[Mini Mod] Fallout 666 Mash Up (Alpha 0.6 - update Jan.03)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
willkuer

[Mini Mod] Fallout 666 Mash Up (Alpha 0.6 - update Jan.03)

Post by willkuer »

As teased in the Spriting Carnival thread: Here's a very early test version of my Fallout mash up. Just wanted to get this out of the system to gather some opinions, maybe technical advice, etc.

Tested with GZDOOM 3.5.0 and DOOM2.WAD

Info:
  • AltFire starts/stops V.A.T.S.
  • User1 lobs a plasma grenade
  • Used weapon slots: 2-7
  • No "replace" yet
  • No pickups yet - player starts with the weapon set in inventory
  • Basically no nothing yet except for guns'n'effects ;)
DOWNLOAD:
Alpha 0.6
https://www.mediafire.com/file/656m1p2o ... 6.pk3/file

Old versions:
Spoiler:
VIDEOS:
Spoiler:
Cheers & have fun! :)
Last edited by willkuer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ahpiox

Re: [Mini Mod]Fallout 666 Mash Up (Alpha 0.5)

Post by Ahpiox »

Oh, finally. Wait some feedback

====
Mod is nice. Weapons from Fallout, kinda-VATS and even stealth mechanics.
And there is a things that i don't like:
- Rifle fire sound is kinda "hollow", it's should be more powerful, imo.
- Doom weapons NOT replaced, it is you can still pickup chainsaw or shotgun etc.
- Plasma Gun feels plastic, add some more recoil
- Gun effects, like smoke, flames etc, spawns on the same height even when crouching.
Last edited by Ahpiox on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Is VATS going to be expanded to be more like fallout, or is it more just a slow down effect? Either way, I think the player movement speed should remain consistent with the slowdown, otherwise it's basically just using the "freeze" command. Also, shooting should probably cost more AP, otherwise there's really no reason to ever leave vats, and then you're just shooting at mostly frozen enemies for the entire game
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Trusty McLegit wrote:Is VATS going to be expanded to be more like fallout, or is it more just a slow down effect? Either way, I think the player movement speed should remain consistent with the slowdown, otherwise it's basically just using the "freeze" command. Also, shooting should probably cost more AP, otherwise there's really no reason to ever leave vats, and then you're just shooting at mostly frozen enemies for the entire game
True. It's basically just the basic setup now. Player movement speed should be slowed down too and AP costs should also vary depending on the weapon fired. Also the crouch-to-stealth is half arsed right now (muzzle flashes and projectile spawns aren't aligned to the camera).
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Ahpiox wrote:Oh, finally. Wait some feedback

====
Mod is nice. Weapons from Fallout, kinda-VATS and even stealth mechanics.
And there is a things that i don't like:
- Rifle fire sound is kinda "hollow", it's should be more powerful, imo.
- Doom weapons NOT replaced, it is you can still pickup chainsaw or shotgun etc.
- Plasma Gun feels plastic, add some more recoil
- Gun effects, like smoke, flames etc, spawns on the same height even when crouching.
Noted and agreed. Thanks for taking the time to go over it! :)
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Here are some sounds that could prove useful to you: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category: ... udio_files click the triple dot button to download them.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

a silly nitpick, not the end of the world tho

having a front view weapon with the rest sideview is a bit of a stylistic clash
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Gorman Frebmane wrote:Here are some sounds that could prove useful to you: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category: ... udio_files click the triple dot button to download them.
I used the sounds form there already, but thanks for the hint! ;)
chronoteeth wrote:a silly nitpick, not the end of the world tho
having a front view weapon with the rest sideview is a bit of a stylistic clash
Yeah, I know. Don't have a good pistol sprite yet. Replaced it with a 10mm SMG for the time being - lacks ejected brass atm though.

Updated the OP with version 0.6 - some quick fixes are:
  • Muzzle smoke/flash and casings should be aligned with gun when crouched
  • Gattling Laser and Plasma Rifle now have metal hands because I'm toying with the idea of having a light and heavy player class (Power Armor)
  • Plasma Rifle now beefier
  • Added Plasma Grenade ammo and ammo count on HUD
  • AP cost of firing and moving in V.A.T.S. adjusted and player now moves slower
Don't know what melee weapons I want yet. I want the whole thing to basically work as a Doom weapon replacement mod with V.A.T.S. as gimmick (still need a replacement for the Super Shotty for Doom2 of course).

Question to the swarm intelligence:
I'd like to translate the enemies to a green tint (like vanilla night vision) while in V.A.T.S.: Any ideas how I could achieve that without touching the monster code at all, so the mod stays monster pack compatible?
Whoah

Re: [Mini Mod] Fallout 666 Mash Up (Alpha 0.6 - update Jan.0

Post by Whoah »

This is a really cool mod! I'm definitely behind the idea of a power armor class. Really looking forward to seeing this get updated
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Whoop whoopsies i forgot to check this mod out. Sorry, and i'm gonna play this soon and prepare my thoughts. Nice mod!
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

It could use VATS targetting and some more guns as well, and maybe have the guns replace the other doom guns instead of starting with all of them.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Alright. Just played this and this is promising and great! I do expect for even more guns from the game, including classic ones like 1, 2 and tactics!

Some problems i having right now are Gatling Laser with inferior Fire Rate, Grenade without any sound effect except the explosion one, and the speed of bullets. They're kinda slow and seem to be projectile-based, just like Marathon. Oh, also why Fat Man has unlimited ammo? Intentional?

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Plasma Rifle and Gatling Laser has... Power Armor hand sprites? I guess they're supposed to be only accessible with Power Armor on?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Don't forget to add headshots and start the player off with just That Gun and maybe a melee weapon. Replace the chainsaw, there's nothing for it either.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

EddieMann wrote:It could use VATS targetting and some more guns as well, and maybe have the guns replace the other doom guns instead of starting with all of them.
VATS targeting is probably beyond my skills :/
I'll try to do some more iconic guns and of course they will replace the Doom weapons. For testing purposes I always start with this setup just FYI ;)
EddieMann wrote:Don't forget to add headshots and start the player off with just That Gun and maybe a melee weapon. Replace the chainsaw, there's nothing for it either.
Melee weapons, same as above. As soon as I have time ;) Head shots are in thanks to Mikk-'s ZScript :D Thanks for the hint/link!
(Pro tip for people who want to implement ZScripts with EventHandlers: Declare your ZScript version at the top, e.g. version "3.3". Had me scratching my head until I stumbled upon Matt's Wiki entry: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript_Hello_World)
Captain J wrote:Alright. Just played this and this is promising and great! I do expect for even more guns from the game, including classic ones like 1, 2 and tactics!

Some problems i having right now are Gatling Laser with inferior Fire Rate, Grenade without any sound effect except the explosion one, and the speed of bullets. They're kinda slow and seem to be projectile-based, just like Marathon. Oh, also why Fat Man has unlimited ammo? Intentional?

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Plasma Rifle and Gatling Laser has... Power Armor hand sprites? I guess they're supposed to be only accessible with Power Armor on?
  • Still playing with fire rates and adding sounds as I go ;)
  • Bullets ARE projectile based as a consequence of having them slow down during VATS. Doubled the speed already.
  • Fatman will NOT have infinite ammo of course :D
  • Power Armor is a consideration - maybe a powerup, maybe a pickup, dunno yet.
Thanks for testing! Cheers guys!

EDIT: I forgot: Next update, probably weekend ;)
LOLANONIMUS

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hi, I wonder if the mod could work for doom touch, not delta touch, could it not?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”