Old Flying Physics for DOOM/BOOM Compatibility

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

_mental_

Re: Old Flying Physics for DOOM/BOOM Compatibility

Post by _mental_ »

It's not possible at the moment. A compatibility option for this needs to be implemented.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What precisely is needed here? Just the change to P_RadiusAttack or is there something else?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I thing so. "New" code path has some additions and it's not obvious which of them are be needed in "old" path. Maybe none.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If this really needs a compatibility option, it only needs to force the OLDRADIUSDMG path for everything, including unlimited z-distance for damage calculations.
But I'd like to remove the vertical thrust for non-players from the ZDoom-path anyway because it has been bothering me forever.
Gez

Post by Gez »

There was a video someone from Doomworld made that demonstrated this with a caco swarm in a slaughtermap. I can't remember which one, though, which doesn't help finding it back. Anyway, the cacos arrive across a wide chasm horizontally, and in PrBoom+ they stay horizontal even when pushed back with a rocket launcher. In ZDoom they are scattered vertically. Now visually it makes more sense, but it does make this particular fight that much harder; with the old behavior you don't need to aim up or down.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I would keep existing behavior unchanged as it was here for so many years. Compatibility option is a good solution I think.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I am of the mind that I don't exactly want to see the Z thrust going away completely, either. Compatibility option is best.
Megablast

Post by Megablast »

Gez wrote:There was a video someone from Doomworld made that demonstrated this with a caco swarm in a slaughtermap. I can't remember which one, though, which doesn't help finding it back. Anyway, the cacos arrive across a wide chasm horizontally, and in PrBoom+ they stay horizontal even when pushed back with a rocket launcher. In ZDoom they are scattered vertically. Now visually it makes more sense, but it does make this particular fight that much harder; with the old behavior you don't need to aim up or down.
Yeah exactly, I was unsuccessful in locating what exactly causes ZDoom monsters to want to float all over the place on their own(even without the help of rockets, but don't get me wrong the radiusdamage change you guys are talking about is a fantastic step!)..
A handful of ZDoom pain elementals in a room will usually end up at the ceiling even if it's insanely tall within seconds while in other ports they do move up every now and then but way less frequently.

I could create a demonstration video like the one Gez mentioned with a few examples and toss it on Youtube if it would be helpful in any way.
Last edited by Megablast on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I believe the map was okuplok's map "untitled 2", aka oku2. As seen in this video (not the vid I was talking about, but pretty sure it's the same map). Skip to 11:05 for the caco swarm. Since they stay at the same height, the cacos remain grouped tightly and it's possible (though very hard) to kill them quickly enough with the rocket launcher so as not to to get trapped by the horde.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Megablast wrote:A handful ZDoom pain elementals in a room will usually end up at the ceiling even if it's insanely tall within seconds while in other ports they do move up every now and then but way less frequently.
There's something ZDoom does with pain elementals ( or A_PainAttack? ) which involves vertical momentum, although I'm not entirely sure what. I've never paid too much attention to that code, it's just something I spotted one day and looked into because I was curious.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That only happens in combination with slopes so it's not a compatibility concern.
Megablast

Post by Megablast »

Made a quick vid of the pain elemental behavior I was talking about.

Slaughterfest 3 - map 33: Pain Elemental Comparison

EDIT: Just to clarify Pain Elemental/Lost Soul infighting is a separate issue from the rocket splash but equally as irritating in challenge/slaughter maps, would love to be able to play/design maps in this vein for GZDoom as I think the possibilities are extremely exciting.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Genuinely excited for this change to happen. This non-boom behavior made aiming at flying enemies very awkward in rooms with high ceilings. Hope this compatibility option gets implemented soon.
Killer5

Post by Killer5 »

Sorry for thread bump but are there still any plans to implement this into gzdoom? This thread after its creation remains the top of the list of things I check each day =x.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Killer5 wrote:Sorry for thread bump but are there still any plans to implement this into gzdoom? This thread after its creation remains the top of the list of things I check each day =x.
If the topic is not closed outright, then it's on the list of things to do, but it's not high priority. Things like this gets resolved a lot faster when someone with a little motivation submits a pull request and finishes the work required to make it happen. Otherwise, it simply means no dev yet has had the time nor interest to take this on.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”