Doom Model Project Releasing Source Files

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Tea Monster

Doom Model Project Releasing Source Files

Post by Tea Monster »

Hello, Tea Monster here from the DHMP.

Our models are created for the Doomsday port, but I thought I'd just announce that we have released our source files if anyone here wanted to port our models to GZdoom.

The sources include the Blender files (2.5-2.79) with the models and animations and diffuse/normal/gloss/specular maps that are currently compatible with Doomsday, but could be reverse-engineered to whatever format GZDoom uses. I know that GZDoom has recently implemented PBR textures. I don't mind supplying PBR textures for our models so you guys can use them.

All our models are of high quality and take advantage of the full next-gen workflow. Skins are usually supplied at 2048 pixels and can be resized down to whatever you guys use.

Neither KuriKai or myself have the time or the resources to port our pack over to GZDoom ourselves, but we are both quite willing to share our source files for those who are in a position to do so.

Link to the DHMP site: http://dhmp.hiriwa.com/

Some pictures of our models...

HAL9000

Re: Doom Model Project Releasing Source Files

Post by HAL9000 »

Excellent, models look really good, especially spider mastermind, but the animations are a bit...stiff...
Thanks for releasing source files, I will definitely check them out,and maybe tweak the animations...
Bookmarked
KuriKai

Post by KuriKai »

Feel free to improve on the model animations, make a fork of the project and make pull requests with your fixes. As a project needs to start somewhere. There is a lot to do with just two people.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

The first time I played jDoom with 3d models in 2009 I thought it was great and how wrong I was. Deleted them all a day after. I don't know why they just don't fit the game. Surprisingly, voxels do so much better! I don't think it's because they look boxy but because they use original "texture" style and fit the game as they were there for ages. Another reason is animation. Look at doom, it has maybe 4 frames for each move right? When these 4 frames are interpolated in 3d it looks SO awful that it would be better that no motion interpolation occured. Even if more frame keys were implemented to allow more sophisticated animation to the characters it's all going to stuck into another dead end - diversity. Look at modern Doom 2016 and particulary how demon behaves, it doesn't just run for a player trying to bite it all the time, there are just more behaviour models given to the world. So the satisfactory results only can be achieved by doing it all that I believe is impossible at this moment. So if we want a 3d model for doom 2 fitting the game well these things must be done:

- Using original art style, that will require making a model texture from a ground up using the original game sprites, possibly scaled up in a correct way, some modern sophisticated single image interpolation techniques can be used such as super-resolution GAN: https://letsenhance.io/ or https://github.com/tensorlayer/srgan. I use the former sometimes;

- The animation must replicate the original sprite frames as close as possible. Optionally, no movement interpolation should be given to it.
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

This project has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with voxels.
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

KuriKai has uploaded PBR metallic texture files for the Pinky Demon up to the Github repository.
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

PBR Chaingun model. We are still working on this, and haven't released yet.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/GGyD0Mw[/imgur]
gramps

Post by gramps »

That's awesome, thanks for releasing these!

DE was one of my favorites way back in the day, used to like playing with those 3D models :)

Return to “Resources”