[Beta] Ozônia: 11 plutonish maps [+Feedback Appreciated!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deadwing

[Beta] Ozônia: 11 plutonish maps [+Feedback Appreciated!]

Post by Deadwing »

Ozônia is the third mapset of the Moonblood series, currently having 11 (E1+E2) carefully designed short maps, heavily inspired by the original Plutonia megawad. The levels are short (taking from 5 to 10 minutes to finish each), fairly challenging although enemy count is always small. These levels have been played only by myself, but hopefully you won't find any big bugs yet >.< Soundtrack is from Exomoon and Moonblood itself, but it'll change if I decide to make it a bigger release someday. The mapset has been tested on prBoom+ and ZDoom. It uses sky transfer linedef and some scrolling floors, so I think this is at least cl -11.

Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/t57dqb3s ... 3.zip/file

Hope you guys enjoy it! If possible, I would like to see some demos and/or playthroughs! :D
Many of the "new" textures are from the texture thread of the doomworld forum, which are all awesome!

Credits for the textures:
Spoiler:

Pics:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/f0lfWpj[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/BmjkOLR[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/NIqBgUN[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/21xUs9K[/imgur]
Last edited by Deadwing on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [Beta] Ozônia: 11 plutonish maps [+Feedback Appreciated!

Post by Kappes Buur »

Deadwing wrote: Pics:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/f0lfWpj.png[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/BmjkOLR.png[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/NIqBgUN.png[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/21xUs9K.png[/imgur]
Delete the .png and the pics will show
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Thanks a lot, Kappes! :)
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

I played the first map. It was pretty tough on UV, but still fair. Map 02 wasn't. I died right after the start and lost interest, pretty much like with the original Plutonia. So I guess, you did a perfect job here. :lol:

BTW, when you reach this point, you might get shot at by a chaingunner you just can't see, but somehow he can see you. I would suggest some minor change.
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Oh yeah, map 2 has a relatively tough start, so dying a few times might be expected. In any case, I've implemented difficulty settings in any case things gets too tough :)
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Running (away) seems to be the main strategy here. I'll have a look at it later.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Say, is this meant to be played 'old-style', with jumping and crouching deactivated, or not?

EDIT: Nevermind. I got enough clues by now telling me it is meant to be played with jumping and crouching deactivated.
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Oh yeah, it's meant to be disabled (at least for places where it could break the levels). :D
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Add a ZMAPINFO lump with this in it to turn off jumping, crouching, and freelooking in ZDoom ports:

Code: Select all

adddefaultmap
{
NoFreelook
NoJump
NoCrouch
}
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

I wouldn't disable freelooking, though.

My current progress: Map 05 finished. So far, the maps have been very well designed and just the right size. I find the simple ambushes (shotgunners and chaingunners mainly) extremely impressive, with the monsters being positioned and angled just the right way (the triggered traps are another story; I hate them, but I know it has to be like that).
I need around half an hour per map (not counting the additional time needed due to savescumming). Sometimes, I just don't bother fighting.

Minor map errors:
Walk to the right, and the walls won't open. (although they should, the linedefs are correctly tagged and such) (map 04)
You can hide behind this lamp and won't be hurt. (map 05)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Get Phobo wrote:I played the first map. It was pretty tough on UV, but still fair. Map 02 wasn't. I died right after the start and lost interest
Well...
Deadwing wrote: In any case, I've implemented difficulty settings in any case things gets too tough :)
I think this should be carefully read and understood by some people... :twisted:
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Deadwing wrote: In any case, I've implemented difficulty settings in any case things gets too tough :)
I think this should be carefully read and understood by some people... :twisted:
Yeah, right. Because there is no difference between an overall challenging gameplay and a completely unfair starting position that doesn't even make much sense from an architectural point of view.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Why on earth is the water in the later maps causing damage?
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! (especially Get Phobo!)

Some levels I decided to make water damaging to allow some more color variety through the wad. I also took that liberty because the original plutonia also had damaging water :mrgreen: I tried to warn the player, though, by placing a sign at the beginning of both levels (afair). Anyway, I didn't have much time lately, but I'll address the issues found in the next release :D
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Damn, you're right. There is damaging water in Plutonia. Argh.

Anyway, I noticed that you've made extensive use of sound-blocking lines. While this is not a problem in general, the way you set them up makes it possible to trick some of the acoustically-triggered monster hordes into staying where they are in a few cases, instead of actually triggering them.

The first room of map 06 is such an example. The cacos will only get after you if you step out of that room into the hallway and then shoot. If you instead walk out and take a walk around the hallway and its surroundings in order to lure the monsters to come after you, and you run back to the room and shoot while they stand in front of the room's entrance, you will not trigger the cacos. I actually managed to kill all the monsters that were able to make it to the room entrance in this manner.

But there is more to that. Walking up to the shotgunner who stands behind the railing and shooting him there will not trigger the cacos either.

There is also a sound trigger for revenants and cacos on map 03 on the way to the blue skullkey 'arena' that can be easily avoided. I only triggered them when I had to fight that one arch-vile down in the slough.

So, those details could be worked over a bit to make them more fail-safe (unless you wanted them to be like that).

Return to “Levels”