Update reminder

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Death Egg

Update reminder

Post by Death Egg »

I'll bet having an automatic updater would be a huge pain in the ass to implement, but if GZDoom had a way to check if there's updates and tell the user if it finds that there are any that would be helpful in preventing people from asking why newer mods won't work. (As well as helpful for people like me who don't check nearly as often as to if an update has happened) Think how SLADE3 does it, basically lets you know there's an update and links you to the download page to download the newest version.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Update reminder

Post by Rachael »

This is something that's been suggested before, but in my opinion it's still too contentious an issue to do it. Honestly I think it's better to just have this in your browser's bookmarks and just check it every so often.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Rachael wrote:This is something that's been suggested before, but in my opinion it's still too contentious an issue to do it. Honestly I think it's better to just have this in your browser's bookmarks and just check it every so often.
What makes it contentious? If it's being annoyed by constant reminders, couldn't that just be set to be off in the .ini file or something similar?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It's invasive. When this is suggested the response is not all positive. Is it useful? Yes. Do people want it? You're talking about the Doom community here - who is rightfully jaded about the bullshit corporations tend to pull. A move like this would be interpreted as mass surveilience and/or data collection - which IS something big corporations do - and we would not be able to shake that off even if we deleted the data which, for security purposes would still have to be logged, anyhow.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Understandable, especially given the past couple years. Too bad there isn't a way to do it without logging that information. Surprised there hasn't been some kind of negative response with SLADE3 too then. (Unless I've just missed that)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think most mappers are a bit more levelheaded than all those players out there who do not visit these forums.
wrkq

Post by wrkq »

Plus consider "GZDoom prompted me to update, I clicked yes, and now MyFavouriteMod is not working anymore! YOUR FAULT!" :(

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”