The Arcane Wanderer - Updated 05/12/19

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

The Arcane Wanderer - Updated 05/12/19

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Video By Doomenator:

Welcome again, to my... seventh(?) mod. This time, i am taking a try at mixing weapons and magic spells, something obviously inspired by mods such as Psychic, by Xaser, and mods with weapons that somewhat caught my attention lately. I hope you like it.
Spoiler: The Plot
Spoiler: The Game
Spoiler: The Weapons
Spoiler: The Credits
DOWNLOAD HERE!

As always, have fun!
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
ImpieTwo

Re: The Arcane Wanderer [Hexen/Heretic/Doom] - First release

Post by ImpieTwo »

This looks really neat. Downloading!
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Oh yes, it's new GAA1992 MOD!!
Imma download it.
Juste_ssgunner

Post by Juste_ssgunner »

man very good work ... I will prove it at this moment it looks great ....:D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

20th Century style meets Fantasy Genre? Gotta say, i love this mod already!... Well i haven't played it yet but i will. Congratulations on the release and i'm going to play this mod right away, and i'll see if i can reply you with some feedback.

EDIT: just played it and here you go!;

- Two-Handed Weapon sprites seems to be a bit held up, almost covering the screen.

- I see that Each Amulet has two spells. Would be less confusing if the Amulet sprite changes when switching the spell.

- Are there any Amulet that heals or regenerates your Mana? Sometimes i face the mana crisis and have to look around for some potions to heal my mana.

- Would be nice if Springfield M79's projectile travels more further. It's barely possible to defeat the Icon of Sin with this weapon.

- When i reload AK-47 with few ammo inside of it, i have to pull the bolt anyway. Would be nice if you can make the animation separated?

- Schyndros spell seems less powerful, and just spawns only one ice spike trap. The same thing goes to Krystactus spell as well.

And that's about it. Very impressive and clever idea with using plenty of magics to break through the levels. I honestly can't wait for more update. Keep it up!
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Oh nice, another mod thematically designed for Hexen.

I'm in love with Hexen as a game right now, so it'll be cool to have this extra "class" to play, but so far I've just tried it out in Heretic. Seems cool, if I come across any issues when I play it more, I'll let you know.

I will say I definitely like mods that try offer legitimate gameplay variation from the original games without going overboard, and this fits that mold quite well.
Nailz the Ravager
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Nailz the Ravager »

This is pure gold, my dude. I freakin' love that thing. Keep it up!
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Ah, so this is a weapons mod?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Obviously... Yeah.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

So far it does take some getting used to the new hud and controls. The fact that the options menu changes quite a bit threw me off. I'd rather just have the regular menus I know how to navigate, with a couple extras added for the mod.

Biggest complaint so far is my aim arcing upward when i fire my guns, the pistol in particular. It's kind of annoying on its own, but if you have players who prefer not to use freelook, they'll have to reset their view with every shot.

Really dig the mod though. I was testing it on my Dr Chaos maps for Heretic, since they're more or less set in the same period the protagonist seems to hail from. I love the idea that this can be played with any of the standard idtech games: really gives the impression that this guy travels across space and time.
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

Pretty good so far, the only complaint that i have is that the Grenade Launcher took me what felt like over 100 direct GL hits and a few pistol mags to take down a Cyberdemon, other then that, i have no other complaints so far.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Eggs wrote:Pretty good so far, the only complaint that i have is that the Grenade Launcher took me what felt like over 100 direct GL hits and a few pistol mags to take down a Cyberdemon, other then that, i have no other complaints so far.
Haven't tested the mod yet, but by default boss monsters (cyber- & spiderdemon) are immune to splash damage.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks for taking your time, everyone!
EddieMann wrote:Ah, so this is a weapons mod?
Yes, although the weapons aren't the main focus here; I know i usually code for the rock 'n' roll shooting and everything, but it was about time something in me wanted to do a mod with magic, guns and dirty hacks, a la Psychic =p
Captain J wrote: - I see that Each Amulet has two spells. Would be less confusing if the Amulet sprite changes when switching the spell.
You mean the HUD sprite displayed? One of the HUD options display the current spell selected, but i think it won't hurt to postion a "1" and "2" on ecah amulet as well.
Captain J wrote: - Are there any Amulet that heals or regenerates your Mana? Sometimes i face the mana crisis and have to look around for some potions to heal my mana.
Not... yet. I plan to add a optional regeneration ( i just would like it to be a slider to adjust the seconds for each mana point)
Captain J wrote: - Schyndros spell seems less powerful, and just spawns only one ice spike trap. The same thing goes to Krystactus spell as well.[/i]
Indeed, they are weaker than fire spells. But remember that Krystactus travels at double speed than Ignespheros and Schyndros has no time or quantity limit, so you can place many of these traps as you want =)
Captain J wrote: - Would be nice if Springfield M79's projectile travels more further. It's barely possible to defeat the Icon of Sin with this weapon.
- When i reload AK-47 with few ammo inside of it, i have to pull the bolt anyway. Would be nice if you can make the animation separated?
Will see about it. Thanks Cap!
ImpieTwo wrote:So far it does take some getting used to the new hud and controls. The fact that the options menu changes quite a bit threw me off. I'd rather just have the regular menus I know how to navigate, with a couple extras added for the mod.

