Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.6.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:ah okay. Yeah, I noticed the bosses at E1M8 (which I really like) so I just was curious. Thanks for clearing that up! I just figured for E2 and E3 M8, it'd always me a unique boss since they're boss levels. Not a problem that it doesn't though. I like the idea that it waits until you're powerful enough.
There are special bosses for E2 and E3

On E2 you should encounter a big boss (Cyber Tyrant) and on E3 (you will always encounter a mini-boss + cyberdemon + mastermind) as long as you have the Fancy Levels stuff enabled.
I did have a bug (which might be addressed in the next patch) where fighting the E1M8 boss, I killed one, saved, then had to load. Somehow the boss I killed got its health back, but was still dead. Because of this, after killing the remaining boss, the walls didn't lower. I just IDCLIP'd out of it, but figured I'd point it out.
I'm not really sure what you mean. In order for this boss encounter to work properly you must be seen by the belphegor, this launches an ACS script that watches the health of the belphegor and the duke. Once both enemies HP have been reduced to zero, the walls should lower.

If something happens to jack up this script (such as using notarget to prevent the belphegor from properly aggroing onto the player, and then using MDK on the duke), the walls wont work, I'll try to make this more robust, but it's very difficult to accomplish without adding in yet another map, which I'd like to avoid.
Enjay wrote:I just had a VM execution abort with this mod. I was playing Strife and I had cheated to get everything. I got hit by the rockets from a crusader and then the following got spammed to the console a few thousand times (and it kept spamming, making it necessary for me to use Shift-Ctrl-Esc to kill GZDoom).

Code: Select all

Called from GC_MBlurHandler.NetworkProcess at Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3:zscript/specialeffects/motionblur.txt, line 31
VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
I haven't started work on strife yet. I apologize that the experience isn't up the standard that DOOM and Heretic should be on. I highly doubt that the motion blur script is responsible for this, however, it does have an annoying side effect of making it very hard to actually detect the cause of a VM abort. I'll report this problem upstream and try to fix motion blur myself.

The root cause of the abort may be some bad behavior interacting with Vindicated and some strife enemies/projectiles. I'll try to test it and see what the cause is, I'm likely about to start work on the strife adaptation of Vindicated.

In order to get a better printout of the actual root cause of the VM abort try loading vindicated with strife and printing a logfile like this

C:\doom_stuff\> gzdoom.exe -iwad strife1.wad -file guncaster_vindicated.pk3 +logfile C:\users\myusername\desktop\strife_error_log.txt
Thanks again for the reports and for playing!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Understood about incomplete Strife support. No need to apologise. I was just giving it a go to see if it would work and merely reporting the abort because it happened.

I generally run a log file with GZDoom all of the time (which is where I got the above message). I can post the entire log file if you like. However, I just noticed that there were a few messages just before the one I already posted:

The log entry before this was just a standard console message that I'd expect to see during normal play. Then I got this.

Called from PlayerPawn.UseInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player_inventory.txt
Called from PlayerPawn.AutoUseStrifeHealth at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player_inventory.txt, line 312
Called from Guncaster.DamageMobj at Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3:zscript/guncaster.txt
Called from Actor.DamageMobj [Native]
Called from GC_MBlurHandler.NetworkProcess at Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3:zscript/specialeffects/motionblur.txt, line 31
After that, the last two lines repeat about 2000 times (no exaggeration) until I killed the game with Task Manager.

All I was doing at the time was running around in map07, Programmer's Castle randomly shooting at stuff.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Enjay wrote:Understood about incomplete Strife support. No need to apologise. I was just giving it a go to see if it would work and merely reporting the abort because it happened.

I generally run a log file with GZDoom all of the time (which is where I got the above message). I can post the entire log file if you like. However, I just noticed that there were a few messages just before the one I already posted:

The log entry before this was just a standard console message that I'd expect to see during normal play. Then I got this.

Called from PlayerPawn.UseInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player_inventory.txt
Called from PlayerPawn.AutoUseStrifeHealth at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player_inventory.txt, line 312
Called from Guncaster.DamageMobj at Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3:zscript/guncaster.txt
Called from Actor.DamageMobj [Native]
After that, the last two lines repeat about 2000 times (no exaggeration) until I killed the game with Task Manager.

