Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Get Phobo

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by Get Phobo »

Universal Enhanced AI is definitely a mod worth using.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Jimmy Gnosis wrote:Might I suggest the Universal Enhanced AI mod by Josh771, as it not only makes enemies a little smarter but it also makes them less likely to see you when you're lurking in the shadows. It should just plug and play.
I dont know what that is but I was about to suggest some tweaks to the AI movement routine so that monsters dont end up piling up in the usual choke points. I was just playing the 2nd map and there's a bunch of cannibal things in a convenience store who were following the usual doom movement routine. Even though I was hobbling to get up on the trash cans in the alleyway and make it into the vent, despite the ill-eat-you activity sounds they wouldnt go the long way around to get to the door and pursue me to the alley.
Same deal with letting monsters in through the locked door, after they flood into the rooms I can just go back out the front door again and into the alley and they (blocked by that wall) will only scuffle about in the convenience store rather than following me.

Its very hard to try and come up with a fix for that but the one I found gets anywhere at all is to check at the end of every chase loop if the monster can see you, and if they cant then defer to a Wandering state and increase their speed. Inbetween every wandering frame check if they can see the target then (maybe) bump it back to Chase state (and return speed to normal). When you have massing going on with monsters this will push them around more evenly and cause some of them to scatter in all directions rather than be driven to the wall, which can divert them into other corridors and such.

(I dont know anything about the player/bot AI routines but those might be useful to invoke periodically too)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Jimmy Gnosis wrote:Might I suggest the Universal Enhanced AI mod by Josh771, as it not only makes enemies a little smarter but it also makes them less likely to see you when you're lurking in the shadows. It should just plug and play.

Anyways, I registered a new account just to post and tell you I love this game. I'm also the very same Captain Awesome who made/edited a couple of the Realm667 prefabs you used, if you ever need some help with graphics stuff shoot me a line. I'm a little busy these days but I really can't stress how much I love this game, and I'll do what I can for ya.

EDIT: I've been playing it a bit with Universal Enhanced AI and it seems to work just fine. Definitely makes the game a little harder though because enemies are alerted more easily and of course find you better and snitch on you to others. I've also been playing it with a few other mods that I think enhance the experience, just in case anyone else is interested.
Billboarder by Nash
SpriteShadow 1.6 by Nash
All Clear Message by Spaceman333
Hey, any time you could spare, I would be very appreciative. I'm currently looking for some more vegetation sprites such as swamp/dead plants, but anything weird and post-apocalyptic in nature would also be great! I really liked the roots and cow skull graphic you posted.

Yes, the enhanced AI patch by Josh does have some interesting effects, I actually tested it using Ashes. The best part is, is that the new version works fine with the scripted enemy vs enemy encounters, as well as some sections where enemies are specifically looking for you. Although gasbags tend to lose their shit if you wake one of them up and they are in a group. Haha. Gave me a nasty surprise.
RSSwizard wrote:I dont know what that is but I was about to suggest some tweaks to the AI movement routine so that monsters dont end up piling up in the usual choke points. I was just playing the 2nd map and there's a bunch of cannibal things in a convenience store who were following the usual doom movement routine. Even though I was hobbling to get up on the trash cans in the alleyway and make it into the vent, despite the ill-eat-you activity sounds they wouldnt go the long way around to get to the door and pursue me to the alley.
Same deal with letting monsters in through the locked door, after they flood into the rooms I can just go back out the front door again and into the alley and they (blocked by that wall) will only scuffle about in the convenience store rather than following me.

Its very hard to try and come up with a fix for that but the one I found gets anywhere at all is to check at the end of every chase loop if the monster can see you, and if they cant then defer to a Wandering state and increase their speed. Inbetween every wandering frame check if they can see the target then (maybe) bump it back to Chase state (and return speed to normal). When you have massing going on with monsters this will push them around more evenly and cause some of them to scatter in all directions rather than be driven to the wall, which can divert them into other corridors and such.

(I dont know anything about the player/bot AI routines but those might be useful to invoke periodically too)
Unfortunately, I can't do much with the pathfinding, as I don't really understand the language the engine uses when it comes to route selection. I have been thinking of some ways to make cannibals a bit harder to avoid with scenery items. Maybe give them a bit more mobility with regards to platforms, or some form of climbing/jumping. I don't want them to be quite as agile as the "trash hags" though. Maybe I just need to be a bit more clever with the level design. Hmm...
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Vostyok wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't do much with the pathfinding, as I don't really understand the language the engine uses when it comes to route selection. I have been thinking of some ways to make cannibals a bit harder to avoid with scenery items. Maybe give them a bit more mobility with regards to platforms, or some form of climbing/jumping. I don't want them to be quite as agile as the "trash hags" though. Maybe I just need to be a bit more clever with the level design. Hmm...
One trick I've found useful is monster blocking lines. You can use them to round off corners where monsters would normally wedge in and get stuck. It's not perfect obviously but it can help a great deal if used correctly.

