[WIP] Wolfenstein 3D HQ Sprites

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] Wolfenstein 3D HQ Sprites

Post by Captain J »

Now his death animation looks fluid. And excellent to see you again! I guess we are now back on track? :D
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Maybe. I took a hiatus because I was working on a side-project that I was hoping to turn into a kickstarter, but I stopped that for now until I figure out what I'm actually trying to do, because I'm stuck in a recursive polish/fix loop, so I may need to pull in an outside moderator to keep me in check and get it done.
Also, I'm dealing with personal issues right now, trying to address a water system pressure problem, won't go into that.

But, its hard for me to work on this or any serious time-consuming projects without some kind of financial incentive. Not that I won't, but I'm a husband and have a 2 year old son, so everything becomes about money faster than you can expect. Financially we are stable, but you always need MORE money :P I will probably work on this more, but I'm may set up a patreon for donations.

Also, as a side-note, at work I've been doing a lot of machine learning stuff, so as an experiment I was trying to train a neural net on the wolf3d conversions. First tests weren't too bad, but results were still a little less than desirable. I had tested with only the bj sprites. Then I tried adding in the mutant sprites and, I think because of the overwhelming amount of mutant data, it heavily altered the results so that they were much worse. I'm thinking I'm probably going to need to train it on everything, and make sure they are all lined up. This would help because it would add in the extra folds and what not, and give better results than say waifu or something else that was trained on anime pictures.

Sorry about all the rambling, but sometimes its good t just dump.

Anyway, further things I'd like to do with this project in no particular order:

# clean up the dog
# add the rottweiller and the doberman
# do shooting, attacking, and damage rotations
# Do rotations of the bosses, fake hitler, possibly borrowing some from the wolf rotations that are out there (though no offense to the guy that did that work, which is excellent, I'll probably redo much of the walking animations as the angled ones are a bit stiff)
# Do lost episode enemies/bosses rotations
# put the best of everything together into a single package, and get them other palettes

far future:
#blake stone???

I won't necessarily do all of them myself as I've seen others working on things, but I think bitbucket is too foreign of a resource to keep using that for submissions, so I may put together some other site just for this. I want something like realm667 for this project.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I see... That's very interesting to hear! Regardless, i'm glad you're back on track, while learning something that you haven't! I hope everything goes alright and quick for ya. You'll need it! Also Congratulations for being a proud father of the family! And yeah, i get the money crisis as well. It's very tormenting when you don't have a job just because it's somewhat very hard to find... But i do believe in ya. You're doing great!

... And Blake Stone, you say? BLOODY BRILLIANT! I just can't wait until it's about to begin- :D
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

Ringman wrote:and the missing schabbs death frame

I also added his pocket back in
I love you
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Here's a rough in progress version of the angel of death at an angle. I figured he'd be the hardest so might as well get him out of the way.

The more I've studied him the more he is starting to look like a demonic red flying monkey.
Attachments
AOD.gif
AOD.gif (19.18 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Not bad. Not bad at all! And i see you're using Heretic's Weredragon sprite as a base, hmm? Because i can see that!
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

As a start yes, but the final version will probably be pretty different. I figured it was a good base to start with, though I'm on a hunt for a better one.
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

Reactor wrote:I never understood why the targeting scout was left out of the Death Knight's hi-res Mac sprite. Sure it's not a must-have, but nevertheless, it made the Death Knight look even mode badass.

"TOD IST MEIN LEBEN!!!"
The Jaguar version only had 2 walking frames, and the other 2 were mirrored, so both sides had to be identical. Some sprites are still mirrored in the Mac version, like the Hans Grosse.
CeeJay wrote:Yea, but Trans looks a little "palette-raped".

Something like this. Though it still don't look quite right to me.
I would recommend changing the palette, not doing it for every sprite.
Ringman wrote:Yeah, I know its been AGES since I posted on this, but I actually got around to finishing the bj running sprites.

BJ's face in the sprite is the same as the SS soldiers, so I suggest re-using it on the Mac sprites too.
Ringman wrote:and the missing schabbs death frame

I also added his pocket back in

The blood looks a bit low-quality. Can you post the layers separated?
Ringman wrote:Here's a rough in progress version of the angel of death at an angle. I figured he'd be the hardest so might as well get him out of the way.

The more I've studied him the more he is starting to look like a demonic red flying monkey.

Good job on the pose. But I think you will have to break the 128x128 limit because of the curved instance plus tail.
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Agreed about schabbs. I recently saw the blood on his coat in action, and its a bit jumpy, so I'll probably go back and redo it. Or did you mean the blood in the death sprite? The blood in the death sprite animates just fine, in my opinion, but I could make the one on the knee geyser up a bit.

As for the BJ face being the same as the ss comment, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that in the pc one that the ss's face looks like BJ's face and I should use this BJ face for the SS instead of the face that was actually used for the Mac version, or the other way around? Personally I don't think BJs face looks anything like the SS's in the mac version, but I can certainly see similarities in the PC version.

How does this look for schabb's walking animation? I cleaned up the blood spazzing a bit.
schabbs.gif
schabbs.gif (15.62 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
And heres the death animation in case that was your concern
schabbsdie.gif
schabbsdie.gif (14.82 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

I meant both, the blood on the shirt and the death frames. Plenty of the sprites in the Mac version have obviously unfinished dying sprites (i.e. Hitler), but the good ones have a slightly different style.
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Sounds fair. What changes do you suggest? And do his walking frames look ok now?
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

The style of the blood on the shirt should match the bloody walls. They aren't far off, but there are some smaller particles.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/lcOSyQA.png[/imgur]

For the dying frames, these are a good reference:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/1hMqArb.png[/imgur]
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

Which frames in the death animation are problematic? The one I added, or Id's original frames? I'm hesitant to redo all of ids death frames for an animation that only lasts a few seconds. Even if it gets shown twice with the death cam, unless people really think the blood is that bad looking. To be honest, I think the hitler death frames need to be cleaned up more than Schabbs, as they barely did anything but resize them.
I can add more splatter to the lab coat, but it could make it harder to prevent "jitteriness".
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

how's dis

as an added bonus:

i'm redoing the purple stone walls i did two years ago. just have to add shit slime.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Eeeeey feels so much great to see you here, Denis! And that grey-colored stone texture looks promising. Now it doesn't look like Fictional-Space-Nazi-Artifact anymore!

Return to “Resources”