Star Wars Fan Film Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Re: Star Wars Fan Film Thread

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:I have no doubt he would've. His performance in other scenes is great, but this line is so bad you can see his "are you shitting me" just below the surface. I have to wonder how many takes he burned through before this one was good enough. :lol:
Very reminiscent of Harison Ford having difficulty with "may the force be with you" in this scene. apparently it took many takes because Ford couldn't say it with a straight face.

Back to fan films, this is worth watching IMO.

ReX

Post by ReX »

Holy Smokes! A Light in the Darkness is phenomenal! It has everything - a plausible plot, good acting, (mostly) great production value, terrific music, etc. etc. [If there is one critique I can offer, it is that at times it seems too ambitious for an amateur effort. To wit, the scene in the third episode with the massive ore processing plant in the background didn't quite seem realistic.]

On a related note, how the heck do these people fund such projects? This one, alone, involved dozens of people, many of them clearly professionals. These projects are all not-for-profit, so they don't have an obvious path to recouping their investment.
ReX

Post by ReX »

And now for some comic relief [skip to 6:45 for the good parts; plus an excellent cameo from the usual suspect at 9:46]:

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Far as I know, most fanfilms are funded purely out-of-pocket by volunteers. Maybe some take donations but they have to be careful legally. Need a bunch of Stormtroopers? There's probably a division of the 501st Legion near you willing to cosplay for a few hours in exchange for pizza. Sets? Call your uncle who's a carpenter and pay him in beer. Special effects? The kid down the street with a pirated copy of After Effects and too much time on his hands. That's why a lot of these fanfilms take YEARS to complete what would be a one-week production for a professional crew.

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ReX wrote:And now for some comic relief [skip to 6:45 for the good parts; plus an excellent cameo from the usual suspect at 9:46]:

Good quality stuff.

Alternate ending:
ReX

Post by ReX »

@Caligari87: Yes, your explanation makes a lot of sense. I'm glad that so many people are motivated by the joy of creating something they love (not unlike what happens in the DooM community), and not just by fame & fortune.

@Nigel: That is an excellent alternative ending! I had seen a link to it on YouTube, but I got distracted (indubitably by some other shiny object) and missed watching that one.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Didn't see this one in here yet; this one's legendary.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I mentioned it in my first post in this thread but, for some reason, the YouTube link failed, so it just looks like a black rectangle.

[edit]And I can now see the problem was a typo with the video code number in my post: fixed [/edit]

It is indeed legendary and it is quite possibly the first real, good quality Star Wars fan film.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Another couple that I quite enjoyed.

This one is quite low-key, but I really like it.
Days Past

This actually ties Ep4 and Ep5 together quite well.
Smuggler's Run
IdaPitt

Post by IdaPitt »

Of course, fan films can not be compared with global film versions. These are completely different things. But among the fan films there are some pretty good ones too. In addition, it is always interesting how people with a small budget and minimal experience in shooting films make interesting things.

Return to “Off-Topic”