A quick tech question regarding optical discs

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
scalliano

A quick tech question regarding optical discs

Post by scalliano »

Guys,

I'm a little bit worried, to be fair - I recently got my hands on a physical PS4 copy of Hellblade and was all set on getting wired into it as an early start my New year's resolution of beating at least one game a month. However, when I put the disc in the drive I was greeted with a disturbingly loud vibrating noise. Now, I'm aware of the OG Ps4's horizontal balancing issues, but even with the left side propped up, the noise persisted. The vibration itself felt rather more violent than normal too. Now, the vibration would quieten whenever I weighed the console down or shifted it, but nothing would mitigate it properly. The weird thing is that all of the other discs I've tried are fine.

So after exhausting everything I could think of I had a look around Reddit and such places, and one guy had stated that a flawed disc can be the issue. So I examined the disc closely and I could see that at least the label appeard to be printed slightly off-center. What I would like to know is, given that Blu-Ray drives can hit some major speeds at full tilt, could this be the issue?

Any insight anyone can give here would be greatly appreciated.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: A quick tech question regarding optical discs

Post by Graf Zahl »

This definitely sounds like a bad disc. With the speeds they rotate at the slightest imbalance will create vibrations.
With CDs, DVDs or BluRays this is relatively rare, but 20+ years ago I was collecting LaserDiscs and those, being rather heavy, showed such issues far more frequently. They didn't rotate at such high speeds, though.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, seems likely. I've had a few CDs that behave a bit like this. It's not very obvious in a 1x music drive but in a high speed data drive, a slight imbalance can cause quite a lot of vibration and noise.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yeah, off-centered sticker on CD can make a huge noise. Encounetered this long time ago, I thought the dvd drive is about to explode. But the disc survived. Never used this one disc again.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Thanks guys - shipped the game back to Amazon for a replacement today. i just hope the shaking hasn't done permanent damage to my PS4 ...

Return to “Off-Topic”