Paradise (3 maps + gameplay mod)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tango

Paradise (3 maps + gameplay mod)

Post by Tango »

This project has received a significant update in 2019. Please visit the link below for the new 2019 version that features over 2x as many maps:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... p-balance/

The original post for the 2018 version is in the spoiler below, if for some reason you want to play the old, outdated, inferior version.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Tango on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gideon020

Re: Paradise (3 maps + gameplay mod)

Post by Gideon020 »

This looks interesting, I'll give it a go and I'm always a sucker for interesting weapon mods.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Nice to see that you brought that work of yours from Doomworld to our neck of the woods :D
I still haven't registered there, so here comes a good opportunity to give some feedback:
-If the CVAR is true, Plasma Zombie clips contain 10 instead of 5 bullets (Use A_DropItem instead of A_SpawnItemEX?)
-Since the new Plasma Rifle has a clip size of 30, why not raise the amount you get from cells in accordance?
-Similar to the point above, you could reduce the amount of ammo from clips to 6 so it fits with the pistol and 24 instead of 20 for the assault rifle, so it's 50% of the clip size (without backpack) and chaingunners drop them with 12 rounds :)
Tango

Post by Tango »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Nice to see that you brought that work of yours from Doomworld to our neck of the woods :D
I still haven't registered there, so here comes a good opportunity to give some feedback:
-If the CVAR is true, Plasma Zombie clips contain 10 instead of 5 bullets (Use A_DropItem instead of A_SpawnItemEX?)
-Since the new Plasma Rifle has a clip size of 30, why not raise the amount you get from cells in accordance?
-Similar to the point above, you could reduce the amount of ammo from clips to 6 so it fits with the pistol and 24 instead of 20 for the assault rifle, so it's 50% of the clip size (without backpack) and chaingunners drop them with 12 rounds :)
cheers, thanks so much for the feedback mate :D

1) oops. do zombie clips only contain 5 bullets in vanilla? I didn't realize A_DropItem was a thing though, that is probably better to use here regardless of the 5 vs 10 issue
2 & 3) yeah these are great suggestions. I don't think I want to make any changes for the sake of these maps since I would have to rebalance the ammo, but this would be a really good thing for me to do moving forward with the gameplay mod, post-Paradise
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

As a rule of thumb, every weapon or ammo dropped by monsters always contains half the defined amount, if not explicably defined otherwise. So, for example a dropped shell box or cell would contain 10 ammo, a clip box 25 and a rocket box 2 (2.5 rounded down).

There's also the Ammo.DropAmount property & AmmoDropFactor setting in MAPINFO.
Tango

Post by Tango »

hot damn I had no idea D: I guess that would explain why I could never remember if clips were worth 5 or 10 bullets. thanks for letting me know though DabbingSquidward, I appreciate it :D (also apologies for the delayed response)

instead of using A_DropItem, I've stuck with A_SpawnItemEx but instead changed the drop from a bullet clip to a new "bullet half clip" item, which has 5 bullets instead of 10. looks the same visually but has an altered pickup message so that things are clear. will be uploading a hopefully final version with this change quite soon

edit: updated OP with beta 12, which is hopefully the final version. will probably upload to the idgames archive tomorrow
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Not meaning to be pedantic, but the TangoGreenArmor pickupmessage states it has an absorption of 30%, while it actually is 33% :D

At first I thought you changed the SavePercent to 30 as a nod to Quake, but then I got disappointed after finding out that the blue armor doesn't have 60 or 80 percent :P
Tango

Post by Tango »

hahah god damn DabbingSquidward!!! ah well. fixing now, will upload a final version momentarily. thanks for pointing it out :p

edit: okay, made the appropriate fix, and reuploaded. download link in OP has been adjusted. considering this the final version, will upload to the idgames archive shortly

edit edit: I've got the file open in SLADE, looking at the LANGUAGE lump, staring at 33%... but running that same file in game still shows 30%? very confused. is the LANGUAGE lump cached or something?? in any case, not a huge issue, still going to consider this the final release D:
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

It's because you have two LANGUAGE lumps, one in the pk3 and one inside the t-paradise-maps.wad. I assume the one in the maps wad loads last. That one still has the armor at 30%.
Tango

Post by Tango »

wowza I am a dummy. thanks for catching that EffinghamHuffnagel, very much appreciate it. I still haven't uploaded this to the archives so I'll make a small fix for that and then upload it to the archives, and will update the link in this thread as well when I have done so
ReX

Post by ReX »

Holy mackerel! Those screenshots are stunning! I must have been hibernating under a rock to have missed this. I will download and give it a whirl, as it looks incredibly promising.
Tango

Post by Tango »

haha thanks so much for the kind words Rex :D much appreciated!
ReX

Post by ReX »

ReX wrote:I will download and give it a whirl, as it looks incredibly promising.
I played through this mod and it was a blast (and I'm not just talking about the sound made by the Scrap Gun)!

I have written up a small review at DooM Nexus. But for those that can't be bothered to read it, here are excerpts:

".... intense levels that will keep you on your toes"
".... features plenty of new stuff: enemies, weapons, textures, music, sounds"
".... the game is visually appealing, encouraging exploration and frequent pauses to admire the breathtaking vistas and complexity of the structures"
The maps are ".... complex, non-linear masterpieces that loop around and have multiple intersecting paths and 'reveals' "
".... This mod deserves to be played more than once"

Three thumbs up.
Tango

Post by Tango »

haha you are too kind. replied on Doomworld already, but let me say again here, thanks so much for playing and writing about it ReX :D
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

On doomworld u can find newst version, with more maps and some changes, from 27mb to 40ishmb

Great stuff mate!

Return to “Levels”