What are intel graphics like for demanding wads these days?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

What are intel graphics like for demanding wads these days?

Post by invictius »

I'm running a decent mac at the moment but it's simply too hard to get anything but the integrated intel 4600 working on it. Is blade of agony expecting a bit much to run on it? (It took a lot of effort just to get opengl working)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: What are intel graphics like for demanding wads these da

Post by wildweasel »

Gonna ask you the same question I always ask: why not try it yourself and see?
invictius

Post by invictius »

wildweasel wrote:Gonna ask you the same question I always ask: why not try it yourself and see?
This isn't a pointless question involving current-day wads on ancient hardware, it's something a sizeable amount of users would face since discrete video cards are usually reserved for high-end systems. I don't mean specifically for boa but in general. It's common knowledge that intel graphics aren't up to scratch for contemporary games, but playing through a couple of wads won't give much clarity on whether this is the case for gzdoom, add in the fact that both amd and intel cards have been optimized greatly about... 6 months ago?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I can run Frozen Time at roughly 25 fps on my work Mac (2.6 GHz CPU with an Iris chipset.) Unless you overload the GPU with effects it should be ok, but don't expect miracles. The biggest problem on Macs is not the Intel hardware but Apple's garbage OpenGL implementation.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

invictius wrote:
wildweasel wrote:Gonna ask you the same question I always ask: why not try it yourself and see?
This isn't a pointless question involving current-day wads on ancient hardware, it's something a sizeable amount of users would face since discrete video cards are usually reserved for high-end systems. I don't mean specifically for boa but in general. It's common knowledge that intel graphics aren't up to scratch for contemporary games, but playing through a couple of wads won't give much clarity on whether this is the case for gzdoom, add in the fact that both amd and intel cards have been optimized greatly about... 6 months ago?
It's still the same pattern over and over and over with you, again and again and again:

You're asking a question about a specific piece of hardware that's best answered empirically. You're wrong - playing a couple wads WILL give you some clarity.

This isn't a one-off thing with you. Literally every day that you spend on this forum, even if it's not every post, you ask questions like this. It's annoying, it's grating, and believe it or not we DO get a lot of complaints about it.

If you asked how it could run faster - maybe that would be slightly better. But in this case, a simple forum search would answer that question several times over and then some. Like, turning off SSAO and multisampling, and using half screen scaling. So even that would be annoying, at this point.

What it really comes down to is - the only reason you're still here is you haven't annoyed us enough for us to actually do something about it. But that can change very quickly...
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

invictius wrote:
This hasn't answered my question.
invictius

Post by invictius »

wildweasel wrote:
invictius wrote:
This hasn't answered my question.
Because I would have reached the wrong conclusion - that intel graphics are rubbish when it's actually just the implementation of opengl on macs, as Graf Zahl said. He gets down to the facts and doesn't see an issue with these posts.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Get him some data to work with, then. Go run the mod, take a screenshot of the stat rendertimes, then you'll have provided the data that others could use.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

invictius wrote:Because I would have reached the wrong conclusion - that intel graphics are rubbish when it's actually just the implementation of opengl on macs, as Graf Zahl said. He gets down to the facts and doesn't see an issue with these posts.
Intel graphics ARE rubbish. I'll grant they've made miles of improvements over what they had even a decade ago, but that doesn't change the fact that they simply don't stand up to discreet GPU's nor are they meant to.

Still - you could have found this out on your own had you booted off of a Linux USB or something.

Return to “General”