Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shadowman

Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

The developer tandem (Big Memka and Shadowman) brings to your attention a new project, which has been under development since 2016. The main developer now is Big Memka, and the project has 18 maps.
The Ascension is the direct heir of Inquisitor III. A modified RPG system, which was developed for the first time for The Inquisitor III, is used.
The world of Khorus needs a hero once more! You have been summoned to this world to fulfill your destiny. Only you can decide how the great prophecy will take its course. But, in order to deal with the fate of the world, you need to master powerful weapons and magic, and for that you will need to regularly increase your character attributes. Therefore, search for teachers all over the world — they will be willing to help you for a certain price.

The game will need a GZDoom 4-3-3 or higher. In the menu, configure the necessary keys to call the quest journal, the statistics screen and defensive magic.
By default,
J button - quest journal,
P - shows hero's characteristics,
M - opens menu with defensive spells,
T - casts chosen defensive spell.
L - show land map.
The dialogs are now controlled by the cursor keys ("Forward" / "Back"), the activation of the selected answer - by the Use key (Use). English and Russian versions are available. Change the language in the settings menu. You can change the language during the game repeatedly. The default language is English.
The manual contains a detailed description of the characteristics of the player, as well as monsters, useful items and artifacts.
Screenshots are here:
https://d.radikal.ru/d39/2003/6d/e9f9226cc761.png
https://b.radikal.ru/b06/2003/b9/53df54d1c843.png
more screens:
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens01.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens02.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens03.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens04.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens05.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens06.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens07.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens08.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens09.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... cens10.jpg

Updated to a version 1.3.1
- Added a new map with a new quest
- Most of the trees and some other sprite objects are replaced with 3D models
- various bugs fixed
New screenshots:
https://i.postimg.cc/265R2W4Q/Screensho ... 134756.png
https://i.postimg.cc/FR6qpBFv/Screensho ... 134837.png
https://i.postimg.cc/Z0tQtvyD/Screensho ... 135213.png
https://i.postimg.cc/8kJPG86h/Screensho ... 135247.png

Updated to a version 1.4
- various bugs fixed
Have a nice game!
Download Ascension v.1.4 from Google.drive
Last edited by Shadowman on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:22 am, edited 18 times in total.
John Stalvern

Re: Ascension (Demo) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by John Stalvern »

The screenshots look very impressive. I'm a big fan of Inquisitor III, so this is a great start to the new year!

EDIT- I am at the Temple now. Great atmosphere and gameplay, looking forward to more!
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

John Stalvern wrote:The screenshots look very impressive. I'm a big fan of Inquisitor III, so this is a great start to the new year!

EDIT- I am at the Temple now. Great atmosphere and gameplay, looking forward to more!
How do you assess the changes compared with Inquisitor 3 (dialogues, rpg-stats)?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This Looks promising:)
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Went through the DEMO in UV. I think it's a bit too early to judge everything from the DEMO, but at least I can say IT'S PROMISING(as a fan of Inquisitor 3).

- I notice few stats were removed from there. Possibly merged with other stats. I'm taking this positively at the moment.
- With current gears and spells available, I wasn't really sure which stats to spend, so I had about 2-3 skill points unspent.
- I think Wood Staff could receive a bit longer range with a trade off of much weaker damage per hit or maybe less damage bonus from Strength, in order to distinguish other melee weapons. Alt-fire spell could make it totally different too!
- There are few texts still in Russian or not displayed at all, such as dialog options in Observation Note, or missing key popup in third map.
- The maps are gorgeous and big like Inquisitor 3!
John Stalvern

Post by John Stalvern »

Shadowman wrote:
John Stalvern wrote:The screenshots look very impressive. I'm a big fan of Inquisitor III, so this is a great start to the new year!

How do you assess the changes compared with Inquisitor 3 (dialogues, rpg-stats)?
The menus and the controls for dialogues are much improved. The character screen you bring up with P looks great and is much more readable than the old text overlay.

I'm glad you did away with vitality, I feel like there are too many stats to try to develop at once. I never end up playing a spell caster because strength and dexterity feel too important to basic survival.

I found stat advancement a little odd- the first time I gained a level after leaving the mansion I had to backtrack a long way. I am concerned that at later times I won't want to spend all my gold on advancement, but I don't know what you have planned.

I was grateful for the healing pool in the Lower Temple. In Inquisitor III I had to backtrack to Tristan all the time in order to buy flasks and armor. I'm hoping this won't be quite so frequent in Ascension.

I liked the difficulty balance with the enemies. Skeletons and plant monsters killed me most often. I played on the default difficulty and felt that the encounters were well balanced. I put almost all my points into strength and dex, except for a few points in intelligence I added at the end (although the demo ended shortly thereafter).

I wish the controls screen let you hotkey specific inventory items.

