Converting a Blender camera animation to DEC/ZScript states

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Converting a Blender camera animation to DEC/ZScript states

Post by Nash »

A long-ass time ago, I proposed the idea of a workflow to animate a camera in Blender and have a script spew out DECORATE (and now ZScript) code for you to copy and paste. The idea was an artist-driven solution that would allow you to create completely organic camera animations, using a set of tools specifically tailored for such tasks, and in the fraction of the time than the traditional "type everything in DECORATE manually while mentally figuring out the angles for every state".

Despite all the nay-saying back there, I've finally achieved it. Well, a huge part of it, at least.

Notice how all angles are animated here: angle, pitch, roll. And it works relative to whatever direction the player is facing, too. Notice how it also cleanly returns you back to your original angle before the attack was executed. AKA it just works.

The animation was done in less than a minute in Blender. I have purposely exaggerated the movements here and of course if I'd spend more time on the animation (and make it more subtle and realistic perhaps), it would look better in-game, but the point is, this script already works.

The script generated a 183-line long (technically 366 lines in total; there are 2 animations here, left and right) ZScript file that I could NOT have possibly done by hand while still maintaining my sanity AND making it look very organic. Check this out:
Spoiler:
So currently, this only does angles (angle, pitch, roll). I want it to do position too (X, Y and Z) so that you can animate your camera in Blender and it'll generate some commands to move actors about in the map (therefore simulating walking - no path nodes needed). So you could compose a full cutscene in Blender (not unlike those seen in Half-Life 2 or Dying Light) and with 1 click, have it auto-generated for you. Once I figure the movement part out, I'll release this script.
neoworm

Re: Converting a Blender camera animation to DEC/ZScript sta

Post by neoworm »

I suppose it will be compatible with your's tilt script? I tried to add roll to weapon animations some time ago and coudn't make it work.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

This may be the coolest thing I've seen in a very long time. Great work!
Nash

Post by Nash »

neoworm wrote:I suppose it will be compatible with your's tilt script? I tried to add roll to weapon animations some time ago and coudn't make it work.
Yes. I've recently updated Tilt++ to call A_SetRoll in such a way that it will never overwrite previous tilt values. And therefore, this Blender script I am talking about in the OP also uses similar technique of setting roll additively. So everything can be combined.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I always thought Doom was missing my crosshair constantly swinging around so I couldn't land a hit. Nice touch.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I think that for such script you need to know on what distance, from the vertex of the cone of view, blender and gzdoom render images.
Or "teach" gzdoom spherical geometry and use it, without help of other programs, for such effects.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You are Crazy :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's impressive - and once again Nash does something really cunning with the game - but who waves their head around like that when trying to hit something? People who miss the thing their trying to hit, that's who. ;)
gramps

Post by gramps »

Clearly he's holding that crowbar-wielding severed hand in his teeth ;)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Some more progress...

Yes, the camera animation is exaggerated. This is just meant to clearly show the results. In a proper production, the animation would be done more carefully.

Here's where I am right now with what I am now going to name GZAnimTools. These will be a set of tools that allow one to author camera animations, and - newly added - weapon sprite animations in Blender.

- It utilizes the in-progress submission by MajorCooke to rotate and scale the weapon sprite at run-time.
- It can do camera animation, and weapon sprite animation
- Weapon sprites can have multiple layers. In the example animation, the shotgun and the muzzle flash are placed on two separate layers in Blender. GZAnimTools will generate separate overlay scripts for you.

Here's what the generated ZScript looks like:

GZAnimTools is being used in a couple of currently-in-progress GZDoom TCs and will be released after said projects have been released.

(And no, the animations won't be as bumpy as what I'm showing here. I say again, that these were hastily-done examples to show what's possible with it. If I made the animations too subtle, it would be difficult to see what's going on in these tiny animated GIFs)

Return to “Off-Topic”