(Vinesauce Contest 2018) My first map - Deep Sea Lab

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

(Vinesauce Contest 2018) My first map - Deep Sea Lab

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

DEEP SEA LAB
By Ribonucleic Asshat / Permanoob

!!!IMPORTANT!!!
  • This map crashes in software mode, so make sure to use OpenGL
  • This map requires mouselook to be enabled, apologies to purists
  • This map should be played with a version of GZDoom newer than March 2018
  • This map may conflict with gameplay/monster mods. Run it alone for minimal bugs.
  • This map is many megabytes because I felt like sticking a cool mp3 in there. Sorry. :?
So what is this? Wasn't the contest a long time ago?
So, this is my first map I've ever released. It's probably, like, my 5th if you count ones I haven't released. Hopefully that explains why it's so mediocre. This was originally made for Vargskelethor Joel's doom mapping contest, and submitted in February, but since it has still yet to be judged, I figured I may as well release it here. So, "enjoy"! Expect a ton of amateur mistakes. Expected playtime: ~10 minutes, likely less

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tbctt43ql ... ab-rna.zip
Play with Doom 2.

CREDITS ARE INSIDE THE WAD
Please report any super-duper broken things. There shouldn't be any, but you never know.
StroggVorbis

Re: (Vinesauce Contest 2018) My first map - Deep Sea Lab

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry for being blunt, but what's the difference between the Vinesauce Version and the one included in Spooktober?
RiboNucleic Asshat

Oh, I'm a completely different person. I made this map in February. I actually had no idea there was a similarly named map in the Spooktober competition; Sorry for any confusion!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Oh, alright. Sorry then 😅
Gonna try it out later 😊
RiboNucleic Asshat

I would really appreciate criticism of, well, ANY sort- even if you're just viciously shitting on an aspect of the map. I'd like to improve, but I need to know what people think first.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Hey just wanted to say I really liked this map, very well done for a first map. Even though it fit into the theme of the map, I kinda found the underwater part annoying, fighting all those cacodemons and imps in an underwater environment. Other than that, great job!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

This is pretty entertaining map indeed. Unlike many oversized levels popular nowdays it's fun to play. The underwater area is cool too because it's rather short.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Sorry for being blunt, but what's the difference between the Vinesauce Version and the one included in Spooktober?
Judging just by the screenshots alone, this map does not look anything like the Spooktober version whatsoever, anyhow.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I was too quick to judge, it just occured to me that I saw this thread while I was playing through Spooktober's Deep Sea by CamperLv125 without having finished it first. So I assumed from the screenshots and from the similar name that it's actually the same map without checking the authors first. That's what I get for typing without thinking, I guess :shock:
rockthemike13

Post by rockthemike13 »

If any one hasn't tried this, they should! Excellent map. Great use of details, challenging fights, neat concept. I have no criticisms, had fun from start to finish.

Just curious, where did you get the squid baron sprite? Did you make that? I haven't seen it before. Genuinely curious and not being a credit stickler or any thing, if it was you it looks amazing.

Do you plan on making more? I'm totally interested if you are.
RiboNucleic Asshat

Thank you everyone for the kind words! To be honest, I was expecting a more... unfavorable response, so it's nice to know that maybe I'm being a bit hard on myself.
Beezle wrote:Hey just wanted to say I really liked this map, very well done for a first map. Even though it fit into the theme of the map, I kinda found the underwater part annoying, fighting all those cacodemons and imps in an underwater environment. Other than that, great job!
When I first started making the map, I wanted the underwater part to be much more expansive; unfortunately, I hit a few snags with that plan: 1, I suck at making natural terrain, and 2, the underwater movement was a bit less fun than I assumed it would be. As a result, I cut down the underwater part to be more tolerable since I didn't want to entirely sacrifice my original vision for the map.
rockthemike13 wrote: Just curious, where did you get the squid baron sprite? Did you make that? I haven't seen it before. Genuinely curious and not being a credit stickler or any thing, if it was you it looks amazing.

Do you plan on making more? I'm totally interested if you are.
I did not make the baron sprite, no. It's easy to miss, but I wrote in the OP that credits are inside the .wad (alongside my real name, I guess you can dox me now!)-- The baron sprite specifically is made by Dr. Doctor. You can find it on Realm667 as "Deep one"; I merely took the sprites and repurposed them to replace the normal baron instead of being its own enemy. (By the way, if that's not cool with someone, please tell me and I can simply remove the sprites from the wad. I was in a hurry during the contest so I never thought to ask for permission, but I assumed it was fine since it's on r667.)

As for making more maps, I would certainly love to! However, whether I can actually bring myself to complete one without the pressure of a contest or not is another question entirely.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on how it devolves into a mindless slaughter at the end-- That's my least favorite part of the map, but I was running out of time and ideas so I just rushed something to cap it off.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Sorry I'm late I don't know why I didn't post this before. I really liked this map it was a lot of fun. The underwater part was cool I like stuff like that. great map good job. Oh and here is a nice video I did of the map.

DavidN

Post by DavidN »

What a great first map :) I loved the alternating between land and water sections - I think you could really take that idea and run with it for an episode, making the water sections much more vertical-focused!

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

http://bit.ly/sendlawyers
https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2

Return to “Levels”