be some kind of widescreen status bar support implemented, because some PWADs, like Pirate Doom for example, use a widescreen status bar by default, with no option for a regular status bar which would be compatible with this HUD.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/D5Sj1Ye[/imgur]
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Implementing widescreen status bar support for this will be kinda difficult since these graphics may have different sizes, which means cutting the graphics at different spots would be required. IMHO authors should not include widescreen graphics directly with the mod, but as external/optional files.

I guess there could be some width detection of STBAR images, and in case they are larger than 320px some calculation needs to be done to internally cut them down to regular size. Something like:

Code: Select all

If STBAR width > 320
{
ActualWidth - 320 = AddedWidth   // calculate added pixels in total
AddedWidth / 2 = AddedWidthLR   // calculate pixels to cut on each side
ActualWidth - AddedWidthLR (left) = NewActualWidth  // cut added pixels on left side
NewActualWidth - AddedWidthLR (right) = ProperWidth  // cut added pixels on right side
}
(Alternatively, you could determine the center of your widescreen STBAR image and cut off everything that goes beyond 160 px to the left and right of the center.)
If this is possible to do with code, I would definitely need help with it since I have no idea how to pull it off. It would be a nice addition indeed. Right now this mod really only works if STBAR dimensions remain unchanged (for Doom: 320x32).

Anyway, I have created a patch for Pirate Doom which you should load AFTER the mod and the pwad (since that one also comes with its own SBARINFO which would override mine). This patch should also work for any other pwad that uses STBAR replacements with a width of exactly 486px, e.g. "Rise of the Wool Ball".
guitardz
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by guitardz »

NightFright wrote: (Also, maybe it's a good idea not to show the level stats in the upper left since it may collide with the pickup messages. Suggestion: Relocate the text to the lower left, just on top of the statusbar.)
Is there an edit somewhere with this functionality?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

That's why I decided to place the stats in the upper right corner where they are not obstructing anything (and in Heretic and Hexen it's just about the powerup icons that are in the way). I never considered placing the stats at the bottom, actually.
mgtroyas

Post by mgtroyas »

Hi, really like this HUD, but I've noticed it's not Brutal Doom compatible. Ammo count always shows as zero. Any chance of having compatibility.
guitardz
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by guitardz »

NightFright wrote:That's why I decided to place the stats in the upper right corner where they are not obstructing anything (and in Heretic and Hexen it's just about the powerup icons that are in the way). I never considered placing the stats at the bottom, actually.
Yes, this works well. I made that comment before realizing you had been making additions to it. I love the split stbar feature. I also grabbed all the stbar fixes from the link you sent me, do you know if there are many more wad stbars that might need fixes like those?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

@mgtroyaz
I can take a look at Brutal Doom compatibility, even though I think the mod offers a better HUD which suits its needs.

@guitardz
There are many pwads out there and I cannot test them all. If I didn't cover a mod which doesn't work 100% with this, just mention it here and I'll look into it.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”