Looking great so far!
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Toyoch wrote: - I think Wood Staff could receive a bit longer range with a trade off of much weaker damage per hit or maybe less damage bonus from Strength, in order to distinguish other melee weapons. Alt-fire spell could make it totally different too!
- There are few texts still in Russian or not displayed at all, such as dialog options in Observation Note, or missing key popup in third map.
It's a good idea about staff, we take it into account )
I find a small Russian text only in Observation note ("Далее" instead of "Next"). Thanks. But where is "missing key popup in third map"?
John Stalvern wrote: I am concerned that at later times I won't want to spend all my gold on advancement, but I don't know what you have planned.
In Ascension, raising skills requires training for a fee, but we will try to give the player more money so that he can spend it on other necessary things.
And guild membership can give a discount on training :)
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Shadowman wrote: And guild membership can give a discount on training :)
Wow! There will be a lot more things than I ever expected :)
Played the demo, send you a little report. Nice one, no major bugs tho, good old music, good old Inquisitor vibe! Looking forward to the release.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Shadowman wrote: I find a small Russian text only in Observation note ("Далее" instead of "Next"). Thanks. But where is "missing key popup in third map"?
It's in the final map(of the DEMO). If you try to use some gold keyholes(ones in second floor leading to the walls) without the key, the voice plays and you see the dialog but no texts inside that dialog.
Deimos_X

Post by Deimos_X »

Hey, seems like good stuff! Could you guys upload it to alternative space, ya-disk is not working for me.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Deimos_X wrote:Hey, seems like good stuff! Could you guys upload it to alternative space, ya-disk is not working for me.
Add a second link (from Big Memka). See the topic start.
Toyoch wrote:If you try to use some gold keyholes(ones in second floor leading to the walls) without the key, the voice plays and you see the dialog but no texts inside that dialog
Thanks, we'll fix it.
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Yess! Loved Inquisitor III. Played the demo for a long stretch and looks super promising. Keep up the good job!
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Hello, I played the demo for Ascension, and as others have said before, it really show a lot of potential. I'd like to share my thoughts about it.

The good:

+Really cool semi-open world
+Feels like Daggerfall and Hexen had a love child, which is nice
+Really neat dialog interface
+Skill checks, for doors and scrolls. That's a good touch
+Use of 3d features, water to swim in, crawl spaces, and the like
+Journals and signs to read
+Nifty fantasy vibe
+Some really neat sprites. I especially liked the bandit archer
+Interesting plot
+Well made stat and journal interface

The bad:

-Sometimes it's easy to get lost
-Raising attributes only at vendors seems restrictive
-Really low jumping height (without high dex, I assume)
-A few minor grammar issues

Suggestions:

*More spells, make a spellcaster playthrough viable
*Let players raise attributes on their own, but instead have skills that can only be trained. Stuff such as melee, utility, ranged, spellcasting, things that let the character specialize on the type of skills they want to use, and depend on attributes to be raised. As an example, having the melee skill determine damage with melee weapons, and be dependent on strength to be raised (like, you can't have 15 melee if you don't have 15 strength at least)
*Starting gear: Let the player choose, Hexen style, the type of character they want to start as. Use the same sprite, but change the stuff that appears where the wooden staff is. For example, if the player wants to start as an archer, spawn a crossbow and some arrows, and give them a small bonus to dexterity
*More weapons and spells, because that's always cool
*Use the Hexen 2 sound for mana; this is a personal matter really, it just sounds better to me

Really hope to see this project keep going forward. It's always nice seeing a quality fantasy mod being developed.

Edit: As a side note, unrelated, I hadn't heard about the Inquisitor series. Currently playing the third chapter, damn it's amazing.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Hello, I played the demo for Ascension, and as others have said before, it really show a lot of potential. I'd like to share my thoughts about it.

The good:

+Really cool semi-open world
+Feels like Daggerfall and Hexen had a love child, which is nice
+Really neat dialog interface
+Skill checks, for doors and scrolls. That's a good touch
+Use of 3d features, water to swim in, crawl spaces, and the like
+Journals and signs to read
+Nifty fantasy vibe
+Some really neat sprites. I especially liked the bandit archer
+Interesting plot
+Well made stat and journal interface

The bad:

-Sometimes it's easy to get lost
-Raising attributes only at vendors seems restrictive
-Really low jumping height (without high dex, I assume)
-A few minor grammar issues

Suggestions:

*More spells, make a spellcaster playthrough viable
*Let players raise attributes on their own, but instead have skills that can only be trained. Stuff such as melee, utility, ranged, spellcasting, things that let the character specialize on the type of skills they want to use, and depend on attributes to be raised. As an example, having the melee skill determine damage with melee weapons, and be dependent on strength to be raised (like, you can't have 15 melee if you don't have 15 strength at least)
*Starting gear: Let the player choose, Hexen style, the type of character they want to start as. Use the same sprite, but change the stuff that appears where the wooden staff is. For example, if the player wants to start as an archer, spawn a crossbow and some arrows, and give them a small bonus to dexterity
*More weapons and spells, because that's always cool
*Use the Hexen 2 sound for mana; this is a personal matter really, it just sounds better to me

Really hope to see this project keep going forward. It's always nice seeing a quality fantasy mod being developed.

Edit: As a side note, unrelated, I hadn't heard about the Inquisitor series. Currently playing the third chapter, damn it's amazing.

Thank you all for the feedback!
We continue to work on the project. And your feedback helps us find the new ideas!

"Sometimes it's easy to get lost" - for this we will use different for major and minor missions markers on the mini map.

"Really low jumping height (without high dex, I assume)" - yes, dexterity affects jumping height. Also high dexterity will allow to get into some secret areas!

"More spells, make a spellcaster playthrough viable" - this is only a demo. In the full version will be much more spells and weapons.

"Let players raise attributes on their own, but instead have skills that can only be trained. Stuff such as melee, utility, ranged, spellcasting, things that let the character specialize on the type of skills they want to use, and depend on attributes to be raised. As an example, having the melee skill determine damage with melee weapons, and be dependent on strength to be raised (like, you can't have 15 melee if you don't have 15 strength at least)" - increase skills both in Diablo? We have increased skills will be like Gothic.

"Starting gear" - the player will have the right to develop in any way. Why make restrictions? At first they will give him all the original weapons. And he will use the weapon he likes. And develop the skills that will be more useful to him.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Isn't it beautiful?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”