What's all the GPL-Incompat. stuff in GZDoom 1.8.6?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

What's all the GPL-Incompat. stuff in GZDoom 1.8.6?

Post by TDRR »

So, i was thinking, if GLOOME is GZDoom 1.8.10 with some added stuff and other things removed because they violate the terms of the GPL license, and i have so much trouble compiling it, then what is stopping me from just doing my own GPL-GZDoom 1.8.6?

Basically what i want to know is exactly which are the libraries and code that are licensed with a GPL-Incompatible license.

Off the top of my mind i can only remember FMOD, the OPL player and the Software render.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: What's all the GPL-Incompat. stuff in GZDoom 1.8.6?

Post by Kinsie »

See the “Older Versions” section of the [wiki]License[/wiki] wiki page.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

I suppose i can replace mscinlines.h, gccinlines.h, asm_ia32/a.asm, r_things.cpp, r_segs.cpp and r_draw.cpp with their GLOOME counterparts, force the OpenAL backend and not include FMOD, remove/replace the OPL player, edit gzdoom.pk3 and remove sprites and sounds as needed and i'm good to go right?

I know it's not that simple but the basic process is that i think. Thanks Kinsie! I will try compiling GLOOME with VC2012 and see if it works before doing this.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Just keep in mind - we're not lawyers. So if you do go GPL you assume that risk. Triple and quadruple-check to make sure you've got EVERYTHING if you want to stay in the clear.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Rachael wrote:Just keep in mind - we're not lawyers. So if you do go GPL you assume that risk. Triple and quadruple-check to make sure you've got EVERYTHING if you want to stay in the clear.
Will do, hopefully i can catch everything.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Wait, hold up, is Zandronum viable for commercial games? I'm reading the Sleepycat license https://opensource.org/licenses/Sleepycat and i can't see anything saying i can't make money with it.

I know there's other components that aren't licensed like this but if i can just do the same as in GZD 1.8.6 (obviously i will ask around the Zand forums) then that would make my game a couple million times better, i mean, netcode that keeps everything in sync?!
the DUMB license wrote:Users who wish to use DUMB for the specific purpose of playing music are
required to feed their dog on every full moon
I don't have a dog so i automatically got forbidden to use it? :lol:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can indeed use Zandronum commercially but you must remove all the non-commercial exploitation out of it. And keep in mind only the Zandronum code, itself applies. The moment you use the Doom portions commercially it switches from the DSL to the GPL, and GPL is far more restrictive. In its current state, Zandronum is technically Sleepycat + Build + DSL + etc. Build and DSL automatically forbid commercial use.

That means you have to remove the FMod, the majority of build-derived code, etc.
Gez

Post by Gez »

TDRR wrote:
the DUMB license wrote:Users who wish to use DUMB for the specific purpose of playing music are
required to feed their dog on every full moon
I don't have a dog so i automatically got forbidden to use it? :lol:
Please look at Clause 8 which was added after Clause 6 and placed before Clause 1.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Gez wrote:Please look at Clause 8 which was added after Clause 6 and placed before Clause 1.
Whew, what a relief. :D

Anyways, it seems that i'm going to go with a modified GZDoom 1.8.6, to keep the same engine for all operating systems.
From what i know GLOOME won't compile on anything other than Windows.

Hopefully netplay won't be too bad.

Return to “General”