The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by Wivicer »

Incredible work as always. What mapset is that?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Looks like Neodoom - a vaccinated version, anyway.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Aaaaaand I didn't look at the video description. Thanks!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Super Congrats achieving the Cacoward 2018. You're indeed a still-shining starry star of the Doom Community. Any another clever ideas for doom mod? :D
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

Honestly, Pillowblaster should’ve won a Cacoward long ago if not already.
Consider it a positive Omen to the influence you have brought to the Doom community!
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

So guys we did it, Pillowblaster finally got the cacoaward!
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Super late to the party, but congratulations on Cacoward 2018 to PB and everyone who worked/works on this mod!
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

The game just crashed. I was shooting some archviles with the matriarch, holding the button down. I got low on health so I popped a gunzerk and I guess because I was holding fire something went wrong. Here's the log.

Edit: I updated to 3.6 and tested all the weapons. The matriarch is the only weapon affected and it's repeatable.
Attachments
bug.JPG
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Rowsol wrote:The game just crashed. I was shooting some archviles with the matriarch, holding the button down. I got low on health so I popped a gunzerk and I guess because I was holding fire something went wrong. Here's the log.

Edit: I updated to 3.6 and tested all the weapons. The matriarch is the only weapon affected and it's repeatable.
I remember this bug, I'm pretty sure the GC team is aware of this one (and it's probably been fixed long ago, you'll just have to wait for version 3.2), I remember discussing it via direct message. I should have posted this bug on the forums about 4 months back when I first encountered it. That's my bad.

I think the reason for this bug is that the array that's handling the offsets for the animation of the matriarch firing is incrementing out of bounds because when you activate gunzerk, Primary fire which is normally the weapon on the right hand side of the screen, becomes the weapon on the left hand side of the screen and now belongs to a different array which still has the same maximum boundary (10), but the array will increment as though it started from the beginning (means the array will go past 10 because it started at a number greater than 0.).

Fun fact: You can also abort the VM by activating gunzerk, firing first left then right (or vice versa) without letting them complete their animations and repeatedly press the strat switch button as fast as possible. This bug is a bit tricky to reproduce as it requires careful timing, but is repeatable.

A video of the abort in question:
Spoiler:
I think the team is also aware of this one (and also probably fixed for the upcoming version).
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

Congrats on the Cacoward and Happy New Year.

I know I mentioned this a few months back, but I randomly got the idea to try using the console to open the "Convienience Menu" in Strife with Guncaster 3.1. After a bunch of attempts, I got it to open through typing

openmenu conveniencemenu

When you click on the option from the menu, when it fails it gives the error message I think I mentioned a while back, "Attempting to open menu of unknown type 'ConvienienceMenu'". I seem to remember Pillow mentioning that he added a space or something and that fixed it, but maybe it being spelled differently, it looking for a menu with an extra "i" in the name, is why it doesn't work normally. At least I can play Strife with Guncaster with the settings I want now, though.
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

Congrats on the Cacoward as well, you really deserve it.

With recent versions of gzdoom (I build from git) I've however been getting issues, that I don't know are due to gzdoom's internals changing or legit bugs.

I had Doom2 + scythe + Guncaster loaded up, got to map 26 (pretty much a slaughtermap), fought along as I usually do.
But when I enabled the ancient tome, and used it with Thunderstruck and Flamewave the game froze, while spamming this in the logs.
I had to kill -9 gzdoom because it was pretty much hardlocked.

Code: Select all

P_StartScript: Unknown script "TracerDeathCheck"
Then, after I defeated a bunch of Cyberdemons I finally got the Draugh Tome. I attempted to equip the DraughSuit and the game just aborted with this after the animation ended. It didn't matter whether or not I enabled voidtouch right away or not.

It's probably due to changes to the gzdoom internals but nevertheless I thought I'd mention it nevertheless.

After updating to the currently latest git version ( g3.8pre-65-g3314a1efe - https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... f8847d7183 ) the problems still exist, although the line numbers differ just a bit.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Yeah, those got fixed recently or a while back on my side. We're working pretty hard to get 3.2 out of the way, and there's a bit of nice goodies or tweaks coming right up, so stay tuned~
fire238

Post by fire238 »

Hype!
PillowBlaster

Re: The Guncaster - 3.2

Post by PillowBlaster »

So, there it is. Took a while, but I think was worth all the sweat. I also recommend updating to gzdoom 3.7.2 to fix two particular bugs, one related to Draugh, the other related to the weapons running out of ammo. I only hope it didn't produce more bugs, cause I didn't test things thoroughly on new version yet and I did a ton of last-minute changes, but I'm sure it should have at least two things sorted out.

Am I done with it?... There's a thing or two that could be done yet. One of them is developed by Zhs2 which is a tough nut to break, so you fellas give him your energy, cause it's sadly out of my field of expertise. The other depends on being able to extend classes outside of the core file, and that's not something viable yet - I'd like to possibly add some more crap to addon, and that stuff is dependant on it (more importantly, I hope it will work out). Everything else I'll leave in even bigger shroud of mystery, but lest it be known - I am not done here yeet~

I also have RO update to roll out so stay tuned for that one now.

Core mod.
Addon. I know it should have some more original name than just "addon", but I didn't figure anything out, so... here you go.
Spoiler: Addon stuff and stuff
Spoiler: Changelog
Shill links cause I got reprimanded I should do that. I only post on forums when I deem it necessary, so if you wanna be up to date with my shenanigans or support them, here you go:
Twatter
Dumblr
Padre-on

Return to “Gameplay Mods”