Textures Flickering

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
ReaperAA
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Textures Flickering

Post by ReaperAA »

Hi Devs, I just tried GZdoom 3.7.0 and while I am overall liking the improvements and enhanced performance, I have noticed that in some cases I see texture flickering. I noticed this initially in Extermination Day's Map-13, but it is not limited to extermination day. I also noticed this bug to a lesser extent in Hexen Deathkings. This flicker stops after a 1-2 seconds and doesn't happen again in that area though it can happen again when in a new area of the map.

I am using a laptop with both a dedicated GPU (Radeon 530) and a integrated GPU (intel UHD 620). Texture flickering only happens when using integrated GPU (However i don't want to use AMD dedicated GPU because I get much worse performance with it).

My Specs:
- Dell Inspiron 5570
- Win 10 64-bit (build 17134)
- BIOS 1.0.4
- 4GB ram
- Intel core i5-8250U
- Intel UHD 620 (integrated GPU)
- AMD Radeon 530 (dedicated GPU)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Textures Flickering

Post by Graf Zahl »

This sounds more like a driver bug, if it only happens on the Intel GPU? Have you updated to the latest driver version?
ReaperAA

Post by ReaperAA »

It does seem like a intel GPU driver bug. I'll see if there are updates for the driver and then try. I will inform soon
ReaperAA

Post by ReaperAA »

OK, so it seems like I could be trouble. I went here:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/pk/en ... op/drivers

And found out the latest version of Intel HD drivers supported by Inspiron 5570 is (23.20.16.4973 ,A05) which is already installed in my comp. I hope I am not out of luck here, am I?

And BTW how is Vulkan support coming up (Vulkan would mean I could finally use my AMD card).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

ReaperAA wrote: And BTW how is Vulkan support coming up (Vulkan would mean I could finally use my AMD card).

Not much progress so far. The main problem is that before this becomes an option an alternative render path needs to be created that performs a lot less commands that need to be placed into the command buffer. With how things work currently it'd just be too slow.

Why can't you use OpenGL on your AMD anyway? If it supports Vulkan, OpenGL should be fine, and normally faster than the Intel.
ReaperAA

Post by ReaperAA »

Graf Zahl wrote: Why can't you use OpenGL on your AMD anyway? If it supports Vulkan, OpenGL should be fine, and normally faster than the Intel.
One would assume that the dedicated GPU would always perform better than the integrated GPU, but this is not my case. The AMD card performs better on DirectX/Vulkan games but when it comes to OpenGL, its performance is usually worse than the iGPU.

Its not just GZdoom that performs worse, I also get worse performance with Quakespasm, UT99's OpenGL renderer, EDGE, Yamagi Quake 2 etc.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's a bit puzzling. I always assumed that AMD's drivers would be better than Intel's...
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It once was that way.

To be fair, though, the GPU's themselves (sans drivers) are still faster, and not by any short mile either.
ReaperAA

Post by ReaperAA »

Rachael wrote:To be fair, though, the GPU's themselves (sans drivers) are still faster, and not by any short mile either.
This. I should've just gone with a laptop with a Nvidia GPU (their opengl drivers are far better than AMD's crap drivers)
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

I'm getting this too on my Dell tablet I primarily use to play doom on. Thought the shader cache had something to do with this but thankfully not.
Noticed all the flickering straight away after I upgraded from v3.6.0 to v3.7.2 and launched into BTSX map01 w/ LegenDoom/DRPG (excluding DRPG didn't fix it, hah).

Tested appveyor builds from each commit made after v3.6.0 and found the changes made to hw_lightbuffer.h in this commit: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... bfda75960a is causing the issue.
Downloaded v3.7.2 source and compiled me a build with the changes to hw_lightbuffer.h reverted and found the flickering fixed.

Interestingly the issue did not occur when I loaded BTSX with no mods.
I wondered if perhaps the mods shaders required changes but then I rememebered this doesn't happen on my NVIDIA PC, so, hmm.

My tablet specs:
Dell Latitude 7175
Core m5 6y57
4 GB RAM
HD Graphics 515 (OpenGL 4.5, driver 25.20.100.6519)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Reverting that change just hides the real problem. I thought it was fixed.

Return to “OpenGL Renderer Bugs”