The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Enjay »

Stumbled across this piece of Doom fan art while looking for something completely unrelated.
Spoiler:
I thought it was quite cool.

No idea who did it so if anyone knows, please let me know so that I can credit/link appropriately.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

It looks like it was done by a guy called DaveDozer, although all original links to the drawing are dead and/or infested with spyware and redirects.

He was on deviantart, but seems to have been expelled.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks. certainly googling his name and "doom art" brings up the image (and a slightly higher resolution one at that) but there isn't much about him out there right enough.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That's super impressive! How exactly old is that drawing anyway? Like, from mid 2000's? Looks amazing regardless. I liked to play Doom without any mods back then and always will. And yeah, playing it with any mods are still great to this day, and modding is still going on even! I just miss the ol' days with silly plain-as-vanilla doom. That's all.
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I dislike the implication that the explosion of gameplay mods has somehow "ruined" Doom in the past 15-20 years :-? Doom's still as great as it ever was, if not better.

8-)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oooookay. For some reason i described it as mods-are-bad kind of way. I apologize and i've just corrected my words. Don't get me wrong, gameplay mods are still great and i approve them to create more mods in the future.

And ultimately, i don't think i said anything blatantly bad about doom mods. Sorry if you felt that way!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i think he might've meant that there's something magical and wistful playing Doom back in the day when the amount of mods and maps weren't as gigantic as it is now. i can at least relate to the feeling of playing the shareware version on a Windows 95 system way back when i was little, sucking in the atmosphere of the game and feeling totally immersed in its world. that doesn't mean that any of the gameplay mods today has "ruined" the essence of the game, it's just that it's a heavy nostalgic connection i have of playing the game at that particular setup back then that cannot possibly be recreated nowadays.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Captain J wrote:I just miss the ol' days with silly plain-as-vanilla doom. That's all.
Since when is vanilla dead? Maybe it's not so popular here but there's no shortage of new vanilla and Boom projects over at Doomworld.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Yeah. There’s plenty of vanilla-ish content out there, isn’t there?

For me, the nostalgic days were around 2013. GZDoom was on that funny-looking blue webpage, being stuck at 1.8.2 while the actual latest version, 1.8.4, was posted on the forums that I never bothered to check until much later. :D

Now that I remember, my introduction to Doom was a friend of mine at that time sending me a .zip file packed with Zandronum and a cracked version of Doom II. I’m not so sure we ever got around to playing it together, and we eventually fell out, but I digress. Eventually, I started reading up on what source ports were and, you know, purchased Doom II. Also got The Ultimate DOOM and all the other old DOOM content packs with my mom’s money after some time. Then I picked up modding and made a few of my own projects. I had quite a rough start on this forum, but that’s teenage life for you. Things never come out the way you want them to.

Nowadays, whenever I’m spending time on Doom, I usually work on things in line with my current interests. I started studying Russian, having quite a name in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community as a translator of several Eastern-made mods made in Russian. So, for fun, a while back, I got together with some Russian natives (and people from neighboring countries who speak the same language) and started making a Russian translation for ZDoom. It was quite a journey, and even though it’s still not perfect (I’ll get around to it… one day), I’m really happy with the amount of possibilities GZDoom gives and has given us for… what is it, about a decade? (Even if hacking the codepage isn’t really intended on the engine side :D)

Wew, that was a long post
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

So, my TransAm WS6 power steering cooler developed pinhole leaks, which means both my engine coolant AND my power steering system have cross contaminated each other. AND I am leaking coolant (therefore, leaking both coolant AND power steering fluid.) So, I just had to buy an aftermarket power-steering radiator, an upper radiator hose without the power steering connections, a bunch of power steering fluid, distilled water, and DexCool Antifreeze. And I have to flush/fill both systems after they are isolated, and THEN find my coolant leak, to fix that. AGH!

I'm going to take a nap.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Got back from the trip, and after a overdose of Red Dead Redemption 2 on my brother's PS4, i am addicted to Spaghetti Western music, again.

The last time i had this, of course, started when i watched the Dollars trilogy. Now i think i'll play some High Noon Drifter to make it even better.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Well, I got it fixed for now. We will find out if there is still a coolant leak, but at the very least I was able to isolate the two systems (power steering has its own little radiator now, it doesn't share the main radiator with the engine coolant anymore.)
Spoiler:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:
Captain J wrote:I just miss the ol' days with silly plain-as-vanilla doom. That's all.
Since when is vanilla dead? Maybe it's not so popular here but there's no shortage of new vanilla and Boom projects over at Doomworld.
I'm not saying it's DEAD... Heavens no. Of course it's not. I mean the time, the era when i hop on board the Doom Community and the Game Doom itself. I used to play Doom without any mod nor map pack installed and that's all.

Anyhoo, thanks to anyone who replied me recently. Makes me think a lot. Y'all do care about me!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Watched "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" yesterday, since my wife said she never did. She still prefers "The Pest" with John Leguizamo, which is kinda similar in theory =p
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Well. My fucking Focus is broken and possibly being junked. I can't afford this or a new car, and I can't deliver in my freakin' TransAm. I don't care anymore. I'm done. I'm so fucking done with this shit.

Return to “Off-Topic”