Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.3 OUT!]

Post by Batandy »

DarkWarrior1995 wrote:
SamVision wrote:I finally got the time to sit down and play this and I find the first boss to be basically impossible. It does a ridiculous amount of damage and moves too erratically for the me get some good hits in with the whip. But even if I manage to hit the bastard I only do pitiful amounts of damage. It seems like the boss was specifically designed to be beaten with the knife subweapon and without it the boss is basically impossible.
While the Knife sub-weapon does work wonders against the Giant Bat, the Stopwatch sub-weapon is also a viable alternative, if you're fine with the heart cost. It'll stop the Giant Bat, leaving him wide open for the Vampire Killer.

Outside of those options, yeah, he can be quite erratic in his movements.
Or, pick up the axe, throw it when the bat's near the corners of the room, the axe will hit him, bounce on the wall and hit him again. With this tactic you can kill him with 3-4 axe hits and it's possible to defeat him in less than 15 seconds.

I don't think the knife is the ideal choice here, yes it's fast and it's easier to hit him, but it doesn't deal enough damage (like in NES castlevania afterall).
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Batandy wrote:
DarkWarrior1995 wrote:
SamVision wrote:I finally got the time to sit down and play this and I find the first boss to be basically impossible. It does a ridiculous amount of damage and moves too erratically for the me get some good hits in with the whip. But even if I manage to hit the bastard I only do pitiful amounts of damage. It seems like the boss was specifically designed to be beaten with the knife subweapon and without it the boss is basically impossible.
While the Knife sub-weapon does work wonders against the Giant Bat, the Stopwatch sub-weapon is also a viable alternative, if you're fine with the heart cost. It'll stop the Giant Bat, leaving him wide open for the Vampire Killer.

Outside of those options, yeah, he can be quite erratic in his movements.
Or, pick up the axe, throw it when the bat's near the corners of the room, the axe will hit him, bounce on the wall and hit him again. With this tactic you can kill him with 3-4 axe hits and it's possible to defeat him in less than 15 seconds.

I don't think the knife is the ideal choice here, yes it's fast and it's easier to hit him, but it doesn't deal enough damage (like in NES castlevania afterall).

Besides, if Castlevania was easy (Baring Symphony of the Night and maaaybe Harmony Of Dissonance, though I've never played), it isnt a Castlevania game. They're meant to kick you in the balls and make you focus, with some fantastic music to company you, and a dark atmosphere thats hard to replicate, and Batandy, you nailed it. Great job man
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

So the first boss cannot be beaten with the whip? What if I lack the timestop or the axe (or knife), does that mean the game stops there unless you cheat or have clairvoyance?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

SamVision wrote:So the first boss cannot be beaten with the whip? What if I lack the timestop or the axe (or knife), does that mean the game stops there unless you cheat or have clairvoyance?
You can beat any boss with the whip, but without any kind of item it's not gonna be easy.
I really don't see the issue because you can't lack the timestop, axe etc considering there are plenty of subweapon drops before the fight that do not despawn (including the axe which is in the very same room with the boss door), you have to purposely avoid picking up items basically.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

What happened is that I had the holy water, which is completely useless against the boss.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

SamVision wrote:What happened is that I had the holy water, which is completely useless against the boss.
A subweapon which only works on the ground isn't very effective with a flying boss, every boss in the game has weaknesses and strengths against specific subweapons.
DarkWarrior1995

Post by DarkWarrior1995 »

SamVision wrote:What happened is that I had the holy water, which is completely useless against the boss.
Yeah, the Holy Water isn't that great against flying mobs here, let alone the Giant Bat. Later down the road, there might be a boss that can't stand Holy Water. Will not spoil that particular boss, for anyone who hasn't played this yet.

Right now, best I can say really is what Batandy has said already. Just be mindful of sub-weapon drops when you hit those candles.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I think what SamVision is trying to say, is that if there ever was a player wanting to do a hardcore playthrough of this mod (take Shadowserg on Youtube for example) there would be significant difficulty doing so. Some of the aims of hardcore runs is to use no subweapons, take no damage or not picking up iteams. I've personally tried a whip-only run of this and it is a not satisfactory environment given you HAVE to rely on the subweapons a little even against minor mobs of enemies. This isnt to say you should change anything. We're dealing with GZDoom here and it's environment which doesnt necessarily allow for that kind of gameplay. If it were Hexen or Heretic, it would be different.

