Has anyone ever written a will?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SouthernLion

Has anyone ever written a will?

Post by SouthernLion »

I keep trying to finish mine and I keep getting really creeped out and can't finish it.....

I should really find a lawyer, because I have so many questions that the internet isn't really answering...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Has anyone ever written a will?

Post by wildweasel »

RexS wrote:I should really find a lawyer, because I have so many questions that the internet isn't really answering...
That's most likely the best course of action. As far as I'm aware, nobody here is a lawyer, so anything anybody here (myself included) tries to tell you about legal advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, a friend of the family once gave us a glowing recommendation for Legalshield; if nothing else, that's a place to start.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, I'd agree that a lawyer is pretty important for a will. You are trying to create a document with no legal ambiguity that will be acted on after your ability to have any input into the process is gone (indeed, the document is your input). So you want that to be as legally tight as possible.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I think you guys are right.. thank you. And thank you for the link wildweasel, I could at least use that to get a draft going.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The real value of using a lawyer for something like this is that they already know the potential situations, pitfalls and problems from a poorly written will; situations, pitfalls and problems that a layman may never even think of - yet which can cause difficulties and hold-ups when the will needs to be acted on.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The biggest issues I ask any client to consider whether I draft for them or not:

1. Who the executor is (and, if they are to be separate people, who the guardian of your dependants should be)
2. Where's the will going to be kept and who's going to know that
3. Any tax planning issues (and issues relating to any overseas assets)

But yes do please get a lawyer who practises wills and estates in your jurisdiction.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Why would you need that?
I mean, in case when you will...umm WILL be really necessary, you will have much more serious problems than "I dont write my own will when I have possibility".

I dont say it pointless, there are different situations in life, I just curious to know "why". Something personal?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

that is something you shouldn't really pry people about, really.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nevermind that "but I won't have to worry about it by then" is comically missing the point.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Apeirogon wrote:Why would you need that?
I mean, in case when you will...umm WILL be really necessary, you will have much more serious problems than "I dont write my own will when I have possibility".

I dont say it pointless, there are different situations in life, I just curious to know "why". Something personal?
Well, it's true that I'm only 30, but a lot of us don't always get the luxury of knowing "it's coming". October 3rd of last year my wife, my niece, and myself were in a very serious car wreck that killed my wife and almost me. I was in a coma for 3 days, and most the people I know and love knew I was in a car accident before I did. We were visiting my wife's family in another state, when my mother got a call from her mother "My [daughter] is dead, my [daughter] is dead..! I don't know if [RexS] is alive. I have to go." *Click.* It took them a day to finally find out which hospital I was in. I had been ripped out unconscious with the jaws of life and airlifted by helicopter to some hospital I didn't know (this was my first time in this state, much less city). If my head was 1 or two inches to the left or right, or if I was driving instead of her, I could be dead too, or instead of her.

Without going too far in to the horrors of all of this (you guys can PM me if you want, I don't want to darken this thread up, [my official topic about this is here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58116 and I don't even remember making that, pre-EDIT.] Hell, I don't even remember much of October of November between the head injury, shock, grief etc) the point is I we aren't promised tomorrow. My wife is a great driver, and she was sober, and she was taken physically form this Earth and I was inches from the same happening to me. If anything where to happen to me, I would want a few things set up for people I love. I have three cars, two of which are extremely significant in meaning to me and my wife, so I want those two to go to a close friend who will take care of them and honor that meaning. I have a good amount in value in firearms, jewelry, and cash that I would want to go to certain people (such as some of my money going to my sister-in-law for the sake of the niece that was in the horrible crash with us.)

So yeah, the short story is, we aren't promised tomorrow. I just want to make sure a few things are lined up just in case.
Last edited by SouthernLion on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Having been in the position when someone I knew died intestate, it can be a major pain in the ass to try and get things sorted out. Even a relatively simple estate can have little bits and pieces that can take months (or longer) to get finalised. I'm not talking about major "why did he leave everything to them" kind of disputes. I'm talking about apparently relatively inconsequential details that cause those left behind all sorts of stress, misery and uncertainty until everything is finally resolved.

The will is not for you, its for those you leave behind who would have to clear up your mess if you don't have one.

[edit] That was mostly in answer to Apeirogon's post. [/edit]
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Enjay wrote:Having been in the position when someone I knew died intestate, it can be a major pain in the ass to try and get things sorted out. Even a relatively simple estate can have little bits and pieces that can take months (or longer) to get finalised. I'm not talking about major "why did he leave everything to them" kind of disputes. I'm talking about apparently relatively inconsequential details that cause those left behind all sorts of stress, misery and uncertainty until everything is finally resolved.

The will is not for you, its for those you leave behind who would have to clear up your mess if you don't have one.
Indeed.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I find that focussing on this can sometimes help with the "I'm thinking about my own death omg this is so morbid" problem.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Enjay wrote:Having been in the position when someone I knew died intestate, it can be a major pain in the ass to try and get things sorted out. Even a relatively simple estate can have little bits and pieces that can take months (or longer) to get finalised. I'm not talking about major "why did he leave everything to them" kind of disputes. I'm talking about apparently relatively inconsequential details that cause those left behind all sorts of stress, misery and uncertainty until everything is finally resolved.

[edit] That was mostly in answer to Apeirogon's post. [/edit]
But they, people "in the position when someone I knew died intestate", dont helpless blind kittens, they still living and thinking human being.
Yes, such situation would and will have some influence on such guys, but they need to be strong and overcome this. Because, if no, then they risk to sacrifice his own great future for the sake of his own great past. After all, we all live only to find something from which, in the end, we can eventually give up.
Probably, google translate and my english lexicon, from three and a half word, make my thought a little bit messy.

But I understand you point, say "sorry" one last time.
RexS wrote:I was in a coma for 3 days
And quite predictable question, how does it feels? Like a looooong dream after which you wake up shrouded with the tubules and wires of a life support system like a mummy of pharaoh in bandages? Dont answer if dont want.

Also, you think about kids? I mean, you will is just a piece of paper with stamp, while you child is a living manifest of you will...in some kind.

Return to “Off-Topic”