Hearts of Demons - REVENANT [0.3.0 Beta]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Hearts of Demons - REVENANT [0.3.0 Beta]

Post by Brohnesorge »

GZDoom 4.5.0 or higher recommended!
Discord Server for my mods

Download the Latest Release
GitLab Repo

GZDoom can run zips like it can pk3 or WAD, so after downloading just load it up like you would any other mod.

Death is just the beginning of new life.

In Hell, this is especially so. Corpses dragged to some dark corner. Infused with dark magics and augmented with cybernetics. Now near mindless slaves filled with fury and hate.

This was your fate. Slain in the defense of humanity, your body experimented on to improve on these slaves. But something went wrong. Your mind remains yours. Stripped of memory and gifted a new body with no master to serve, you lash out in seemingly unending anger and agitation.

Destroy everything. Fulfill your purpose as...

A Revenant.

Master the use of your hands, cannons and even the very magic that keeps you alive to crush all things in your way.

Gameplay Changes

The Revenant is a powerful a versatile creature capable of using its hands and its shoulder mounted weaponry completely independently of each other. Unlike most Revenants, your armor allows you to mount several different shoulder cannons to choose from, and your more coherent mind allows you to wield weapons recovered from fallen enemies with your hands. You and your powers are fueled by an dark energy your on board AI tells you is called 'Grave'. Grave can be restored and your body repaired by absorbing souls. When your weapons run out of ammo, you can burn through your Grave to continue to fire them.

You come equipped with Afterburners. These recharging jets allow you to Dash with Sprint, double jump and fly with Zoom. Reload throws a haymaker or swings the Beelezbub. This attack can be charged up for additional damage.

Agitation is a passive mechanic of the mod. It goes up when you get hit, and depletes over time. As it rises, your melee damage rises but your cannon's accuracy falls. When maxed out, it resets to 0 and gives you a berserk.

Instead of powerups, you find various upgrades to your form, give you enhancements and abilities.

Make sure you have the Fire, Alt-Fire, Zoom and Reload keys mapped! Playing with Allow Crouch and Allow Jump set to 'On' in Gameplay Options highly recommended.

Weapons

Weapons specially designed for the MK2 model of Revenant can be recovered on the field. An unidentified entity has placed crates of these weapons all around. Hypothesis : A creator is gathering combat data on its creation.
I wonder if this creator expects me to be able to pick up and use the guns from the possessed soldiers. I know these hands can dish out some major pain even without a weapon.
The Project's specifications are unknown to this unit. Accessing index of know weapons...
Spoiler: Revenant Weapons

Items and Upgrades
A primary feature of the MK2 Revenant armor is a modular design allowing for the installation of multiple shoulder cannons and various hardware and software upgrades. UPGRADES UNDER CONSTRUCTION. MK2 Armor comes in 3 classes : Light, Medium and Heavy. Revenant armor is offers powerful protection capabilities, often completely negating damage from small arms. The Revenant frame is fragile, so great caution must be used when armor is destroyed.

Upgrades are split into 6 "slots"; these slots are purely for organization purposes. The slots are: Head, Chest, Back, Arms, Feet and Misc.
Spoiler: Items
Spoiler: Upgrades
Gameplay vid with Gun Bonsai and LEGION:

The follow up to Hearts of Demons - BARON is finally here. Featuring everyone's favorite dooting angryboi. The philosophy is much the same: take the monster, make it playable and expand upon its abilities and lore with the power of fanfiction headcanon. And being overpowered. While Baron focused on magic, Revenant focuses much more on weaponry and cybernetics. Keep in mind, this is currently an ALPHA, with many elements missing, incomplete or being placeholders. That said, I'm releasing it so it can be shared and played, and am looking for any and all comments, concerns and issues.

Changelog

Code: Select all

// --- GENERAL --- //
-Added a night vision shader to Infrared Lens
-You can now charge up the Haymaker and Beelzebub attacks
-Added installation sequence to Upgrades and Weapons
-Updated system booting sequence 
-Added CVar for installation sequence
-Removed weapon box text
-Integrated m8f's Target Spy into the mod
-Added damage direction indicators 
-Axe spawns now reroll instead of disappearing if you already have an axe
// --- WEAPONS --- //
-New Weapon: The Asura Combat System and the Ereshkigal upgrade for it! 
-New Upgrade: Powered Joints! Slot Arm and increases minimum damage of fists to half of maximum damage
-The Axe is known as the Beezlebub. Now costs 10 Grave to swing and drains life.
-Revenant rockets now do Fire damage instead of Piercing
-Revenant ammo pickups now fade away after a few seconds
-Aym spread tightened greatly
-Aym Grave shot now alternates cannons
-Beur is now a 3 round burst
-Beur damage reduced
-Beur agitation penalty reduced
-Leviathan missile blast area reduced
-Leviathan missile now fires smaller rockets as it flies
-Leviathan missile damage is now based on how many rockets it has left 
// --- MISC --- //
-Removed options that no longer function
-Made red and blue keys lighter on the HUD
-Lined up Beur muzzle flashes better
-Behemoth explosion graphics updated
-Teleport fog and sound updated
TODO for 0.4.0
- Head upgrades like radar and minimaps
- Tweaks tweaks tweaks AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Last edited by Brohnesorge on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 16 times in total.
YoBadMama

Re: Hearts of Demons - REVENANT [Early Alpha Release]

Post by YoBadMama »

I love playing HoD Baron, so I had to give this one a try! Had a few user errors going in, mainly because, being used to the baron, I charged into everything and kept jumping into lava pits, but after playing for a bit he was easy to get used to. The main guns are great, the secondary weapons were an awesome surprise (I went in blind), and I really like the lore and background to the weapons, pickups, and items, adds a lot of personality to the mod and the revenant.