Think of a monster like a bouncing ball that tends to move in the direction of the player. As long as there are no concave "traps", they will eventually get to you.
Osiris Kalev

Re: Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by Osiris Kalev »

So, I've been away from Doom for a good year (or several). Somehow I find this to be the first WAD I came across and wow, what a great start to getting back into Doom again.

Super solid levels, really great custom assets, neato custom hud. It all meshes together so well into a (in my opnion) really well constructed TC. Honestly, I'd say more, but really, I have nothing but praise and am looking forward to the next episode of maps. Really, well done with this!
Kindtorment

Post by Kindtorment »

I just wanted to let you know that with the update 1.15 there is an issue with gate doors rendering when using Softpoly or true color softpoly rendering. I attached a file with 3 screenshots. I have not seen anyone else bring up this issue and if anyone has noticed there is a fix. Just change your rendering mode from Softpoly. And thank you for a great mod and I can not wait till more comes out.
Attachments
SoftpolyIssue.jpg
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Hmm. You are saying this is an issue in 1.15. Was this a problem in 1.00? Like you said, no one has mentioned this before. I will some testing myself, but this might be something with GZdoom. If it is, I will raise a bug report or see if anyone else has had issues with this. But, I haven't done anything new with gate doors with the changes to 1.15, so it should be a problem in all versions.

Very odd. Had a quick glance at the wiki but haven't found anything about this yet.

Oh, also

@ReformedJoe
Thanks for the tip, buddy. I will try this out.

@Osiris Kalev
Haha glad you liked it. You should check out some of the other projects this year. ICARUSLIVES covers a lot of them on his youtube. And yeah, still working on Episode 2. Hopefully it will be a lot less ugly and broken than this release was haha :p
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Vostyok wrote:Hmm. You are saying this is an issue in 1.15. Was this a problem in 1.00? Like you said, no one has mentioned this before. I will some testing myself, but this might be something with GZdoom. If it is, I will raise a bug report or see if anyone else has had issues with this. But, I haven't done anything new with gate doors with the changes to 1.15, so it should be a problem in all versions.

Very odd. Had a quick glance at the wiki but haven't found anything about this yet.
I was messing around with the softpoly renderer and I noticed this as well. It seems to occur on polyobjects that consist of 2 sided linedefs. The objects are still blocking, and they seem to function just fine apart from being visually messed up. 1 sided linedef "solid" objects appear and work with 0 issues. I'm thinking its an issue with transparency or a midtexture offset thing? I don't know enough about softpoly to say for sure.

Some of the faulted objects I've looked at seem to have completely disappeared, others are visually garbled with their component linedefs flickering all over the place based on the angle you view them from :shrug:
Kindtorment

Post by Kindtorment »

Vostyok wrote:Hmm. You are saying this is an issue in 1.15. Was this a problem in 1.00? Like you said, no one has mentioned this before. I will some testing myself, but this might be something with GZdoom. If it is, I will raise a bug report or see if anyone else has had issues with this. But, I haven't done anything new with gate doors with the changes to 1.15, so it should be a problem in all versions.
:p
Yes, I played through all of 1.00 with this setting and to be honest that I have no idea why I set this as my render. this showed up when I updated to 1.15 and on GZdoom 3.6.0. Thank you for quick the response.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now now, i'd like to tell some of my feedback about this mod because i kept it hiding for long enough!

- Armor Shards are a little bit rare yet insufficient then Food items; Foods gives you multiple numbers of HP each portion, but Shards does not. Increasing the number of Shards might make your armor stay for a while.

- Pipebomb bounces way higher. I tried to gently drop it from below but it refused to be dropped gently and just bounced to the sky, missing the target. IMAO this thing still needs some fixing, if you ask me.
Ezepov

Post by Ezepov »

New title

DOWNLOAD
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

@ReformedJoe & KindTorrent: Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to rethink how I do my Duke-style skinny gates.

@Captain J: I'm thinking of doing something new with the Armor shards and pipebombs. Gzdoom doesn't seem to like grenade weapons much anyway.

@Ezepov: Thanks for that. I will send you a PM about something else I'm working on...
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

I wouldn't worry about the softpoly renderer thing. I think it's still in an experimental state, not worth hamstringing yourself over it.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Yeah, it seems the softpoly renderer just flatout doesn't render certain things, not just mapping.
TDG

Post by TDG »

I am currently trying out Ashes 2063 together with Ashes FAL and I have run into an bug I did not experience with previous version.
When I am at Highway Holocaust and I try to dismount the motorcycle the engine sounds continue and the character moves as if he is still on the bike while he is clearly not.
I also can not make him sit on the bike again.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”