Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Total Chaos 1.0 Released!

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

what mods can this be run with?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Went through NG+, just finished it a few minutes ago. Here's my thoughts on the updates:
Spoiler:
Last edited by ZikShadow on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

thedeathrunner123 wrote:what mods can this be run with?
Itself.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:Download Total Chaos at ModDB (Standalone version, UPDATE 1.00.0)
Comes bundled with GZDoom. No doom2.wad requirement.
Is there a mod version somewhere or what do I need to launch if I want the standalone to be a mod?
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Wad'a'Holic wrote:Download Total Chaos at ModDB (Standalone version, UPDATE 1.00.0)
Comes bundled with GZDoom. No doom2.wad requirement.
Is there a mod version somewhere or what do I need to launch if I want the standalone to be a mod?
If you download the standalone version, take out the totalchaos.pk3 file under gamedata\ and use that to run the mod separately from the standalone launcher.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Would it be possible to have the pistol clips stack? They take up a bit of space in the inventory.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks kindly :)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I wonder, would you be willing to write a short tutorial on how to achieve the smooth model movement and rotation that can be seen in your TC? I am having trouble getting a system like this to work.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available

Post by Kroc »

I'm getting really tiny UI on the Retro edition! (see health/stamina bars and quickslots)
My screen is 1366x768. Changing `uiscale` doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?
Total Chaos RETRO small UI
Total Chaos RETRO small UI
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Tried to load Retro Editor on macOS. Unfortunately, I got errors pretty common to Apple's strict OpenGL compiler:

Code: Select all

Execution could not continue.
Compile Shader 'shaders/old.fp':
ERROR: 0:15: Invalid call of undeclared identifier 'texture2D'
ERROR: 0:39: Invalid call of undeclared identifier 'texture2D'
A correct Core Profile shader should use texture() function instead of texture2D().

The first map, Arrival, has the following issue

Unknown type 20517 at (8846.2, -2313.5)
Screenshot_Doom_20181226_123524.jpg
Am I missing something?
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Cherno wrote:I wonder, would you be willing to write a short tutorial on how to achieve the smooth model movement and rotation that can be seen in your TC? I am having trouble getting a system like this to work.
Might be worth checking out the source code when its released, but here is a segment from the post-mortem I wrote:
"when a monster spawns in, it is invisible. Completely un-rendered. The invisible monster would then spawn a dummy on top of it which would render the 3D model and sync up the current state of the ‘real’ monster actor. The dummy actor would then be told through ACS scripting to interpolate its position and rotation to the real actor."

Kroc wrote:I'm getting really tiny UI on the Retro edition! (see health/stamina bars and quickslots)
My screen is 1366x768. Changing `uiscale` doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?
Screenshot_Doom_20181224_213133.jpg
It appears top be correct, its a problem with the hud itself being too small, I'll see if I can work in an alternative hud in the near future.

_mental_ wrote:Tried to load Retro Editor on macOS. Unfortunately, I got errors pretty common to Apple's strict OpenGL compiler:

A correct Core Profile shader should use texture() function instead of texture2D().

Am I missing something?
The unknown type error shouldn't have anything to do with the execution issue.
Sadly I'm not too sure what can be done about it other than removing the shaders entirely from the Total Chaos pk3, since I have never tried running this on a Mac.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:The unknown type error shouldn't have anything to do with the execution issue.
I didn't say that they are related.

To resolve the first issue it would be nice to fix the shader.
For the second one, either remove the mentioned thing or add its proper definition to DECORATE. I guess editor number is missing for some actor.
Wad'a'Holic wrote:Sadly I'm not too sure what can be done about it other than removing the shaders entirely from the Total Chaos pk3, since I have never tried running this on a Mac.
Like I said, replace texture2D with texture in that shader to make it Core Profile compatible.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:
_mental_ wrote:Tried to load Retro Editor on macOS. Unfortunately, I got errors pretty common to Apple's strict OpenGL compiler:

Am I missing something?
The unknown type error shouldn't have anything to do with the execution issue.
Sadly I'm not too sure what can be done about it other than removing the shaders entirely from the Total Chaos pk3, since I have never tried running this on a Mac.
_mental_ wrote:A correct Core Profile shader should use texture() function instead of texture2D().
Simply replace all instances of "texture2D" in the shaders with "texture"
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

_mental_ wrote:
Wad'a'Holic wrote:The unknown type error shouldn't have anything to do with the execution issue.
I didn't say that they are related.

To resolve the first issue it would be nice to fix the shader.
For the second one, either remove the mentioned thing or add its proper definition to DECORATE. I guess editor number is missing for some actor.
Wad'a'Holic wrote:Sadly I'm not too sure what can be done about it other than removing the shaders entirely from the Total Chaos pk3, since I have never tried running this on a Mac.
Like I said, replace texture2D with texture in that shader to make it Core Profile compatible.
My apologies, dont know how I missed that. I'll give it a try.
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

The mod itself is a peace of work, really cool concept and fun to play for the must part. I specially loved Retro Edition, but I noticed there are a lot of missing textures in the late chapters.

The inventory is cool, but the weight mechanic is a little bit unbalanced and needs to be fixed. There is also some interactions between quickslots and weight that can glitch the amount of weight you are carrying, switching to a specific weapong will add weight.

There RNG feels akward, monsters only drop food items, boxes never drop ammo or metal parts for weapons. There are some stuff that you find too late and feels underwhelming compared with staff already have (nailgun).

Some weapons are pointless to craft, after some tests, I never crafted again anything but Pickaxe or Axe, Knife and hook are super good weapons, but the rest of the melee roster is underwhelming, specially the Bat, which is waaaay heavier than the pickaxe, does less damage and breaks easier, and also is a rare pick up.

Shells have weight, but every other bullet haven't, except for the pistol... Not sure if that was intentional.

Enemies are easy to deal in general (not you stalker, I had to either avoid you or use the wall to make you explode), so you end up with more items than you can carry, or there are too many consumables drops, or the hunger metter drops to slow when you do not dash. Also if for some reason you didn't finish enemies, or some script sequence make spawn enemies behind a door you need to open to change the map, enemies can hit you when the screen still black, that can lead in some cheap deaths.

NG+ Is a little bit missleading, since NG+ in other games let's you carry your stats/gear from previous walkthroughs into new one. This should be called Hard mode (or Nuts), as far as I love a good challege, I got discouraged to keep up with this mode. The Hunter is a noble idea, but there are waaaaaay to many enemies, avoiding them is completly RNG based and you get swarmed constantly. I kinda like the idea but it is waaay over the top.

I really loved the ride both in DC and DC retro.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”