Hearts of Demons - BARON [1.1.0] 7/29/22

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [Beta 11] 4/23/18 One Punch Bar

Post by eharper256 »

Yarp, that enchanted Belial is ear-rape on the video. I realise its chunkier now which is good (it was my least favourite before; if I needed Flak I would always use the Azazel) but personally still feel it could do with a very slightly quicker RoF than it has here.

I see rocket launcher enchanted seeking flames are still as OP as ever. XD

I'd say overall I like the new models but the basic green ball flinging animation looks a bit goofy with the hands meeting in the middle. I'd space their centre meeting point a bit, and also have the hands arc outwards a bit rather than running on a straight line so you get a sense of them being flung or flicked.

(i.e. Not ----------->, but curving outwards like an upside down J: /⁀ with the balls released at the high point)

The other spells look great. I especially look forward to the flamethrower; but the napalm blasts are cool too. Although when you're holding the charge blast ready and the flamethrower in the other hand, the one hand really looks much bigger than the other. Possibly just a trick on the eyes? Not sure.

Speaking of defiling... ever any chance we could auto-defile?

Also, my BaE Type 99 Autocannon looks even greater °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖° Though where is the siege mode you mentioned earlier in the thread? Thats the thing I was looking forwards to the most.

Overall, some exciting changes though, looking forwards to the new release.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Let's see here...

Belial RoF is so low because ita very much a point, click, the room now looks like its covered in stroganoff now. I doubt I'll raise its RoF. The flak revamp made it, and the flak mode on Azazel, much more powerful. Still, who knows, I tweak thngs constantly so it might get a slight RoF buff before release.

BB Spell Casting was the first animation done, so I'm not surprised it looks so janky compared to the rest. I'm gonna update it before release. Also, hand size weirdness is a perspective thing, tho I admit that doesnt translate well and it looks kinda awkward.

No auto Defile planned at this time, and I'm not warm to the idea either. Sorry.

Seige Mode is still in the works, don't worry, but sprites have been an issue. Our weapon spriter has been really busy IRL (hecc, the whole Baron team has been) and hasn't had time to work on Baron.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad that people are liking the new sprites. We've been worried a lot about how well they'd be received, so getting mostly postive feedback us a relief.
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

I'm wondering if the sound issues you were having were some sort of weird max volume cutoff? Anyway, I found a strange oddity in that CustomDoom's ammo regen functionality doesn't seem to work - not that I expect you to fix it, but it still seems odd, since it works with most every other mod I've tried.

Otherwise, absolutely loving it. Just wish we could get Bruiser sooner, but I'll deal.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I'm finding weapon slot #4 despite being under enchantment, isn't consuming mana. Also, while not strictly your mod, the gib system interacts very badly with Colourful Hell's black lost soul, the one that spawns hordes of bees. If you end up murdering a whole lot of them the game can easily turn into a slideshow. For reference the lesser bees are in decorate/lostsouls as actor BlackLSoul2 if you want to address that. I just turned the gibs off.

EDIT: Almost forgot to thank you while I'm at it! This is a quality mod and a ridiculous amount of fun to romp through the game with.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

CanisLaticanis wrote:I'm wondering if the sound issues you were having were some sort of weird max volume cutoff? Anyway, I found a strange oddity in that CustomDoom's ammo regen functionality doesn't seem to work - not that I expect you to fix it, but it still seems odd, since it works with most every other mod I've tried.

Otherwise, absolutely loving it. Just wish we could get Bruiser sooner, but I'll deal.
Actually, my main coder and right hand man is the one who made CustomDoom, so he's investigating this. I've also managed to fix the sound issue in my dev build. Just had to put a limit on how many times a certain sound could play at once. Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod!
fakemai wrote:I'm finding weapon slot #4 despite being under enchantment, isn't consuming mana. Also, while not strictly your mod, the gib system interacts very badly with Colourful Hell's black lost soul, the one that spawns hordes of bees. If you end up murdering a whole lot of them the game can easily turn into a slideshow. For reference the lesser bees are in decorate/lostsouls as actor BlackLSoul2 if you want to address that. I just turned the gibs off.

EDIT: Almost forgot to thank you while I'm at it! This is a quality mod and a ridiculous amount of fun to romp through the game with.
Thank you for the praise! As for the mana issue, it has been fixed on my dev version and will be fixed in the next release. And for the gore, the custom gibbing has been removed in the next version and became the standalone Universal Gibs. So that won't be an issue in the next version.
GrazewoundZero

Post by GrazewoundZero »

How do I update? Is it automatic or do I need to download the mod again?

I pretty much downloaded a copy around when first released.
primavoltage

Post by primavoltage »

is there an option for disabling smoke effects like the HOD-Revenant Version for the next update? Because its quite laggy especially the effects of Belial Cannon attacks and the barrel explosion....

(btw... im using drfrag's LZDoom Source Port since im playing doom in a vintage laptop...)
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

There will be in the next update, which will come out sometime next week.
Brohnesorge

Re: Hearts of Demons - BARON [0.9] 1/19/19 The Final Beta

Post by Brohnesorge »

It's been many moons, many months, nearly a damn year, but it is time: Time to release The Final Beta. Hearts of Demons - BARON version 0.9. Release candidate 1. What does that mean? Well, outside of polish, caulking missing sounds or sprites, and some minor features, the mod is feature complete! There are still some minor things, like sprite inconsistancies and whatnot, but in terms of play, everything works and is there. If not, obvs let me know so we can fix it.

The HUGE changelog. I may have forgotten somethings. Many many things were worked on, redone, redone again. The Highlights are:
-CVARs to toggle VFX.
-New sprites for The Baron's hands.
-Several QoL updates.
-Melee progression overhaul.
-Expanded Carnage effects
Spoiler: The changelog
Alright that changelog isn't the best but there were so many changes that GitLab couldn't display them all.

Either way, have fun and now more than ever, keep me posted.

EDIT: If you downloaded last night, redownload today. There was a bug that prevented you from picking up the Azazel at full ammo. It has been fixed.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

me being a cheater, got my hands on the hellfire blades. they seem broken, very. (might be why I got them only with cheats) they act like claws and can ground pound, when a rock is pulled up it cannot be thrown, and if you pound again it will stick its sprite to the blades sprite, like they overlapped.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

They are broken and incomplete. I thought I had removed them but apparently not.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Oh yeah, one thing, when i use the enchantment on the Type 99, it uses the old sprites.
Is that a placeholder?
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Couple quick questions...
  • Is the Bruiser Sphere available in the current version?
  • Why is the Type 99 on 4, while the more generally-useful Azazal is on 6? I've never gotten the Type 99 first either; it just feels backwards.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Bruiser sphere is not available currently. The option was a leftover from before it was removed, but it will be making a return in 1.0.
As for the Type 99 thing, I tend to associate certain slots with certain weapon types, rather than weapon usefulness. Slot 4 is usually a machinegun type weapon, so the Type 99 goes there. Slot 6 tends to be plasma or special weapons, so the Azazel with it's multiple functions goes there.

Also, yes, the enchantment sprites for the T99 are leftover from before we updated them. I'll fix that in 0.9.1, which will focus on bugfixes and optimizations. Critical bugs will get fixed ASAP.
LABAL

Post by LABAL »

Hello there! Would you additionally consider swapping Azazel Autocannon's Baron Ball and Fireball modes' muzzle effects? The bright flash on rapid fire is causing some... discomfort, in the form of flicker vertigo. Replacing the effect altogether with a more traditional muzzle flash, especially in the shape of a five pointed star, would also be... quite dope.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”