Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.2 UPDATE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
neoworm

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence [Beta v4] - Action Adventure TC

Post by neoworm »

I played and finished whole mod today. It was nice, I really like these semi open world mods for HeXen like Serpent Ressurection and this (even thou it's for DooM).

I think the damage output of crossbow and fists are too random. If it takes 1 or 3 hits to take down a minor monster it kinda sucks. Sometimes I can't even take down the small green gargoyles with fist altfire and I think I should be able to reliable oneshot imps with fist altfire. Crossbow have similar problem but since I use it mostly as ultimate kiting weapon where I run around packs of monsters and shoot through the crowd to hit as many as possible at once, it's not that noticable.
I hardly used the fire gloves spell because aiming it was really annoying. I tried to use it at the monastery to cover the plaforms with monsters with fire but I was hitting either wall or even ceiling. Also I think the spread is not that great and the cannon have higher damage output in the same situation.

The infusion scrolls would really use some UI counter. Their effect is not that visible specially when you are shooting on something far away. Infused weapons have some problems with weapon switching by using mouse wheel (next/preview weapon).

Lot of cliffs and platforms you are supposed to climb are badly visible. Especially in dim caves. Outside it's fine, when you are using the grass top platforms they are absolutelly perfect, but through the side cavers I often had to open map just to see where to go and finally found that there are stairs in the room.

And few bugs:
Spoiler:
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

neoworm wrote:I played and finished whole mod today. It was nice, I really like these semi open world mods for HeXen like Serpent Ressurection and this (even thou it's for DooM).
Thank you for playing the mod, your sprite work is one of my inspirations in starting this project :D
neoworm wrote: I think the damage output of crossbow and fists are too random. If it takes 1 or 3 hits to take down a minor monster it kinda sucks. Sometimes I can't even take down the small green gargoyles with fist altfire and I think I should be able to reliable oneshot imps with fist altfire.
No problem, might either change the random damage to 1d3 instead of the default or just outright boost the Alt fire damage. I agree that the melee Alt Fire should be more viable.
neoworm wrote: I hardly used the fire gloves spell because aiming it was really annoying. I tried to use it at the monastery to cover the platforms with monsters with fire but I was hitting either wall or even ceiling. Also I think the spread is not that great and the cannon have higher damage output in the same situation.
gonna do some tests and some more rebalancing on the Pyromancy weapon, might give it a better spread as well.
neoworm wrote: The infusion scrolls would really use some UI counter. Their effect is not that visible specially when you are shooting on something far away.
All powerup counter status can be toggled on the HUD (U is the default key) but i can also have it pop up somewhere on the main HUD.
neoworm wrote:Their effect is not that visible specially when you are shooting on something far away. Infused weapons have some problems with weapon switching by using mouse wheel (next/preview weapon).
I tested this out and i was able to switch weapons just fine with mouse wheel for infused weapons, or is there a different issue i wasn't able to notice?
neoworm wrote: Lot of cliffs and platforms you are supposed to climb are badly visible. Especially in dim caves. Outside it's fine, when you are using the grass top platforms they are absolutelly perfect, but through the side cavers I often had to open map just to see where to go and finally found that there are stairs in the room.
I can add torches to the climbable areas as indicators in dark caves and Canyons
Last edited by jazzmaster9 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

jazzmaster9 wrote:I tested this out and i was able to switch weapons just fine with mouse wheel for infused weapons, or is there a different issue i wasn't able to notice?
When I activate infusion scroll and have either crossbow, raven or serpent stuff previous weapon changes to pyromancy, than cannon and than to serpent staff and repeats. Next weapon switches to melee and stays there. There may be some other weird combinations, but generally previous weapon just rotates between serpent staff, pyromancy and cannon. Switching by numbers works just fine. I think there is something wrong with the weapon order, but I can't to look into the code right now.
jazzmaster9 wrote:I can add torches to the climbable areas as indicators in dark caves and Canyons
I would probably go for similar thing like with the grass tops - a different texture that indicates there is platform on top. Or maybe just slightly different texture for the platforms, or just any kind of sprite decorations placed on the platforms. There are multiple ways that are subtle and not so brutal as placing torches everywhere.
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence [Beta v5] - Action Adventure TC

