Fbx,obj,3ds, basically any normal formats

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Fbx,obj,3ds, basically any normal formats

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Ironically, yesterday somebody was complaining on Github about including the Unreal model submission!
Seriously, people! It's great that some people are willing to add support for other formats. Even if it may not be that wildly used, if it just gives people the option to use such files if they have them is a plus.
What in the goddamn hell? I had to actually look for it, but sure enough, there it was. In the interest of not tossing more kindling on the fire, I did not respond to that directly on that Github thread, but I don't think I have to say how nice I would NOT have been to that guy. I am VERY disappointed in him, who until now I once considered to be very reasonable.

The point to include UE1 model support is "because we want to." It's the same reason we mod Doom, go to work/school every day, and argue over pointless shit like this.
Graf Zahl wrote:For bone models the most important step is to get them in in the first place! Once the feature works it is time to see if other existing formats can be used as well. But having those formats for other engines dictate the limitations of model support is just insane. GZDoom isn't Quake 3, it also isn't Sauerbraten. It has different needs and different limitations imposed by how Doom works. So a new model format needs to be able to work in that framework - and if that requires a custom format, so be it!

And please think about why there currently is no bone model support! The fact that all potential formats come from other engines and do not translate well to Doom is a big part of it.
Well said.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Graf Zahl wrote:GZDoom isn't Quake 3
...but it would be nice, if gzdoom have something from quake 3.

Anyway, where I can get zdml converter, to play with bones and animations, if it now avaliable for the general public?
Or only after new stable gzdoom release?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Apeirogon wrote:Anyway, where I can get zdml converter, to play with bones and animations, if it now avaliable for the general public?
Or only after new stable gzdoom release?
As I understand it, the format is still being developed.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

So, new model format will be in the next gzdoom version, right!?
Just to know, I must wait a little and push bunch of models in new format, with bones and animations, or try to "have night full of love" with converting them to md3 format.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Ahem...
This gzdoom model format still on development?
Because the search for the "model" keyword through gzdoom github repository finds nothing relatively new, only handling for unreal engine models.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

No, I abandoned that thing. Short version is that I changed my mind and decided the iqm format is a good enough fit. There's nobody actively working this, though.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Ahhh...
I thought it already time when you dont need to create wall of text in modeldef to make simple animations from two steps.

Return to “General”