[HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run (solved)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Vader

[HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run (solved)

Post by Vader »

Hello everybody,
I bought a new Computer a few days ago and also got a copy of Doom (2016), but I just can't get it to run :(
First of all my system specs:

-AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-core Processor 3.40 GHz
-GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
-32 GB RAM
-Windows 10 64bit Home

Drivers are also all up to date and there is more than enough free diskspace (about 900GB).

Story so far:
After Doom was finally installed and I clicked play, a window popped up saying:

Preparing for first time setup...
Installing: Microsoft DirectX for Windows (step 1 of 1)

And then... nothing! Back at the steam library.
After a bit of research I tried the "verify integrity of game files" option in Steam, but it said everything was ok.
Then I tried running the game as Administrator and this time I at least got an error message:

The code execution cannot proceed because XINPUT1_3.dll
was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

Hmm ok, what if I just download the missing .dll and put it into Windows/System32?
Tried that and after starting the game again I got a black screen... and Doom console saying:

FATAL ERROR: failed to create Xaudio2 engine. Try installing the latest DirectX.

Huh? Windows 10 automatically comes with DirectX 12, so that should be the latest and after double-checking, it is installed on this system!
After some research in the web, I read that the Xaudio2 engine needs components of earlier versions of DirectX that DirectX 12 doesn't have anymore (for whatever reason)
and that the program "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... g=en&id=35)
should add those missing files and fix the problem.
Sounds promising, so I tried that and the program indeed seemed to "do something" at first, but then bombed out with this error:

An internal system error occurred.
Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem.

I looked up those log files, but I can't make much sense of them ... I also tried running the program as Administrator, but still the same result.
I'm not sure if it is save to post those log files in public as I fear they may contain crucial information, so I'm keeping them for myself for now!

This is just a short summary, as it took me several hours in total to even get to this point and I do have the feeling that I'm near the source of the problem... also
excuse me if this all sounds rather "noobish" or even naive. I admit that I don't have much insight on all the technical stuff concerning a PC, I'm just one of those guys
who wants to play games and don't care about all the things in the background to be honest :P
So yeah, I'm totally desperate right now and have no idea what to do anymore, so any help is more than welcome!
I've been looking forward to play this game for a long time now and the situation right now is killing me

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Vader on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [HELP] Can't get Doom 2016 to run

Post by TDRR »

Try downloading an offline version of the latest DirectX runtime, althrough i'm not sure if such a thing has been produced for this version.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What's probably happening is that the first time setup is failing - it runs the "redistributed" DirectX updates in silent mode, which also silences any errors they might be putting out. If your main user account isn't an administrator, that could be why. Find a "redist" folder in the game folder (by default it'd be C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\) and try running whatever setup file is inside directly.
Vader

Post by Vader »

My account in the windows settings tells me that I'm an Administrator and running the setup in the redist folder unfortunately results in the same error I posted above:

An internal system error occurred.
Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Hmm maybe...

1... try to delete the "XINPUT1_3.dll" that you downloaded and put on system32
2... download this-> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109 install it
3... cross fingers
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Vader wrote:Huh? Windows 10 automatically comes with DirectX 12, so that should be the latest and after double-checking, it is installed on this system!
It's not quite that simple. To cut a long story short, all the other DirectX versions need to be installed and updated too. The DX redist installer that comes with pretty much every Steam game should take care of this, and if it isn't then something's gone terribly wrong.

You can find the installer in your Steam install directory in Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.EXE. Run it and tell us what error messages you get.
Vader wrote:Hmm ok, what if I just download the missing .dll and put it into Windows/System32?
Downloading random DLLs off the internet and copying them into System32 is a terrible idea and will invariably break way more than it fixes.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Well... Any advice given currently is useless, since we don't know the exact specifics of the error in the log files, merely that one occurred. Trying to offer help without reading those is about as useful as trying to diagnose a patient whose only reported symptom is "I feel kinda crappy".

If you're unsure about whether those files contain private info (I certainly have no idea!) I'd suggest finding someone who's good with windows problems (Not me, that's for sure), that you trust, and sending them the logs.

QUICK EDIT: Looking inside DirectX.log, it seems that the only personal info it contains is your user account name. I don't have a DXerror.log to check since I've never had problems installing it, but I'd assume the same goes for that one. Worst case scenario, we find out your real name if you're using that for your account name.
elfor

Post by elfor »

Try installing this DirectX 9.0c "all in one" version, right click and run as administrator:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ae3js8cme ... proper.exe

(or extract "directx_Jun2010_redist_proper.exe" to a folder and run "DXSETUP.exe")
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The link Vader posted was the right one and solved the same problem for me with other games. I selected my language tough.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Thanks for the replies so far folks, I'm not at home ATM, but I will post the error logs when I get back later this evening!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

elfor wrote:Try installing this DirectX 9.0c "all in one" version, right click and run as administrator:

(or extract "directx_Jun2010_redist_proper.exe" to a folder and run "DXSETUP.exe")

Don't you think that's a bit... ... old?
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

elfor wrote:Try installing this DirectX 9.0c "all in one" version, right click and run as administrator:
**link**

I can't say I'd trust running an .exe from someone who has just registered today.
elfor

Post by elfor »

chopkinsca wrote:I can't say I'd trust running an .exe from someone who has just registered today.
Today is as good as any!
Graf Zahl wrote:

Don't you think that's a bit... ... old?
June 2010 is the last time DirectX 9 was updated, so no.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The previous link points to the offline installer as well (under additional info) and it's the same package (DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109
Vader

Post by Vader »

Here are the logs... I had to zip them because they are too large for an attachment!
Also, after briefly looking at them again, I noticed this in DirectX.log:
"01/16/19 02:50:23: dsetup32: Extracted file C:\Users\BJRN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DXAC8B.tmp\dxupdate.dll from cab"

and as my account name is "Björn", I'm wondering if the "Ö" is causing problems... probably a bit far fetched, but what do I know :roll:
Attachments
Error logs.zip
(14.27 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Return to “Off-Topic”