Use of "Pickup:" state in pickup-only items (i.e Armour)

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

XLightningStormL

Use of "Pickup:" state in pickup-only items (i.e Armour)

Post by XLightningStormL »

Essentially the use of the Pickup actor state in AAPU items which typically include armours and powerups.

This system for example can be used to grant inventory items on pickup, so if picking up a Green Armour also gives me a seperate inventory item which when detected by a zscript script enables me to read its codex entry (a-la metadoom codex)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Use of "Pickup:" state in pickup-only items (i.e Armour)

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Pickup state is a relic from old DECORATE and no longer needed with ZScript.The entire CzustomInventory functionality is essentially deprecated by now. Don't expect any work to be done on this.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Here is the ZScript that is now responsible for the CI pickup state behaviour. It calls CallStateChain first before trying the more normal means of picking things up.

EDIT: Except that CallStateChain is a native code that is unique to CustomInventory. What would be the ZS equivalent of this?

EDIT: Given CallStateChain is still hard-coded to do everything in one tic I take it it's not actually capable of doing anything that a direct TryPickup override can't do better...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Matt wrote:Given CallStateChain is still hard-coded to do everything in one tic[/url] I take it it's not actually capable of doing anything that a direct TryPickup override can't do better...

Correct. That's why I consider the feature deprecated. It was nice to have when nothing better existed, but there is absolutely no point to expand on it anymore.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”