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Beta Version 5 has been uploaded
changes:
- Changed the AltFire damage calculation for the fist to make it less random.
  • damage is now 20* random(1.4) instead of the old 10*random(1,8)
- A counter is shown in the HUD when elemental infusion is used.
  • counter is redish orange when using Fire Infusion and Blue when using Lightning Infusion
- Rite of Pyromancy now has wider spread range and will now spawn 5 flames instead of 4
- Fixed a miss tagged sector in Map08 that caused players to receive instant death damage.
- Fixed monsters that were stuck in a small sector in the Overworld.
- Gold Drop rates from all monsters (except bosses) have been reduced.
- Chests that used to dropped 400 gold now only drops 300.
- Chests that used to dropped 200 gold now only drops 150.
- Some retexturing and geometry changes on Map02, Map05 and Map16 to make climbable ledges more visible.
- Added more ambient noises for the Hunters' Settlement in the Overworld.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

jazzmaster9 wrote:Beta Version 5 has been uploaded
  • counter is redish orange when using Fire Infusion and Blue when using Lightning Infusion
Are there counters for usable items such as Boots of Speed?
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Mere_Duke wrote:
jazzmaster9 wrote:Beta Version 5 has been uploaded
Are there counters for usable items such as Boots of Speed?
There is :) you can toggle it on/off by pressing U
It show the counters for all the powerups. I did not want to clutter the main HUD.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

minor update uploaded:
- Corrected some more Typos on the Dialogue
- Changed Cacodemon blood color to Blue
- Changed Dweller blood color to Black
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Minor Update Uploaded:
- Fixed the Area transition text on Map 17 that wouldn't trigger.
- Changed the HudMessage scripts for All Area transition texts so that they are no longer dependent on GZDoom's Message HUD Scaling.
- Some texture alignment fixes.
- Changed geometry on Map 11 to make the transition from the overworld to the map look smoother.
- More Typo Corrections.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

This is extremely cool, the way you got it set up as a strife style rpg thing. I'd love to do something similar to this.
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence [Final Beta] - Action Adventure

Post by jazzmaster9 »

This update will now be the Final Beta version of the game
Changes:
- All Inventory Items are now undroppable
- Texture alignment fixes
- Changes in some dialogue for the Chieftain and Oscar.
- More Typo corrections

Keep the feedback and Suggestions coming.
ImpieTwo wrote:This is extremely cool, the way you got it set up as a strife style rpg thing. I'd love to do something similar to this.
I'm glad you enjoyed the mod :) Thank you for giving it a go.
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence [Final Beta] - Action Adventure

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Update regarding the final release:

As it is now, I believe this current version of the beta will be the possible release candidate moving forward.
Expect the final release to be sometime around the next couple of weeks, just been really busy with Thesis and just want to give you guys a heads up on why the updates have slowed down a bit.

Please keep the feedback and suggestions coming :)
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence RELEASED! - Action Adventure TC

Post by jazzmaster9 »

It's finally HERE! the final release version of Abysm: Dawn of Innocence

Thank You so much for everyone who participated in the beta to gave their feedback and suggestions, and also those who gave the mod a try. 
IDGames link will be up as soon as i can have it uploaded to the repository :) but theDropbox link is Up.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Official soundtrack has been released! Check it out. :)
https://johnsweekley.bandcamp.com/album ... -episode-1

I'll upload some videos of it this week when I get the chance for easy listening outside of bandcamp.

EDIT
YouTube vid of the entire soundtrack.
Staledonut
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Staledonut »

Played Through the mod and enjoyed it! lots of fun :)

i have to agree a little with another poster about there would be nice with a bit more props to make the world feel a bit more "alive" (its supposed to have a apocalytic feel-ish so im sure you get that i mean alive in a non literal way xD)
the weapon balance should probably be adressed too, serpent staff feels overpowered for the amount of ammo it uses, if you change the ammo usage to +1 im pretty sure it will be harder to go "infinite" on ammo when it comes to the weaker enemies i seldom ran out of ammo when i found the weapon. unlike the raven staff where i struggled with ammo conservation. this should probably make the player buy a bit more ammo for the different weapons. (finished the game with 15k gold)

Found a Bug = if you open a Chest and pick up the items, then save and reload you can then open the "opened" chest again and get the items once more.

saw a few typos in the dialogues

but again the gameplay and progression was alot of fun! cool use of a hub world!
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Thank you so much for trying out the Mod :D
Staledonut wrote: the weapon balance should probably be adressed too, serpent staff feels overpowered for the amount of ammo it uses, if you change the ammo usage to +1 im pretty sure it will be harder to go "infinite" on ammo when it comes to the weaker enemies i seldom ran out of ammo when i found the weapon.
I'll try to experiment with rebalancing the damage and/or ammo consumption of the shotgun. Though I think the +1 ammo use could work.
Staledonut wrote:Played Through the mod and enjoyed it! lots of fun :)
Found a Bug = if you open a Chest and pick up the items, then save and reload you can then open the "opened" chest again and get the items once more.
but again the gameplay and progression was alot of fun! cool use of a hub world!
hmmm, I could not replicate this glitch with GZDoom 3.4.1.0 which version of GZdoom are you using.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”