The player should be able to use the Holy Water like the rest of the subweapons. It is affected by gravity, and if the player throws the weapon based on their mouselook (in this case up) the holy water should be able to go in that direction. Combined with a jump, it can easily be as much utility as an axe would be. Otherwise, it simply sucks for the battle situation and you'll need a different subweapon. Holy Water doesnt tunnel in it's idle states like the Axe does.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

RUNSABER wrote:
I think what SamVision is trying to say, is that if there ever was a player wanting to do a hardcore playthrough of this mod (take Shadowserg on Youtube for example) there would be significant difficulty doing so. Some of the aims of hardcore runs is to use no subweapons, take no damage or not picking up iteams. I've personally tried a whip-only run of this and it is a not satisfactory environment given you HAVE to rely on the subweapons a little even against minor mobs of enemies. This isnt to say you should change anything. We're dealing with GZDoom here and it's environment which doesnt necessarily allow for that kind of gameplay. If it were Hexen or Heretic, it would be different.

The player should be able to use the Holy Water like the rest of the subweapons. It is affected by gravity, and if the player throws the weapon based on their mouselook (in this case up) the holy water should be able to go in that direction. Combined with a jump, it can easily be as much utility as an axe would be. Otherwise, it simply sucks for the battle situation and you'll need a different subweapon. Holy Water doesnt tunnel in it's idle states like the Axe does.
Hm, alright. Since i'm working on a patch that addresses some issues, i might test a possible update for the holy water that gives the bottle damaging properties kinda like in the original game. Not that you'll be able to stunlock enemies to death like that, but it's gonna make things easier for people who'd like to use that subweapon.
The whip has already been updated in this upcoming 1.4 and it will make it easier to damage both smaller enemies and multiple enemies at once (The whip now spawns bigger hurtbox projectiles that also have splash damage with A_Explode. I've playtested it twice and it doesn't break the gameplay of the mod and at the same time feels much better compared to the old railattack tracer method)

Edit: I've just tried it and it works wonders! Will have to be tested further, but it's a keeper!

If anyone wants to have a sneak peek at the patch's changes:

Code: Select all

-Completely reworked whip. It is now way easier to hit small targets, and anything in general.
-Holy Water's flask now stuns enemies and deals +ripper damage before touching the ground.
-Axe Armor's projectiles are now +RIPPER (They don't bounce back when they hit you).
-Axe Armor's melee attack is weaker.
-Reduced player bobbing.
-Candles will now ALWAYS spawn hearts on New Moon and Crescent Moon. (They still have a chance not to drop anything on Full Moon).
-Whip upgrades will not spawn anymore if you've already got a maxed out morning-star whip. (A big heart will drop instead).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Voted for you on moddb :)
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Can't get this to work. GL Accelerated Graphics means no sprites appear. Using DOOM renderer crashes the moment I step into the castle hallway.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hidden Hands wrote:Can't get this to work. GL Accelerated Graphics means no sprites appear. Using DOOM renderer crashes the moment I step into the castle hallway.
What is your graphics hardware?
Batandy

Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

Post by Batandy »

Hidden Hands wrote:Can't get this to work. GL Accelerated Graphics means no sprites appear. Using DOOM renderer crashes the moment I step into the castle hallway.
Update Gzdoom and also if you've got an AMD card, make sure you got the latest drivers.

//

Castlevania V1.4 Released!

Code: Select all

-Completely reworked whip. It is now way easier to hit small targets, and anything in general.
-Holy Water's flask now stuns enemies and deals +ripper damage before touching the ground.
-Axe Armor's projectiles are now +RIPPER (They don't bounce back when they hit you).
-Axe Armor's melee attack is weaker.
-Reduced player bobbing.
-Candles will now ALWAYS spawn hearts on New Moon and Crescent Moon. (They still have a chance not to drop anything on Full Moon).
-Whip upgrades will not spawn anymore if you've already got a maxed out morning-star whip. (A big heart will drop instead).
-Improved MAP01's courtyard.
Download V1.4
https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania- ... estiny-v14

It's a bit overdue, but it's finally here!
This will probably be my final release for this mod. Thank you all for your support!
lazerpipe

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

Post by lazerpipe »

Batandy wrote:
Castlevania V1.4 Released!

It's a bit overdue, but it's finally here!
This will probably be my final release for this mod. Thank you all for your support!
OMG!! I'm so excited! Can hardly wait to try the new version out :)
LOVE this mod!
Thanks so much for all your hard work Batandy!
Dr. Crowley
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

Post by Dr. Crowley »

Well, thank you just for this reference:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”