Request: Sprites/Model for Star Wars AT-AT

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReX

Request: Sprites/Model for Star Wars AT-AT

Post by ReX »

Has anyone come across sprites or a model for the All Terrain Armored Transport? Ideally, it would also have the DECORATE/ZScript definitions.
Enjay

Re: Request: Sprites/Model for Star Wars AT-AT

Post by Enjay »

The problem with AT-ATs is that they are huge; IMO, too huge for sprites to work well at a scale-realistic size. They haven't really even appeared properly in most of the official Star Wars FPS games (possibly because of their size). From memory, there are a few broken bits of them lying around in a level or two of Jedi Academy.

I did have a model but it was a long time ago and I lost it when my HD crashed a couple of years back. I don't recall where I got it.

Do you need it to be an actual, walking, fully functioning model or do you just plan on using it as scenery?
ReX

Post by ReX »

Enjay wrote:The problem with AT-ATs is that they are huge; IMO, too huge for sprites to work well at a scale-realistic size. They haven't really even appeared properly in most of the official Star Wars FPS games (possibly because of their size). From memory, there are a few broken bits of them lying around in a level or two of Jedi Academy.

Yes, they are very large actors. And I now understand the visual limitation of using them as enemies.
I did have a model but it was a long time ago and I lost it when my HD crashed a couple of years back. I don't recall where I got it.
Ouch! But yes, a model would serve better than sprites in-game. However, using a model for this one enemy would be at visual odds with sprites for the other enemies.
Do you need it to be an actual, walking, fully functioning model or do you just plan on using it as scenery?
My hope was to have a fully-functioning actor, not just an item of scenery.

A suitable alternative would be the All Terrain Scout Transport or the AT-ST Mark III.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There's an AT-ST model in Jedi Academy that should be convertible to a GZDoom compat format with a bit of work.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Enjay wrote:... with a bit of work.
And there's the rub. I don't want to ask anyone to do the work on my behalf, but on the other hand I lack the modeling/DECORATE skills for such a task.

If I can obtain a model in .mdl format I have the tools to create the sprites, but then I'll need help with creating the definitions.

At any rate, this is not something I need any time soon. I'm taking a longer-term view of some ideas swirling around in the vast emptiness of my mind.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you can wait a bit, I can do it. I think the model is in the GLM format which has a separate GLA animation file. Noesis can put them together as an MD3 (I've done it before for other models). I'd also have to track down the skin files. They will be in folders in the game resource files somewhere. There may, or may not, also be a bit of further tweaking required.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm... well, that was a bit easier than expected. I haven't done any DECORATE or anything for it, but the model is now GZDoom compatible.

It currently has 272 frames, but most of those are wobbling and falling over. The walking cycle is much shorter (about 40 frames). Do you want the model "as is" or do you want me to put together some DECORATE (etc) for it? (Can't do that today.)

Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Rex, what are you up to? :)
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I have a .mdl of what I think is Jedi Knight 1's ATST from a Half-Life mod. Could be useful for an alternative.

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It looks slightly lower detail/poly, and the legs seem shorter too - neither of which are necessarily a problem when trying to use it in a game like Doom (and may even be an advantage).

I don't have one but an AT-PT model might be even more suited to Doom proportion-wise.

ReX

Post by ReX »

@Enjay & ZikShadow: Those look terrific! Both, the AT-ST and AT-PT would work very well for what I have in mind.

@Dan/T667: I'm taking a long view at a project that you'd likely be interested in (as a player, at least).
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Here's the model I spoke of, if you're interested in that one.
Attachments
atat.7z
(170.7 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
gramps

Post by gramps »

Interesting article here:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-e ... 0-6419468/

Looks like some decent models in the later titles.

Had forgotten about some of these early games... that arcade machine and 2600 cart both felt ahead of their time. Somehow missed the NES title. SNES mode 7 battle was pretty fun though. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Seeing as how ZikShadow has posted his model, I'll hold off doing anything with my one. It's currently in MD3 format and ready to be DECORATEd and MODELDEFed but if it's not needed...

However, if you just want to look at it in Noesis or some other model viewer:
http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/Models/atst.zip

gramps wrote:Looks like some decent models in the later titles.
The biggest problem (for me) is either not having the game in question or not having a model viewer/converter that can read models specific to that game. :?
ReX

Post by ReX »

@ZikShadow & Nigel: Many thanks for the models.

@gramps: That's a very well-written & interesting article. Thanks.

Return to “Requests”