[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
YukesVonFaust

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by YukesVonFaust »

DenisBelmondo wrote:Image

Wolf3D TC of Castlevania when
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

WHAT IS A DOOM MOD? A BRILLIANT CORNUCOPIA FULL OF... well, STUFF!
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

The MAC port of Wolfenstein had a bit of an interesting philosophy going on: Have sprites that are twice the resolution, but at the cost of no rotations, and drastically reduced frame count. Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing, so I decided to try my hand at doing this Hellrazer from Doom '16 (loosely based on the chaingunner animations) just to see how hard it would be and well, it is a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable. This is only an experiment of course, I don't plan on doing much more of this (maaaaaybe the Doom '16 former humans and Imps, but no promises!)
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:The MAC port of Wolfenstein had a bit of an interesting philosophy going on: Have sprites that are twice the resolution, but at the cost of no rotations, and drastically reduced frame count. Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing, so I decided to try my hand at doing this Hellrazer from Doom '16 (loosely based on the chaingunner animations) just to see how hard it would be and well, it is a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable. This is only an experiment of course, I don't plan on doing much more of this (maaaaaybe the Doom '16 former humans and Imps, but no promises!)
wow you made a hellrazer turn into a b u f f b o i
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:Image
from hellrazer to hellwave-motion-cannon
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing...
While your sprite looks cool (and it really does), I can't agree that single angle sprites work particularly well, even in single player. As soon as they try to walk at an angle or, worse yet, away from you, things start to get weird. And if they can in-fight, it gets even weirder with enemies apparently facing you and firing at you but their shots going somewhere else entirely.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:The MAC port of Wolfenstein had a bit of an interesting philosophy going on: Have sprites that are twice the resolution, but at the cost of no rotations, and drastically reduced frame count. Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing, so I decided to try my hand at doing this Hellrazer from Doom '16 (loosely based on the chaingunner animations) just to see how hard it would be and well, it is a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable. This is only an experiment of course, I don't plan on doing much more of this (maaaaaybe the Doom '16 former humans and Imps, but no promises!)
SUPER BADASS!! Looks so super detailed and just like original design- Superb work!
Gez

Post by Gez »

YukesVonFaust wrote:wow you made a hellrazer turn into a b u f f b o i
Remember that in-game it'd be vertically stretched 20%. Raw sprites are always thicc.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Welite

Post by Welite »

Here's a rough draft of the gloves from the HL2 mod Underhell :
Attachments
uh hands.png
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

[https://i.imgur.com/K0wbUEn.gif/img]
Whens the full set?
Im interested
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Enjay wrote:As soon as they try to walk at an angle or, worse yet, away from you, things start to get weird. And if they can in-fight, it gets even weirder with enemies apparently facing you and firing at you but their shots going somewhere else entirely.
That's completely fair, I think I'm more so used to it because I've played so much of those Wolfenstein mods that use the Mac sprites. Mmhh, Doom does have infighting though, as you mentioned, which would be a problem if I used these for anything. Infighting does look really off without proper rotations.
ThrashfanBert1994 wrote: Whens the full set?
Im interested
I've finished the attack frames and did 2 out of 3 death frames. The pain frame is also complete, but I wanna polish it as it looks kinda bland right now.
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Welite wrote:Here's a rough draft of the gloves from the HL2 mod Underhell :
I like this. I think it's absolutely well done. It is probably the neatest looking set of gloves I've seen.
Welite

Post by Welite »

NeonLights95 wrote:
Welite wrote:Here's a rough draft of the gloves from the HL2 mod Underhell :
I like this. I think it's absolutely well done. It is probably the neatest looking set of gloves I've seen.
Cheers :D I might do a full set of these, they're really easy to do.

The arm part is literally a recoloured version of the "Plasma" filter in GIMP, it's quite lazy on my part :P
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

nam and wwii gi's destructive devices, the bazooka, the law and flamethrower, widescreened and unhanded. and with a deactivated law as a bonus. also, here's some more wwii gii weapons, reload sprites and magazines freed from the shitty dn3dsleeve edits, and a drum mag version of the thompson.
Attachments
unhand me.png
layinthelaw.png

Return to “General”