A humorous note is that if I attack with a secondary weapon and quickly press the reload key, it will make the weapon duck down like it's being changed while the attack animation plays and the weapon will come back up and rest at the center of the screen, so I could have a floating, disembodied revenant hand or axe head floating in the center of the screen. It fixes itself the next time you attack with it, so it's not serious. Tried getting a screenshot of it, but it only captures GZDoom's console box, and not the actual game.
As for major issues, I haven't experienced any.

Loving the mod so far, and I'm excited to see what comes next! :D
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

:wub: finally, I've been waiting for this for sooooooooooooooo long :wub:
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

brohnesorge why
i'm agitated to play this rn
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Well, i'll say, it's super fun.
not sure if zipping around at sonic speed is something i'd expect out of skeleton, but that's fun i guess

edit: just wondering, what hearts of demons mods will we see next? probably archvile, maybe imp?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Thanks everyone for playing so far! I'm glad to see that reception is mostly positive and keep it coming, but please do not refrain from posting any concerns or criticisms you might have. Just keep in mind this is an Alpha and a lot of stuff is subject to changed. Now to respond to some stuff...
YoBadMama wrote: Overlay placement stuff
This is known and will be fixed later on. It's pretty minor, doesn't interfere with gameplay that much, if at all, and fixes itself after firing again, as noted. But overlays are wacky is the source of that.
Tartlman wrote:Gotta go fast and future HoDs
Revenants are among the fastest non-boss enemies in the game, tied with Pinkies and second only to Archviles, so it made sense to me to make the MK2 fast. I do plan on overhauling his movement a bit later on, just so you don't go from 0 to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA instantly. As for future HoDs, the only ones I plan on making after this are Archvile and Arachnotron. The others I either don't find interesting enough as monsters, like pinkies or imps, or I don't think I could make them fun to play, like manicubi.

I want to also note that until the mod is out of Alpha, I won't be making any kind of changelog here on the forums, and updates to the repo will be silent. Just check in on it every once in a while or join the Discord to stay up to date on it. Once it get into Beta, then I will start actually making segmented updates with announcements and change logs. I will consider the mod in Beta when all the weapons and spells are in.

Thanks for playing so far and keep me posted!
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Can't run in zandronum for some reason, I know I can play it in gzdoom but i'm trying to play multiplayer with a friend...any ideas?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

The mod uses ZScript, which Zandro does not support. Additionally, due to the way weapon and item spawning works, the mod will not work in multiplayer regardless of source port.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Thanks for the quick reply....:/
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

SHayden wrote:Can't run in zandronum for some reason, I know I can play it in gzdoom but i'm trying to play multiplayer with a friend...any ideas?
So here's something you should probably know:

zandronum doesn't support very much stuff. It's pretty far behind gzdoom. You can play multiplayer in gzdoom, just google a guide or something.
Goregrinder

Post by Goregrinder »

I just came back to playing doom and doom mods, and this really kicks ass. I love the weapons and the combination of the shoulder mounted weapons and the handheld stuff. Very cool
lwks

Post by lwks »

Cool mod, you seemed to have learned a lot after making the Baron one. Maybe merge the two together and all future Hearts of Demons? Btw what do you think about moving the shoulder weapons up to the top of the screen? RIP FoV
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Just a few comments. Weapons need to not whiff if you're too close to a wall, it makes the main rocket launcher extremely dangerous. Also it'd be nice if the fists can continue to be used when you have the halberd since it's a Revenant you're playing. Punching things is his charm. Otherwise I'm loving the concept as much as HODB, can't wait to see it finalized! Oh, and I'd like to second merging into HODB since it'd be great multiplayer fun to have different classes, but no idea how that would work out item-wise.

Also generally, I'd advise to people to play this on more open maps, the lower ceilings in a lot of the vanilla ones doesn't work well with taller monsters in general. Colourful Hell is also a good idea like with HODB since the vanilla monsters are no challenge.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Wall whiffing is something I'm working on trying to mitigate without completely sacrificing visual integrity. In the meantime, the Hydra is hitscan and as such is unaffected by walls, and the hand guns are meant to cover the difference in tighter quarters and are also hitscans. Melee is also getting reworked almost completely, and eventually you will be able to throw the axe to bring back punching stuff on top of a Slot 1 melee weapon coming: The Ereshkigal Rocket Fists, a whole arm and should device that can't be used with cannons but allows for crazy charging and explosive punches!

As for merging HODR with HODB and future HODs...as it stands now it's impossible as the two mods are wildly different from each other under the hood, even if they share some concepts. Even more so with future HDDs as they will also feature unique gameplay. That said...perhaps at some point down the road, a multiplayer multiclass HOD could be made that features more homogenized (if stripped down) features to allow for multiplayer could be made...maybe.

FoV concerns are heard and noted. I will see what I can do about it, but I'm hoping once I can start making sprites for the weapons instead of just bootlegging it, it will be less of a concern.

Thanks for your feedback and enjoyment of the mod! As always keep me posted.

EDIT: I highly recommend you guys set Allow Crouch in Gameplay Options to ON. This will let you crouch regardless of map settings and may help with ceiling whiffing issues.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

thing I recorded earlier. I have target spy autoloaded and I might've flailed around trying to hit bees a bit.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”