[RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] ME

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC]

Post by phantombeta »

Gerardo194 wrote:Great! I see now! I also set Rendering Quality in Quality and the switches in map 2 look stretched and map 3 looks the same way like your screenshot. It also happens in other maps. Do you always play Doom using Rendering Quality in Quality mode?

About the shotgun...that's the GZDoom P Random which causes this, you can also notice Super Shotgun is stronger than usual, killing Hell Knights and Mancubi with two shots. We will see what happens with this bugs and get them fixed for next update.
You know these things happens, specially when my brother do all the programing work for two projects, this and PSXDoom Master Edition for Play Station. Thanks for your support!
Assuming the random damage should work like the original Doom's (that is, each pellet gets a different damage), that line is actually wrong. All the pellets will use the same damage, as it only calculates the value once - when the function is called. Probably why it feels too weak.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Now that you mention it, I'm aware that GZDoom has a different and more improved (pseudo)random number generator than vanilla Doom. For me at least, as long as the numbers are correct, I don't mind the damage output deviating from the original PSX/N64 Doom. Sure, it does change the gameplay, but it sort of counts as a bugfix. The original was limited in way that rolling some numbers was impossible and some to be rolled more likely than others. GZDooom AFAIK makes use of more than one RNG at the same time to better keep track of different things. It should ensure that all results are evenly distributed, more commonly known as a bell curve :D
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

phantombeta wrote:
Gerardo194 wrote:Great! I see now! I also set Rendering Quality in Quality and the switches in map 2 look stretched and map 3 looks the same way like your screenshot. It also happens in other maps. Do you always play Doom using Rendering Quality in Quality mode?

About the shotgun...that's the GZDoom P Random which causes this, you can also notice Super Shotgun is stronger than usual, killing Hell Knights and Mancubi with two shots. We will see what happens with this bugs and get them fixed for next update.
You know these things happens, specially when my brother do all the programing work for two projects, this and PSXDoom Master Edition for Play Station. Thanks for your support!
Assuming the random damage should work like the original Doom's (that is, each pellet gets a different damage), that line is actually wrong. All the pellets will use the same damage, as it only calculates the value once - when the function is called. Probably why it feels too weak.
Hmmm, you go too fast, bro. It's this modified GZDoom port that has this weird issue. Our earlier versions didn't had this issue. We must check this up and get it fixed. I noticed this before publishing it but we decided to leave it like that.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

@phantombeta

Is this because of the FBF_NORANDOM flag? Else I dunno how it should look like.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

I misunderstood.
@phantombeta @DabbinSquidward, you are in the credits now for reporting this issues. Welcome
Erick194

Post by Erick194 »

the solution like this:

Code: Select all

SHT1 AAAAAA 0 A_FireBullets (SPREAD_XY, 0, 1, ((random (0, 3) << 2) + 4), "D64BulletPuff", FBF_USEAMMO | FBF_NORANDOM)
SHT1 A 4 A_FireBullets (SPREAD_XY, 0, 1, ((random (0, 3) << 2) + 4), "D64BulletPuff", FBF_USEAMMO | FBF_NORANDOM)
since this is the damage formula for the shotgun,the same would be for the super shotgun and for psxdoom as well.thanks for the bug report.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Any plans to base this project on the latest versions of GZDoom? And yeah, it's a pleasure to play this TC.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Cacodemon345 wrote:Any plans to base this project on the latest versions of GZDoom? And yeah, it's a pleasure to play this TC.
Well, since the source was made available, it's only a matter of time and motivation for someone to implement this into the main line.
Elyos03

Post by Elyos03 »

For some reason I can't hear any music on the Title Screen and the Menu Screen on PSX Doom, but in PSX Final Doom, I can.

Update: I guess today's update fixed it.
Last edited by Elyos03 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

this is pretty cool. these are perhaps like the best recreations ever made into total conversions
Erick194

Post by Erick194 »

Hey guys, there's an update in the OP.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

the only thing I'd like to change if I could is to make the status bar widescreen, in the same manner the PSX Doom TC does, is there way I could manually do that or would it be something possible to add?

*edit

I just realised why, I thought for some reason that the game looked different, I was playing the initial version and that does use a couple of textures to fill in the blank gaps, but for some reason these are gone in the update. And I notice in the changelog you addressed this, but well for some reason they were there for me and the update actually made them gone.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

Cacodemon345 wrote:Any plans to base this project on the latest versions of GZDoom? And yeah, it's a pleasure to play this TC.
Let's hope so! Thank you very much! :D
Elyos03 wrote:For some reason I can't hear any music on the Title Screen and the Menu Screen on PSX Doom, but in PSX Final Doom, I can.

Update: I guess today's update fixed it.
Glad you could fixed it!
MrRumbleRoses wrote:this is pretty cool. these are perhaps like the best recreations ever made into total conversions
Thank you very much, we put all of our efforts there, more is coming soon! :D
hybridial wrote:the only thing I'd like to change if I could is to make the status bar widescreen, in the same manner the PSX Doom TC does, is there way I could manually do that or would it be something possible to add?

*edit

I just realised why, I thought for some reason that the game looked different, I was playing the initial version and that does use a couple of textures to fill in the blank gaps, but for some reason these are gone in the update. And I notice in the changelog you addressed this, but well for some reason they were there for me and the update actually made them gone.
I don't understand what you're trying to say, sorry! Maybe a couple of screenies can help me a bit.

Now I want to ask, have you guys encountered more bugs or glitches? This can be helpful to get them fixed in next update! 8-)
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

I don't think I was quite sure of what I wanted to say, but I basically refer to the black bars either side of the HUD.

https://ibb.co/6tDnKP5
https://ibb.co/2FQvvp9
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

hybridial wrote:I don't think I was quite sure of what I wanted to say, but I basically refer to the black bars either side of the HUD.

https://ibb.co/6tDnKP5
https://ibb.co/2FQvvp9
Oh, I see now. Actually those black bars aren't black bars at all, those are the green ones turned into dark blue.
Someone in Doomworld forums requested us that he would like to see black bars instead of the green ones just like the PSXDoom TC did, so we decided to give them a darker color. I don't know if you like this change we did.

By the way, next update will be running PSXDoom map format , yes, GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition will be running PSXDoom map format, the same maps included in your own PSXDoom CD. :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”