[HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run (solved)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: [HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run

Post by drfrag »

It's an access denied error. Have you tried restarting the system and using the offline installer i linked earlier?
Vader

Post by Vader »

No not yet, I'm going to try that now!
Vader

Post by Vader »

Ok I ran the app and it let me extract a bunch of .cab files... now where do I put them? Or do I have to unpack each of them into the Windows/System32 directory?
Sorry I'm really not good at this :P
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Just run DXSETUP.exe obviously.
Vader

Post by Vader »

D'oh, stupid me... didn't realise there's an exe in there too :roll:
Anyway still no luck, same error as before :(
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But were did you extract the files? Could be a problem with permissions or your antivirus (most likely).
Create a c:\temp folder, copy and extract the stuff there. And disable your antivirus real time protection if it's not windows defender or just uninstall it. Are you by any chance running that mcafee trial crap?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Vader wrote: and as my account name is "Björn", I'm wondering if the "Ö" is causing problems... probably a bit far fetched, but what do I know :roll:

#You never know. Some software out there is written badly enough that it chokes on such things.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Definitely, as evidenced by that recent bug in Apple iPhones where it was possible to crash the system through a bug related to Arabic handling (in fairness though their writing system is very messy to deal with). The most amazing case of internationalization causing a bug is mentioned in this particular Git commit. Warning: VERY excessive rage and use of profanity, but righteously. The best bit is close to the end referencing a different bug.
wm4 wrote:This is still less bad than that time when
libquivi fucked up OpenGL rendering, because calling a libquvi function
would load some proxy abstraction library, which in turn loaded a KDE
plugin (even if KDE was not used), which in turn called setlocale()
because Qt does this, and consequently made the mpv GLSL shader
generation code emit "," instead of "." for numbers, and of course only
for users who had that KDE plugin installed, and lived in a part of the
world where "." is not used as decimal separator.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Heh, that was quite a rant, but entirely justified. And of course on Linux with its insane "let's link dynamically to everything" attitude the problems get amplified even more if a badly behaved piece of software entered the picture. And it's one of the main reasons why I stick to linking to the CRT statically for all Windows software I write, even though modern build systems (cough... CMake... cough...) seem to be hell bent on forcing the DLL version into every software they touch. It it's static there is no risk of some shitty library messing things up. Setlocale is one of the most idiotic things ever invented as a standard, every single time I came in touch with it it was the cause of major problems because you can bet that 99% of all code cannot deal with it.

Of course, the real solution to what he ranted about is to dump the broken library and replace it with something working, not to create more mess.
Vader

Post by Vader »

drfrag wrote:But were did you extract the files? Could be a problem with permissions or your antivirus (most likely).
Create a c:\temp folder, copy and extract the stuff there. And disable your antivirus real time protection if it's not windows defender or just uninstall it. Are you by any chance running that mcafee trial crap?
No I don't have mcafee. I don't have other antivirus software installed either (when I bought the machine online, it said it would come with Kaspersky 2018 antivirus, but I double-checked and it's not on my system... probably should contact them about that, but that's a different matter) and also temporarily turning off windows defender real time protection didn't help.
I'm about to lose all hope I 'll ever get this to work :cry:
Vader

Post by Vader »

I'm sure the answer is "no" and it's not the way it is meant to work, but can't I just extract the .cab files from the DirectX offline installer manually (one by one if necessary) into whatever directory they belong?
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

To the OP: Did you tinker with the folder permissions inside the Windows folder (the folder you will find in the drive where you installed Windows) or any of its subfolders? Bad folder permissions can break programs.
Vader

Re: [HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run (solved)

Post by Vader »

Hooray, I finally got it to work :D

As it seems I just had to run the dxwebsetup client in compatibility mode "Windows XP Service pack 2", that apparently solved the Problem.
Thanks for the support guys!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: [HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run (solved)

Post by drfrag »

Cool, for me it worked right out of the box. I guess your win 10 version is newer than mine and it's even more broken.

Return to “Off-Topic”