ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
LossForWords

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by LossForWords »

GAA1992 wrote:I am full of ideas for a AVGN mod. I just hope nobody is ahead of me =p
one mod is a terrywad and the other's just a bunch of forgotten concepts, i'd say go right ahead :)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I almost forgot about it.
Yrvyne wrote:(I am not conversant with C++ language....)
You think that I a C++ senior?!
Yrvyne wrote:With regards to number 3, given that it would induce serious performance problems, can those items be blocked from spawning?
You see, problem is that this items spawn from actor state, which I cant change without directly changing actor using slade/notepad.

All I can do is iterate through ALL actors on the level if script detect that one, or more, monster die. This means that script must run to every single actor in the map and ask "is you inventory item? no, go to next actor; Yes, check distance to died monster, and if it smaller than died actor radius this is probably, JUST PROBABLY, item which actor spawned in it death sequence". And this is just to assume that some item was spawned by actor before do something with this item.
So if imp died close to blue armor/megasphere, script assume that this armor/megasphere was spawned by imp.And if script will delete items spawned by actor, bye bye blue armor/megasphere. There is a way around this, since items in CH, IIRC, after spawn have some vertical velocity, so script can check item velocity and if it greater than 0 only then manipulate with it. But there are too many assumptions to hope for this way.

Tomorrow I, probably, write updated version, if I find some time.
Yrvyne

Post by Yrvyne »

Apeirogon wrote: You think that I a C++ senior?!
:D :D :D ( I DO ! ) :D :D :D
Apeirogon wrote: All I can do is iterate through ALL actors on the level if script detect that one, or more, monster die. This means that script must run to every single actor in the map and ask "is you inventory item? no, go to next actor; Yes, check distance to died monster, and if it smaller than died actor radius this is probably, JUST PROBABLY, item which actor spawned in it death sequence". And this is just to assume that some item was spawned by actor before do something with this item.
So if imp died close to blue armor/megasphere, script assume that this armor/megasphere was spawned by imp.And if script will delete items spawned by actor, bye bye blue armor/megasphere. There is a way around this, since items in CH, IIRC, after spawn have some vertical velocity, so script can check item velocity and if it greater than 0 only then manipulate with it. But there are too many assumptions to hope for this way.
This is too complicated and I understand that it may probably break something. So, I think this is better left alone. However, thank you for proposing solutions.
Apeirogon wrote: Tomorrow I, probably, write updated version, if I find some time.
Cheers man, thank you very much. So we scrap idea number 3 but, man, I'm looking forward for ideas 1 and 2. Once again, thank you.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Updated version
fractal_mutation.pk3
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
While I tested, it reminded me an old, wanna-be horror movie, where some sort of ants try to devour entire city, which at the end was defeated by thermobaric weapon bombardment mighty foot.

There are still some bugs, like monsters which stucks on the air, but that flaw of gzdoom itself. This mostly happens to cyberdemon and mastermind, and I dont know this is actual bug or no.
Yrvyne

Post by Yrvyne »

YES
Spoiler:
Game freeze!
Can a limit be imposed on the spawned Lost Souls as this reduces gameplay to a glitchy halt.
As a matter of fact, there are almost 20K of these skulls and the respawn flag is off.
Spoiler:
THANK YOU!
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Too many screenshots; spoilered
Yrvyne

Post by Yrvyne »

FRACTAL GAMEPLAY

Sample gameplay with Brutal Doom (21 Beta), ColourfulHell, Fracatal Mutation and Disciples of Darkness mini-wad.

Slowdowns observed (timestamps)
03:41 (https://youtu.be/8cCbQmdjZow?t=221)
04:00 (https://youtu.be/8cCbQmdjZow?t=240)
05:36 (https://youtu.be/8cCbQmdjZow?t=336)

Disciples of Darkness download
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... nt-1729769
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Oh yes, I forgot to handle case of pain elementals and its lost souls...
Yrvyne

Post by Yrvyne »

@Apeirogon looking forward to the new patch. Even on beefed computers slowdown is noticeable.
Thank you once again.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Not something I am ever going to make, but it could be cool. :)
Sh4d0wS14d3

Post by Sh4d0wS14d3 »

A simple idea that I'm not too sure hasn't already been done comes from me playing coop games with a couple of friends while sv_norespawn is on. And, well - inevitably wiping on levels.

Something that'd detect the flag, detect if all the players have died (because that happens more often than I'd like), and reset the map after a timer (while checking that none of the players respawned somehow or somebody flipped the norespawn flag off) would be both something I expect would be easy to make, lightweight, and helpful for future coop games to come. Maybe a witty randomized comment or image fadein when it detects that either somebody or everybody died (Dark Souls: YOU DIED comes to mind, complete with sound effect.)

And something to make it more complicated would be something that resets what the players had - as if they loaded an autosave. Retrying some levels not designed for pistol start with, well - pistol start isn't the best of times.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

A discord post gave me this idea: Heredick, the H-Doom equivalent to Heretic.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

don't forget heXXXen
i have no pun for strife
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

comet1337 wrote:don't forget heXXXen
i have no pun for strife
stroke - quest for the pussygil
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Updated my journal it a little bit.
Now you can define some variables, like amount of descendants and its size, from a menu.
fractal_mutation 0.0.1.pk3
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
And also pain elementals dont spawn/spam you with lost souls. But that mostly plug than real solution to the problem.

All you answers here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63009
Last edited by Apeirogon on Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Apeirogon wrote:Updated my journal it a little bit.
If you're helping Yrvyne with putting together a project, then you guys might want to start a thread in the Projects forum and continue there. If it's not a project thing, then do that through PMs.

Let's keep this thread about discussing project ideas, not working on them.

Return to “General”