Biggest complaint so far is my aim arcing upward when i fire my guns, the pistol in particular. It's kind of annoying on its own, but if you have players who prefer not to use freelook, they'll have to reset their view with every shot.
It is possible to turn Visual and Physical Recoil (weapons pushing you back) off in the "Extra" menu. =)
Eggs wrote:Pretty good so far, the only complaint that i have is that the Grenade Launcher took me what felt like over 100 direct GL hits and a few pistol mags to take down a Cyberdemon, other then that, i have no other complaints so far.
Buff GL and make projectile reach farther. Noted down ;)
DabbingSquidward wrote:Haven't tested the mod yet, but by default boss monsters (cyber- & spiderdemon) are immune to splash damage.
Oh yeah... i kinda... forgot that. /facepalm
ImpieTwo wrote: Really dig the mod though. I was testing it on my Dr Chaos maps for Heretic, since they're more or less set in the same period the protagonist seems to hail from. I love the idea that this can be played with any of the standard idtech games: really gives the impression that this guy travels across space and time.
NailZx128 wrote:This is pure gold, my dude. I freakin' love that thing. Keep it up!
hybridial wrote:Oh nice, another mod thematically designed for Hexen.

I'm in love with Hexen as a game right now, so it'll be cool to have this extra "class" to play, but so far I've just tried it out in Heretic. Seems cool, if I come across any issues when I play it more, I'll let you know.

I will say I definitely like mods that try offer legitimate gameplay variation from the original games without going overboard, and this fits that mold quite well.
Juste_ssgunner wrote:man very good work ... I will prove it at this moment it looks great ....:D
namsan wrote:Oh yes, it's new GAA1992 MOD!! Imma download it.
ImpieTwo wrote:This looks really neat. Downloading!
Thank you, everyone!
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Personally, I felt the spells were really underpowered for their immense mana cost, forcing me to fall back on weapons too often to even take out something like a Pinkie. I know that this isn't Guncaster, but with the basic fireball spell I found that sometimes Imps take only one hit, or they'll tank up to three with no real reason why. Its also hard to aim the bloody things, but that's probably just me being shit at the game

Also it may just me sucking at the game or me being stupid, but I cant for the life of me notice a difference when I pick up Omegaelixers. They say 25+ mana, but I dont see a difference when I pick it up, even if I get more mana right after
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Hey GAA, I've tried your modification and here are a few things that I would like to share with you

1.Weapons

In general, in my opinion, the weaponry is not bad but I think you should look at the pistol and shotgun in particular. Tokarev is a pretty cool alternative to the remaining weapons, however, I would stay with the classics and give a revolver and when it comes to the shotgun, the auto browing 5 is effective, however in my opinion it is terribly ugly and its appearance discouraged me from using it

2.Player Sprite

It's just that I want to change the sprite of the character, because it's just necessary here, unless we're playing Gustav Erikssen :P

3.Spells

Spells are generally ok but in my opinion you should give a little more mana at the start because in the beginning using other spells is sometimes too difficult but the rest is perfectly ok :wink:

As for the rest, I like the fact that there is the possibility of kicking opponents here, but I think you should add footsteps. By the way, what about the rest of the projects? Are you planning to return to Ultra Crispy?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”