All I was doing at the time was running around in map07, Programmer's Castle randomly shooting at stuff.
I always appreciate the bug reports, it shows that you folks care and helps make the mod better. So I definitely appreciate the report.

This particular bug you say happened when you got hit by a crusader rocket if I understand correctly? This may have something to do with the way strife handles medkits, as strife likes to automatically use medkits when your HP drops to 0.
The other issue is that I screwed up and forgot about this

Return Super.DamageMobj(inflictor,source,damage, mod, flags, angle);
In GZDoom 3.7.0 I have to pick through the code and make sure I don't have any "Return Super.*" stuff anymore, and handle it like this

Super.DamageMobj(inflictor,source,damage, mod, flags, angle);
Return;
I'd like to try to replicate this bug in GZDoom 3.6.0 and see if it causes an abort. If it doesn't, that will probably isolate the problem at hand.[/s]

Edit:
Disregard that, the error is coming from GZDoom 3.7.0, I have filed a bug report. The VM Aborts under the same conditions when running strife with no addons for all users. We'll have to wait for an upstream fix to use strife with GZDoom 3.7.0.
Thanks again for bringing this to my attention, vigilance like this from players that care help make GZDoom as great as it is!
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.6.1

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to Version 2.6.1 today, adding some fun stuff and patching some bugs.

Notes are here:
Spoiler:
This stuff needs a LOT of testing in multiplayer and various iwads, especially Plutonia, TNT, Hexen, and Strife. All your hard work helping me test this to ensure it is in full working order is much appreciated.
Testing is needed with GZDoom 3.7.1
I have NOT tested this with 3.7.1 so unpredictable results may occur.
I will begin testing it with 3.7.1 immediately in order to prepare for a patch for Eviternity.

Stay tuned, there will be another couple of updates before I disappear for a long time again in preparation for another big surprise. ;)

-Dino

Edit:
Update to 2.6.2
Very minor credits cleanup to add more detail and specificity to the requirements of using certain parts of the code.
No gameplay changes or bug fixes in this update.
DenisNinja

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.6.2

Post by DenisNinja »

Hell On Earth Starter Pack, is giving errors to me and is not working with GZDOOM 3.6, does anyone know how to get the correct wad to work perfectly the Guncaster Vindicated campaign?
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

DenisNinja wrote:Hell On Earth Starter Pack, is giving errors to me and is not working with GZDOOM 3.6, does anyone know how to get the correct wad to work perfectly the Guncaster Vindicated campaign?
Huh, that's odd, it's working perfectly fine for me. The weird thing is that its actually running better in 3.6 than in 3.7 for me but then again I had two addons with it, DamNums and TopHPBars, although I don't see how they'd effect it. You're not loading it with HoE Starter Pack are you?
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

DenisNinja wrote:Hell On Earth Starter Pack, is giving errors to me and is not working with GZDOOM 3.6, does anyone know how to get the correct wad to work perfectly the Guncaster Vindicated campaign?
If you want to play the Hell On Earth Starter Pack (in this mod it is called "Vindicated Campaign") it is included with the mod. SGT_Mark has very kindly allowed me to include an edited version of this map pack with Guncaster Vindicated.

To play it, all you must do is load Guncaster Vindicated with DOOM2.wad, that's it.
Do not attempt to load the hell on earth starter pack separately or you will get errors due to duplicate actors.

Load the game using the command line as follows

C:\Doom_stuff> Gzdoom.exe -iwad DOOM2.wad -file Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3
Once the game starts, select the "Asskick" option from the start menu, and then select "Vindicated Campaign." Choose your desired difficulty and you should be ready to go.

If performing all these steps fails, follow the instructions in this video:
Spoiler:
If you continue to have difficulties or have further questions (or just wanna chat about Guncaster and Guncaster Vindicated) feel free to join the discord server here: https://discord.gg/7Dd8GCD

Hope this helps, and happy hunting!
-Dino
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.7.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Mod updated to version 2.7.0

This includes a brand new beta test of a Generic Monster adapter.
This adapter will replace incompatible actors from depreciated map packs with appropriate actors from Guncaster vindicted.

