Super Doom Mario Deluxe - A friend's project

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Clownman

Super Doom Mario Deluxe - A friend's project

Post by Clownman »

A few years back I helped my friend with this, This is basically a remaster/touchup of an old Doom mod called "Super Doom Mario" which was basically a simple sprite/cosmetic replacement WAD.

For the longest time my friend and I kept this private as he was worried about what the public would think (and he thought it would be seen as lame due it being more of a cosmetic mod than a gameplay changing one), However after seeing the original creator - Piero Vallebuona, has actually made a comeback on YouTube after all these years and was impressed with my friends work, I am deciding to finally show this to the public in hopes your impressions can motivate my friend to not be afraid to share his creations, and to feel proud of it. :)

Here is some footage of the original back from 2006/2008

And here it is... REMASTERED~!

The mod comes with a normal version and a "lite" version, the lite version contains no DECORATE and should be compatible with more mods and creations that replace the actors, along with allowing online play with Zandronum hopefully.

The game comes with replacements for almost everything aside from textures, which we were planning but ended up cutting as it was too much of a hassle to replace every single texture. I made a lot of the custom decorations such as the Toads tied up replacing the hanging corpses and a few others came from MFGG, I also made the little Status Bar in the style of SMAS SMB3. My friend did all the DECORATE coding and most of the sprite revamps, including redoing all the Koopa Troopa (Zombies) frames so they weren't JPEG'd to hell, Along with that he also coded the fullscreen HUD. All music has been remastered and replaced, including songs for Doom 1. Most of them are in SPC format while a few others are OGG. The mod is based off the last version which was back in 2008, So we ended up changing a few aspects like the keys and the health items, along with making the bad guys more consistent. Yoshi is still summonable though, Through the MBFHelperDog.

We tried to keep the era and material which all the things came from close to the original mod (Meaning we were limited to stuff GCN/N64 era) which is kind of why there isn't anything from Galaxy and onward included in this, and why the enemy sprites are all different styles.

I also still have older versions of this mod which included different projectile behavior for the Lakitu's and Evil Mario's which I'll probably upload later as a seperate addon file, along with a few other touch ones for those who want a bit more of the older experience. (Yoshi Pinkies and Fireball PlasmaRifle firing sound)

But without further ado... Please enjoy, And share your feedback.

Oh, and before you ask... No, This does not work with Brutal Doom. Don't bother asking.
ronipunk

Re: Super Doom Mario Deluxe - A friend's project

Post by ronipunk »

Great work on this mod. I have only been making mods for Doom for about 6 months now. I have been playing DOOM and mods for years now and since I have lot of time now, I thought I would try making my own. I look where you were going with this mod and I saw another mod you made. Pasta Power! Great work...
ronipunk

Post by ronipunk »

Playing around with the MarioDoom.pk3 and trying figure out how to remove everything but the enemies.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

In case the sprite rotations are made from scratch, this is some seriously great work. Even if not it still looks like a lot of fun!
Holphino

Post by Holphino »

This is absolutely amazing. I left a comment on the video that was uploaded 2 years ago, when it was the only evidence the mod even existed. I feel stupid now cause I asked you for a download from your friend, little did I know you already shared the file publicly, that was my bad. Me looking like an idiot beside, my original comment had one thing right though. You and your friend had nothing to worry about sharing this mod. It's great, Been playing it for hours, and you guys knocked it out of the park. Anyways I just wanted to let you know my thoughts on this, keep up the great work!
TaporGaming
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by TaporGaming »

This should to be used in mayhem 2017
JD-513
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by JD-513 »

Hi there, thanks a lot for creating this, it is really fun to play with these enemies.

By the way, I apologize if this may not be the proper place to ask for this. I was just wondering if would be possible that I could port the enemies from this mod into QC:DE? Would be more of an usage of resources since I will probably be changing the decorate or adjusting it.

Once again, thanks for the great work!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”