More about this patch
Spoiler:
P.S.
Side note, the old patches for masters of chaos and Hordes of chaos are still included with the download, but are now depreciated and no longer needed.

They will probably malfunction if you keep the Generic Adapter turned on, so shut it off if you wanna use the old patches.

Masters of Chaos and Hordes of chaos will now function with Guncaster Vindicated out of the box, and no patches are necessary.

Also included is a barrel lag fix patch for playing Eviternity.
This corrects the lag and problems that are caused by the voodoo scripting that is employed in map05 and others.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.7.1

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Patching to 2.7.1

bugfixes:
Spoiler:
Edit:
update
almost unnoticable bug fix.

Edit2:
more bug fixes
dynamite strat and spells no longer spawn water splashes (should help with performance)
updated sounds to not be incorrect while playing freedoom.
prototyping cluster text added.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.8

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to Version 2.8

This brings Guncaster Vindicated in line with the Guncaster 3.2 update. Of course there are several changes.

-bug with shotgunner dropping two shotguns if killed by fire fixed
-cyberdemon dropping two chests when killed by fire fixed
-nailgunner attack speed reduced
-some quality of life changes to berserk/executes/activated items/artifacts/etc... Nothing huge, just making executes and items behave better.
-resistance to recoil added when using powersuits (you'll be knocked back less by augur/ironblast/matriarch when using powered up suits.)
-(almost) all GC 3.2 fixes and updates applied.
[spoiler]
I'm not adding that health bar for enemies yet. It's not behaving properly and I need more time to fix it... Also keks is fixing it upstream.

Before anyone asks, not the new addon isn't going to load with this...
Don't panic! I might have a surprise for you, heh. ;)
Play through some map packs and have fun!
[/spoiler]
affandede

Post by affandede »

This addon doesn't get the attention she deserves (yes, she is a she for me). But I think it gives PillowBlaster's awesome magnum opus a much needed coat of challenge. Keep up the good work, Dinosaur. You modder guys are an inspiration for me in everything I did, do and will do.
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Just wanted to say awesome work with this. Love me some Guncaster, so being able to play with a Brutal style enemy set Eday is pretty awesome!
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to 2.8.1

-fixed error with striders lantern taking too much mana. Now it takes the intended amount of mana.
-fixed error with ice imps jumping to a non-existent state.
-fixed error with IceLiches spawning on improper levels
-updated archviles damage to be less stupid
-fixed weapon wheel missing icons.
-Added a necessary mechanic for melee in certain circumstances.
-Fixed VM abort when summoning draugh minion in certain circumstances.
-Enabled use of Judgement in a special circumstance
Special circumstances detailed in spoiler (spoiler is actually a spoiler)
Spoiler:
affandede wrote:This addon doesn't get the attention she deserves (yes, she is a she for me). But I think it gives PillowBlaster's awesome magnum opus a much needed coat of challenge. Keep up the good work, Dinosaur. You modder guys are an inspiration for me in everything I did, do and will do.
baddude1337 wrote:Just wanted to say awesome work with this. Love me some Guncaster, so being able to play with a Brutal style enemy set Eday is pretty awesome!
Hey! Glad you folks are having fun! I've got a loooong way to go before I'm finished here, so stay tuned for new content!
Don't forget to try out Heretic with this mod, it's got fresh new monsters as well that I think are super fun.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.9

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to version 2.9!

This one is a pretty big deal...

-Brand spankin new Generic adapter system for GCV! Details below.
-Fixed Error with the DOOM2 remapping system that caused Z-Fighting.
-Fixed Old Dreadful autoaiming when designated not to do so.
-Fixed monsters getting stuck in ceilings
-Fixed other odd monster behavior
-Masters of pain now have a new effect: Double flinch time for all weapons when inflicting pain.
New Generic Adapter added!
Spoiler:
Go ahead! Hit GCV with your best shot, Project Brutality monsters, Dark Monsters, Bratwurst, all monsters are now Guncaster Monsters!

It's burning time!
-Dino

P.S.
I'll make a special post for all my little mutator stuff including a prototype test mutator for Guncaster Official 3.2 to allow the official version to also adapt to any monster pack.
affandede

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 2.9

Post by affandede »

Playing Guncaster alongside custom monster packs? Can I ejaculate now?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”